Spin bike?

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
Hi,

With the weather not being very co-operative at the moment I am doing most my workouts at home on the Wii, which is fine, but I'm missing cycling. I have started thinking about getting a spin bike at home, from what I've read it's closer to real cycling than a normal stationary bike. I don't want to get a trainer at the moment as I only have a hybrid but I might hopefully be getting a proper road bike this year, in which case I may sell the spin bike and get a trainer instead. But for now I'm thinking spinning for interval training and keeping cycling fitness up.

Has anyone got one or got any recommendations (UK based for where to buy from)?

Cheers,
Fran

Replies

• daz_automatic
    Options
    I'd say spin bikes are a lot closer to real cycling that the traditional exercise bike, but still not entirely the same.

I considered getting one for home use too, but honestly I doubt how motivating I would find it. When I do spin on my own at the gym, despite getting a good burn, it can be a heart-hearted compared to how I perform in a studio class.

Do you have any local gyms which offer spin classes? Maybe that is a better option if you've never done spinning yet? Just to get a feel for it.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Thanks Daz, was trying to avoid gyms and gym fees as I'm unlikely to use it other than in winter. I thought the spin bike might be a good way of doing heart rate zone training as well and different workouts, hills especially - you can get a few workouts online I've noticed, and there were some in a recent issue of Cycling Plus I think...
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I love spin, but like Daz I'm not as motivated outside of the gym atmosphere. Snow has a great set of videos she uses to amp up the at home work called Sufferfest. Check it out.

I hate gym fees also, so I got my fitness certification so I could teach spin. It doesn't pay much, but I do get a free membership and it forces me to spin twice a week, which is nice during those times where I am less than motivated. I used to teach all sorts of classes, but now I only sub Strength, Bootcamp and heaven help me Step from time to time.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    After I did a couple of spin classes I contemplated getting one at home and searched on eBay.

A used one comes up on there every now and again...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Exercise-Fitness-/15273/i.html?_nkw=spin+bike
  • dtpss188
    Options
    I know little about the actual "spin" bikes. However, I have a stationary bike, a trainer, and rollers. I far prefer the trainer and rollers over the stationary bike. Why not use your hybrid on a trainer? As long as the tires are not too knobby I would think it should work. My wife has had a mountain bike on the trainer with knobby tires and it worked fine. Of course if you fine it challenging to work out at home vs. the gym (spin classes) then that is another story. Good luck.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My wife has had a mountain bike on the trainer with knobby tires and it worked fine.

You'd be better with a trainer-specific tyre; there are a few manufacturers do them - I use Schwalbe Insider's, they're bright blue :laugh:

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/turbo-training/insider/
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    We use spinning bikes at my tri club but I still prefer using my trainer, +1 on the suggestion to put a trainer tire on your hybrid and get a trainer rather than a spinning bike. You may also want to have a look at a series of DVDs called Spinervals - some great workouts and suitable for any type of bike (spinning or road/hybrid etc on a trainer)
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Great - thanks all for the advice - for some reason I thought trainers were just for proper road bikes. The hybrid I have is closer to a road bike - Specialized Vita Elite, has thin (but not as thin as a road bike) tyres which are pretty smooth and rigid forks. I'll have a look into it as sounds a better option as will be able to use it if (sorry, *when*) I get a road bike!!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I got a spin bike at the beginning of the off season. I love it and I'm on it about 4 times a week. It does help to have some spinning dvds to stay challenged. I find myself slacking just a bit if I'm only riding with music.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    buy a cycle ops fluid trainer. They rule.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    if the hybrid has 26" or 700c tyres then you'll be fine with a turbo trainer.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer for your bike.

http://www.probikekit.com/ca/training-performance/turbo-trainers-cycle-rollers.html

Those guys are out of the UK. Go for a CycleOps or Kurt Kinetic machine.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    OK, so now I'm definitely leaning towards the trainer side of things - but need to learn more about turbo trainers and rollers, so will do some online research. My tyres on the hybrid are 700 x 28c - seems like they'll be okay...
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    OK, so now I'm definitely leaning towards the trainer side of things - but need to learn more about turbo trainers and rollers, so will do some online research. My tyres on the hybrid are 700 x 28c - seems like they'll be okay...

That tire size will work just fine. The reason a trainer tire is recommended (I have a yellow Continental) is 1- they stay cool, and 2- you don't wear out the center of your tire. I use a Cycleops Jet Fluid Trainer for what it is worth.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    probably one of the better budget options according to the Cycling Plus grouptest late last year was the Cycleops Mag Trainer, or if you can stretch a few quid more the Mag+ with on-bike tension adjuster...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39522

definitely budget for a trainer tyre if you can though - not only do treaded road tyres overheat and shred up, but you pretty much wear a flat-top in them, and if you then ride 'em on the road, it makes cornering "interesting" :laugh:
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Yes I think I saw that article that reviewed about 10 different trainers - unfortunately I recycled the mag and didn't keep it as I wasn't thinking of getting a trainer until next Winter when I might have a road bike, I just assumed they wouldn't be any good for a hybrid! But that one does ring a bell and came out well - thanks - going to have a proper look online over the weekend :-)
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    This one is reduced and I think Tacx is a good name? It has a brake as well as the 10 resistance levels - is that good?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=86561
  • Frannybobs
    Options
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    the Satori's used by a bunch of the pro teams as their warmup trainer, mainly I think because it can generate BIG resistance at low pedalling rates (which can mean that it'll be a little "choppy" at low resistance/easy spinning unless you've legs on you like Fabian Cancellara!). To be honest, I don't really massively rate the lower end Tacx trainers (despite having one of their silly money ones...) Also, to be frank, the customer support isn't great (unless of course you can write emails in dutch...) - even for the £1000+ machines.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Thanks, TBY, yes don't think I'll be generating the same power as the pros

To be honest thinking if I need to factor in a mat (I have wooden floors) and tyres then I should keep at the lower end - Mag+ looks good and the Minoura B60-R has good reviews on a few sites too.

By the way, the Garmin Edge 800 will work with a turbo trainer won't it - do I need to get anything extra for it?

Thanks!