Almost 6 years out and gaining weight

Options
I had the gastric bypass almost 6 years ago and lost just over 200 pounds. I notices over the last couple of years I have gained back about 40 pounds and I am freaking out. I do not feel full anymore. I am feeling like I am letting everyone down including me but I still can't resist that chocolate or cake. What is wrong with me? Why am I sabotaging everything I worked so hard for? I just found this site and am willing to give it a try. In being honest, I don't know how long I will keep signing on to track my food but I need to do something.
I am looking for some friends and support!

Replies

• Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with you. What you are experiencing is normal -- and it's what happens when we get complacent and stop using the tool.

I am 8 years out and have also gained weight back. I'm about 30 - 40 above my lowest average (I got down to about 240/250) and I notice that my "fullness" isn't the issue anymore. I don't feel "full" the way I used to -- but I DO have to be VERY cautious about THINKING I'm hungry. Often when I want to eat something (an old bad habit I never quite lost), I forget to really consider "am I hungry?"

The good news is, you still have your tool and you can still use it. I suggest doing a search on www.ObesityHelp.com for what a lot of people call a "pouch reset" -- they can vary from a few days to a few weeks and it's often just going "back to basics."

Don't be discouraged. You can do it!!

Stef
  • kellaha
    Options
    Hi, I'm going on 4 yrs out and hit a platau about a year ago. Now, I'm gaining. I have decided I have to do something. I feel as well like you. Good luck to you. I come and go on this site.I hope to stay around awhile and kick this once and for all.
  • ruth0815
    ruth0815 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 years out from my 2nd surgery. My weight held good for 4 years not that I was thin, but I stayed between 225 & 232. I was content. I woke up one morning with awful stomach pain & vomiting. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. They didn't feed me anything but ice chips and small sips of water so I could swallow my medications for seven days. It turned out that the scar tissue in my abdomen had grown together & blocked my small intestines.The medications were absorbed, but the water & ice chips couldn't pass I had a quart and a half of fluid in my pouch, and it was stretched 10 times it's original size. . I'm now close to 260. I'm so disgusted with myself. I no longer dump from sugar or excess fat without that consequence I have nothing to keep me in line. I also have COPD & suffer from shortness of breath when I exercise. I know that if I start a little at a time I can get my lungs stronger. Maybe we could help one another. Maybe having some one who understands will help.
    Ruth
  • on2anewme
    on2anewme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Debbie and I had my surgery about 4 1/2 years ago. I've let myself gain back about 40 pounds and it feels terrible to know you've gone through this only to fail (again).
    I've done a lot of mind work in the last month and I know part of my problem was that I never really believed I would get thin. Of course there were other things, dut I feel I'm on my way again.
    What is keeping me going so far is telling myself, and really believing, this time that I'll succeed. I'm staying very focused and remembering how awesome I felt at my lowest.
    So far that has kept me honest with myself and on track.
    Good luck to all of you!