Dancing goals for the year

Options
missdaisy79
missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
So, belly buddies, what are your dancing goals for the year?

Personally, I would quite like to get back to dancing after suffering a quite unpleasant back injury just before christmas, but only when the pain has subsided enough to feel comfortable with it.

At the end of last year I was starting to feel quite disillusioned with dancing, so hopefully I can recover my mojo and rediscover the love for belly dancing that I know I still have somewhere.

I also have two saiidi workshops booked this month, so I'm looking forward to doing those. I'm interested in the folkloric dances, so a bit of stick swinging should be fun.

Replies

• raelorien
    raelorien Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I want to dance to live music and learn to drum.
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I have a cane workshop coming up in the next month or two as well! I did a couple folkloric numbers last year (Hagallah and Ghawazee). Ghawazee involved cane and zills... yes, at the same time!! I have a choreography workshop on Saturday, which is being taught by a dancer I really admire. She's THE belly dancer at our local Rennaissance Festival, and she's amazing. :love: The choreo will involve a veil intro.

This year my goals, besides my constant goal of becoming a better more versatile dancer, are a bit different. Last year I nearly impoverished myself with all the workshops I attended and costuming bits I bought. This year, I vow to be a bit more choosey, because I simply can't do/buy EVERYTHING like I wish I could. It also cost me energy. I felt so overwhelmed with all the shows to be performed, workshops to attend, and costuming to be completed that I started to dread going to classes and practices. :cry: That is certainly not why I got into dancing. Like you, I want to rekindle my love for the dance, and that means giving myself breaks every now and again. It seems like that has a way of recharging your mojo (love that you used that term) and creativity. Let's get our belly love back and allow ourselves to enjoy!!

As far as specific dance goals, I'd like to learn how to use the fanveils I have and maybe start working with some voi. I have a pair of poi, and I would love stick some veils on there, and start swinging!! I also want to improve my flexibility and liquidity in my dance. Thanks for creating the topic!! Hope I haven't written too much of a novel here!! Cheers to 2013, bellybuddies!! :drinker:
  • shimmygirl411
    shimmygirl411 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My belly dance goals are similar to Izanami's. I am hoping to reduce the number of performances, workshops, and costuming this year and focus more on dancing for me.

I would like to learn to drum this year. I'm not certain my schedule will work for the class I want to take though. I'm hoping I can make it work.
  • imalexgirl
    Options
    As a beginner, I am awaiting my first public performance. We have a recital the first week in March. Depending on how I feel about that, I may sign up for more classes. Even if I don't take more classes this year, I will still keep dancing for exercise.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have taken the very big step of joining a performance troupe, so that's my goal for the year -- getting to the point where I am comfortable performing in public. I now have three classes a week -- technique, the troupe, and a rehearsal.

I also joined the troupe midway through the year, which means I will have the challenge of learning their existing repertoire on my own before the big performance in June. Choreography is most definitely my weak point as a dancer, so this is a daunting jump for me.

An unexpected goal: I'd danced with many of these women before, and it was wonderful to get hugs when I walked into the class. It was equally wonderful to discover that they have a tradition of happy hours after class. (I'll have to budget in the calories!) Slipping into an hour or so of bawdy girltalk was such a treat -- something I didn't realize was missing in my life. So another dance goal is to become more deeply engaged with the wonderful women I dance with.

I've offered to help with a shimmymob fundraiser -- if the powers that be in the school agree, that's another goal.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to be in this group! I have only been dancing about 3 years and my first performance was at Tribal Fest last year! It was an amazing experience. I really loved seeing all of the beautiful dancers of every age and size absolutely owning the stage! My goal is to get stronger and healthier for this year's performance! Good luck to all of you with your goals!

And thank you Aya for friending me and pointing me towards this group! :heart:
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As a beginner I want to be able to perform along with our ATS student troupe. I paticipated in our Holiday Hafla for friends and family, but would love to improve and gain enough confidence to perform in public. I also want to work on my costuming and make it to some more fusion classes.:happy: .
  • lentigogirl
    Options
    As a beginner I want to be able to perform along with our ATS student troupe. I participated in our Holiday Hafla for friends and family, but would love to improve and gain enough confidence to perform in public. I also want to work on my costuming and make it to some more fusion classes.:happy: .

Just performing in the Holiday Hafla is huge -- congratulations!

My first public performance (restaurant, part of a troupe) will be March 24. Only the thought of fitting the costume is saving me from two months of stress eating!
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As a beginner I want to be able to perform along with our ATS student troupe. I participated in our Holiday Hafla for friends and family, but would love to improve and gain enough confidence to perform in public. I also want to work on my costuming and make it to some more fusion classes.:happy: .

Just performing in the Holiday Hafla is huge -- congratulations!

My first public performance (restaurant, part of a troupe) will be March 24. Only the thought of fitting the costume is saving me from two months of stress eating!

Thanks! A restaurant? How exciting!! A friend of mine loves doing this. Have fun :)
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    that is quite exciting. The only restaurant dancing I've ever done was where I was a customer and they encourage you to get up and dance with the dancer. They had to turn the music off to get us to sit down!
  • lentigogirl
    Options
    This is with a troupe and 99% of the audience will be our friends and family!
  • melw2910
    melw2910 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My goals for the year are to master my fan veils for a solo performance and get some fab group performances in at Haflas coming up.
    No workshops planned yet but we usually get to a few through the year.
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    To be able to do an entire routine and not look like akward doing it *LOL*
  • lentigogirl
    Options
    I survived my first performance! We're starting rehearsals for the next already -- a big veil number.

And just to defuse the stereotype that we only dance to Middle Eastern music -- check this out, from another company in the school. It was by far the highlight of the show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ZzZ6FBEZc&sns=em
  • raelorien
    raelorien Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @Lentigogirl

That is awesome! I hope that you had a wonderful time with your first performance!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    1) to restart dancing and 2) actually be on on time with the music and 3) and convince myself that I'm worth spending money on for a nice bedlah set.

goal 1 Is currently in work as I went back for the first time in a year and a half and danced at practice with my old troupe last night.