Anybody in IT?

Options
What are you certified in?
Right now I'm attending a vocational school and I'm trying to be A+ certified and Network+ and probably I'll go for security.

Replies

• SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I work in IT, but not as a technician, I'm just the office manager of an IT company. But still, IT people unite! :)
  • _Thanatos_
    Options
    I'm a Software Developer.. that count?
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm a certified data modeler, but I'm that software side of IT.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm a Software Developer.. that count?

No :P im a software developer too
  • SkyVetis
    Options
    IT support/service desk here. citrix, windows, software, networking connectivity problems - general things. Some basic server and exchange stuff. Also expected to do some usability training and basic data recovery.

No certs actually, some self learning with cisco, N+, A+, programming I struggle with so thats going slowly. You'll want to look into ITIL - boring as hell but most/all IT companies will run some variation of its structure.
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Uh oh, just how boring is ITIL? We were just talking about it briefly at our last staff meeting a few days ago. I was thinking surely nothing could be more boring than Connectwise training (our PSA software) but maybe I was wrong. Damn.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I'm in engineering, does that count?

I'm a network design engineer for a certain large wireless carrier. No certs though. Hell, I only have a GED. Just got in the industry at the right time and worked my way up from the NOC for a crappy ISP in Detroit :)
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I just graduated with a degree in Information Systems. Interviewing tomorrow for a job doing internal tech support for a company here.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    and probably I'll go for security.

Very cool - it's a great job.

CISSP, CISA, CIPP, etc...
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    IT support/service desk here. citrix, windows, software, networking connectivity problems - general things. Some basic server and exchange stuff. Also expected to do some usability training and basic data recovery.

No certs actually, some self learning with cisco, N+, A+

This is pretty much exactly me. I also get to write the technical manuals when we launch new software (woo hoo :grumble: ) and write up the proposals when we need to obtain a new piece of software. Darn my excellent communication skills lol

Here in the next couple years I'll probably move into a product support position (cell phones, iPads, sharepoint) once the lady that does it now retires and I might do some certification before that, but it's all self learned at this point and my employers have no issue with that. Actually sometimes I think they're glad I don't have certs so I won't go elsewhere lol! I started working here when I was 19 so they really don't want to lose my expertise
  • ClarkWierda
    ClarkWierda Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've done everything from system to database administration, application to network programming, server and network monitoring, and computer security. I have no certifications. I've usually been too busy doing the job to get paper that clains I can do the job. When I was interviewing new consultants before the millenium, I usually found an inverse relationship between certications and actual ability. I undestand things are better now, but I don't have that role anymore so can't say.
  • SkyVetis
    Options
    Uh oh, just how boring is ITIL? We were just talking about it briefly at our last staff meeting a few days ago. I was thinking surely nothing could be more boring than Connectwise training (our PSA software) but maybe I was wrong. Damn.

extremely boring! very terminology heavy, even when its not needed. covers everything from managing customer interactions to design and implementation of systems. In practice..a lot of red tape to getting anything done but i guess at least there is documentation for things if you get stuck..for everything! Had to write process guides on everything from password resets to managing the email spam filter on the server.
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    Web developer (HTML and CSS) and currently also learning Silverlight and C#. Also Security+ certified, and I built my own PC.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have a master's in information systems. Currently working as a knowledge base writer/editor, but have also done a fair amount of web development. No certifications, though.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

extremely boring! very terminology heavy, even when its not needed. covers everything from managing customer interactions to design and implementation of systems. In practice..a lot of red tape to getting anything done but i guess at least there is documentation for things if you get stuck..for everything! Had to write process guides on everything from password resets to managing the email spam filter on the server.

its not any more boring than learning ANYTHING else, and its fairly logical - No organization is supposed to use EVERYTHING they have documented, you're supposed to pick and choose the pieces that make sense for you. When I did the intial training I remember thinking "well this makes sense" -- although they did make v3 a lot more complex, or rather it has the potential to lead an organization to an overly complex place.

I think its probably a lot easier to learn if you've already spent some time in operations at a higher level - if you've just been answering service calls there's a lot of stuff there that's "new" to you I'd think.

Also I'm in software too. Did we establish if that counts yet or not ? I'm not a developer though. Product/Engagement manager. I just shipped my product off to maintenance mode though so I guess now I'm JUST an engagement manager?
  • animefiend7
    animefiend7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    IT Service Center Supervisor. Calls, Remote Desktop, pretty generic stuff. Having training on the End User side of things in Windows 7.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Systems Admin here.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Sr. Storage Engineer specializing in data protection & business continuity. Basically - I save the world. Quite literally. :D I love what I do, and the easiest thing ever is the best part of my day. I love nothing more than be able to restore someone's lost work... no matter how small. I'd rather avoid that part by making sure they don't lose it, but...

I've been in IT for 21 years, and had an MCSE, Novell Admin, Compaq Engineering and cabling certifications, most recently, I've held the Tivoli Storage Manager Implementation certification, but ... I gave up the stress of the tests for more work and bigger projects. When I am running an engineering project that the vendor project manager can't run? I need a salary bump. :P

Certifications get you in the door, your resume' looked at. Just be prepared to be able to do and learn anything and everything they throw at you. :)
  • SkyVetis
    Options
    its not any more boring than learning ANYTHING else, and its fairly logical - No organization is supposed to use EVERYTHING they have documented, you're supposed to pick and choose the pieces that make sense for you. When I did the intial training I remember thinking "well this makes sense" -- although they did make v3 a lot more complex, or rather it has the potential to lead an organization to an overly complex place.

I think its probably a lot easier to learn if you've already spent some time in operations at a higher level - if you've just been answering service calls there's a lot of stuff there that's "new" to you I'd think.

I dont know, i've read server admin exam cert textbooks fine but ITIL I struggled with - is a lot of admin but if you dont mind admin processes it'll be fine. I'm happier in piles of hardware and cables :)

You are right that good companies will pull the best practices that fit them and put them in place - good management certainly helps. I do a lot of the team running stuff and negotiating processes with the client so its a constant part of my work :)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I do computer/network security for my company. I am currently a CISSP. Most of my other certifications have expired - CCNA, RHCT, MSCE/A, A+, Network+.

I started out doing phone support for a local isp, and worked my way up from there. I enjoy what I do now. I would like to learn more in the areas of forensics and malware analysis.