Pili's Intro

Options
pili90
pili90 Posts: 302 Member
Hi Girls!
My Name is Pili, I’m from Chile.
Well, I was always the chubby kid, not so much of an active person, I was more stay at home reading kind of kid. My mom always told me how big I was, so this problem has been with me, and I’ve been conscious about it since I can remember. I’m not really tall, 163 centimeter (uhm 5’3 I think) and currently my weight is 80 kilos(176 p). How did I end up here, in such a bad state? Well, three main, and sad, reasons.

When I was 13 my dad died, and I had depression, between the pills and me not wanting to do anything I gained a lot of weight. After struggling for 5 years, I finally was happy again, though just big. When I started the university everything was fine and fun, till I was 21 and the doctor discovered I have hypothyroidism. Basically it means that I gain weight a lot faster than people, had less energy than most and my metabolism works not in the best way. Then that same year I won a scholarship to study in the states for a year, and teach Spanish. It was awesome, i made the best friends ever, had more fun than I could have possibly asked for, and gain so much in so many aspects. Sadly, the American college diet, plus all those amazing candies, and my thyroid condition, became extra kilos. Another possible reason is that I have insomnia, terrible case I sleep like 3 hours a day at most, and at night is when I crave for food. I’ve tried everything for curing it, from pills, to teas, breathing exercises, new pillow, nothing works. So I’m open for advice, and suggestions for “night snacks!Funny thing is I do eat healthy food, I kind of hate fast food and all that, basically because I a good cook and love doing it. But… candies, chocolates… they always win.

So... It was New Year, I was drinking champagne and decided that a change was what I needed. That’s more less when I started to look for help on the internet and by a happy coincidence I found MFP. I’m planning to become a healthier person, not just skinny. I called my doctor, asked for an appointment and asked him what suggestions he had. He said that my target weight should be 54-53 kilos ( 119-116), given my structure and my hormones. He also said that right now I’m mostly fat, 43%. He also suggested 1200 calories a day, just what MFP proposed for me.

The truth is I hate working out, mainly because I feel uncomfortable and clumsy. What I do like, and love, is belly dancing and bikes. I don’t have any clear goals right now, how much should I lose in a month or anything. Right now I just want to get used to eat less and progressively add more workouts. But I could use some advice in this area.
I’d love to meet all of you and I do need support, it is hard for me to keep on track. But I also would love to give support to other.

Pili

Replies

• Acp1010
    Acp1010 Posts: 62
    Options
    Pili, we are here for you!
    I have a few friends who have the same condition as you and it. is. HARD.

I love to eat at night too, and crave chocolate like nobodies business.

Thank you for opening up to us as much as you just did.
    We will be here to help and support you through your journey to weight loss!

I think it would be really great if you wrote another entry on what exactly your condition is to make us more aware of your struggles.
    We would love to hear all about your strength.

KEEP IT GOING GIRL!

And you will succeed

:)
  • pili90
    Options
    :smile:
    You are the best Anna.

I will post about it soon, maybe someone else might relate to it. At least here in Chile it is really common.
  • toodloo
    toodloo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! Congrats on deciding to make a change. :)
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I can relate to a lot of this, depression+ meds is a big part of my weight issue, too. It's tough when just getting up the motivation to leave the house seems like the hardest thing in the world, but if we pull together and focus on doing what we can instead of letting negative stuff make us feel paralyzed hopefully it will come together. I hope to see you hit your goal. Nice to meet you!
  • pili90
    Options
    I can relate to a lot of this, depression+ meds is a big part of my weight issue, too. It's tough when just getting up the motivation to leave the house seems like the hardest thing in the world, but if we pull together and focus on doing what we can instead of letting negative stuff make us feel paralyzed hopefully it will come together. I hope to see you hit your goal. Nice to meet you!

We can overcome everything...
  • PipBnz
    PipBnz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had issues with depression from my early teens, mostly from being bullied at school though, its not easy to deal with and it definitely makes things that should be easy really difficult.

Since then i've made a conscious effort to exercise, keeps my happy endorphins up, but only now am i really trying to eat better.
    It is making a difference and and i have more energy, but i think mostly i'm just getting a buzz from knowing i'm doing something positive for me.

Its great to have you here Pili, looking forward to sharing this journey with you!