Not losing while breastfeeding

Options
I am 38 years old and have birth to a 8 pounds of baby two months ago via c-section. I have 20 pounds to lose but I like to start with 15 pounds first. That's my goal. I am 4' 11'' so pretty short. I am logging 1700 c. everyday 500 of those coming from breastfeeding. Sometimes I go a little above that but not below. I have been doing this for 4 weeks now and have not seen any result. In fact, I gained a pound. I don't know what I am doing wrong. With my first, I did not diet but I didn't lose until I weaned him off. Is there any other mamas who can't lose like me? I thought you lose while breastfeeding? No?

Replies

• CaliSteph
    CaliSteph Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi -

With my first, I lost some initial weight after I gave birth but then started losing more when my son was between 3- 6 months.Even so, despite working out and counting my calories, I held onto about 5 pounds until after I weaned him. In the end, it took me about a year to lose all the baby weight. I'm hoping to get the same this time around as well, but it's been slower. I'm hoping to lose 20 pounds as well.

Don't worry, you can do this! I know its frustrating but just keep on going.

Good luck to you!
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    Hi,
    iam in the same boat.i delivered in August to a 9lb 7oz baby girl. and normally what happens for me is i do initially loose the weight right after birth, but i always some how pick that weight right back up. so i will loose about 15-20lbs after birth, then with in 2mths after giving birth i will start to pick it all back up even though i am not over indulging,well not a lot of the times anyway, but like the other member i would usually loose it all once i wean from breastfeeding. so after this birth i just gave myself a year to get back to my pre-preg. weight. hope this helps:)
  • reeniebean19
    reeniebean19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got a diet plan done by a nutrionist and exercise management professional just recently because I wasn't losing weight either. I have a 3 month old baby who is exclusively breastfed. What I realized is that I wasn't eating enough calories. Therefore, my body was apparently clinging on to my fat stores to use for breastfeeding purposes. Because I workout each day and burn an average of 500-600 calories doing that, in addition to the approx. 500 I lose to breastfeeding each day, my plan shows that I need to be eating about 2200 calories a day for optimal weight loss and optimal breastmilk production. Those calories should be consumed in small meals every three hours and should include a lot of protein, low fat dairy, and fruits and veggies. As soon as I started following that diet to a T, I have started losing weight! I started that diet 3.5 weeks ago and have lost 8 pounds. Hope this helps!
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, but I have an 8 month old! I lost an initial 30 lbs after a 50lb gain durring pregnancy, but can seem to drop any more! It so frustrating when all you hear is "while breastfeeding, you'll just watch the weight just fall right off.." So much for that theory! With starting rugular foods and snacks I am down to feeding/pumping 3-4 times a day. I just recently got back to logging my food just to have an idea of what and how much I am eating.
    reeniebean19 - That does make sense.... I wounder if I am eating too little also. Thank you for the information!
  • diannajoe
    Options
    Same here my first is 7.5 months old and I have lost nothing except the initial 20 lbs from labor.. It seems like my body is trying to hold onto what I have so i guess I will be one who loses after I wean. Oh well
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I lost 16 lbs initially (I gained a tota of 20 lbs during my pregnancy but I am still in the obese category and have about 60 more lbs to lose). It has been over a week and even though I am eating very healthy/clean, breastfeeding around the clock, and staying very active during the day taking care of a toddler and a newborn the scale hasn't budged. I have actually gained a pound and I am worried I won't be able to lose anymore weight or that I will start gaining. I am not too sure what to do either.
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    So should I just accept the fact that I will not lose until I wean? Just curious...
  • harmonyb23
    Options
    With my first I lost the baby weight straight away due to being so young. When I had my second at the age of 21 I struggled to lose the weight I had put on during pregnancy. I found that I could not lose weight whilst I was breastfeeding my son. When he stopped wanting the breast at about a year old I started doing a healthy eating diet (watching my calorie intake) and found I still could not shift any weight. I eventually tried a drastic diet - The Dukan Diet - and lost a lot of weight in a short period of time (nearly 2 stone in the space of 3 months). I have now had my third child and am watching my calorie intake on here whilst breastfeeding, I am noticing a drop in my weight this time. Sometimes I think we just have to accept that our post-pregnancy and breastfeeding bodies are the way they are. The important thing is that you are still breastfeeding; as it is so important for the development of your child. You have all the time in the world to lose the weight once you finish breastfeeding :-)
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I couldn't lose while breastfeeding. I tried counting to make sure I got a minimum 1800 k/cal. I tried just eating to hunger. Nothing! I decided it just wasn't in the cards for me. I'm just now beginning to focus on weight loss.