46 and potentially fabulous

Options
In the real world I'm 46, married, overweight and exercise-phobic. In my head I'm still 22, size 8 and ice-skating....

I do have the potential to be fabulous in my forties... but I'm more of a "work in progress" than the finished article and thought I'd pop along here to see who my fellow-fabulouses are.

Any top tips or words of wisdom gratefully received....

Nx

Replies

• WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

The only tips I have are move your body everyday and fuel it properly with healthy foods and water.If you do this, good things will happen. =)
  • alusainc
    alusainc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can get 30 minutes of exercise done a day by doing 10 mins in the morning, 10 mins at lunchtime, and 10 mins in the evening. That is how i started losing weight (was 40 lbs overweight) and as the weight loss began to show, it got easier to keep moving. You are on the right path....you want to do something about it...so just do it!

Congratulations....you are at a great age. I LOVE being 43!
  • ladymacaron
    Options
    lol :smile: I just turned 46 too and still think I'm 16 and that I can do absolutely anything but unfortunately my body tells me otherwise:cry: Looking forward to making some new friends. Although, I've been a mfp member for a while, I've only just started tracking my progress within the last 4 days so I can't offer tips yet.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, DESPISE exercise, and am a desk jockey. In MY mind I'm there with you, 22 but out dancing every night. Hubby doesn't dance so my dancing took a drastic stop 20 years ago. Dancing was GREAT exercise. Now, I do Taekwondo to keep me limber. Not only is it great exercise with other people, it's a life skill as well.
  • ptroses
    ptroses Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You should try Zumba classes! It is a lot of fun and a great workout. I always feel like I'm in my twenties again when doing this exercise and it makes you feel sexy too!
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I just turned 48 a couple of weeks ago, but still feel much younger. I look younger, too. I keep hearing/reading people talking about Zumba. I cannot afford classes right now. Can any of you recommend a good dvd to try?
  • erbrat
    erbrat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Rhonda and will be 46 in April...I too have a younger and skinnier version of me stuck inside just yelling to get out and she's going to win soon. I've lost 15 lbs on Weight Watchers and my 12 weeks ends next week and so I started on MFP just last week and loving it so far!! I still have at least 25 lbs to go and may push it further once I reach that goal.

I bought a treadclimber a few months back and have been on it once :sad: I know that the only way to get it done is to GET IT DONE, but I'm a procrastinator when it comes to exercise so maybe we can start a challenge between us, nothing drastic to scare us all off but just something to motivate us to move and feel better about ourselves.

As you can see my ticker below, it's one of the things that will help motivate me to move.:wink:
  • Motria
    Motria Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm 42. My 30's were kindof my glory days: I was doing tae kwon do and hubby taught me snowboarding. Now, between work and caring for 2 small kids, there isn't much opportunity to get out and be active. So I'm doing my best with DVDs and online videos at home (after kiddies' bedtime!). I just discovered the LiveStrongWoman channel on YouTube - lots of short sessions (5-10 min.) that you can put together however you like - I've been doing 15-20 minutes per night, 5-6x/week. Starting to see some results about 3 weeks in.

Good luck and keep at it! :happy:
  • cmmdance
    cmmdance Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello I am a 46 year old wife and mom. I studied dance and taught for many years. So my dancer's body is screaming to get back out. Over the years, I have put on weight from Fertility meds and IVF. Then I went through a period of depression and didn't care about myself.

My husband and I are finally parents to two beautiful children that we adopted from foster care. So now my happier and healthy self is ready to fight back and get rid of this excess weight. I am not looking at it as a diet, but a weightloss journey to finding myself again. I will never be the 115 lbs dancer again, but I will be a healthy and happy mom in a bikini by summer. :bigsmile:

Positive attitude seeks positive rewards. :flowerforyou:
  • luligirl
    luligirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In my mind I'm still 28, I'm still doing power step aerobics with this funky teacher named Izette - and Im wearing a size 6 and sporting a fabulous wardrobe - better than the one I actually had back then... hey its my fantasy right? I sometimes still see her lurking in the mirror... but then the steam from the shower clears and I realize I'm 42, flabby with cellulite and an extra 30 lbs with my five year old standing next to me...playing with my lipstick... wait it was her I saw!

I can't seem to start exercising other than lifting my glass of wine to my lips after work. I'm trying to get 30 min in at lunchtime. Wish me luck.