Advice needed: Considering teaching

Options
Cliffy94
Cliffy94 Posts: 1,265 Member
Hi everyone,
I hope you are all well, and have had a good Christmas and New Year.
Im 25 and at abit of a crossroad, and im hoping just to sound a few ideas out, and get some opinions and hopefully invaluable advice.

Im considering doing a PGCE in either secondary or post 16 education. Subject wise, im thinking either PE, or if i do post 16 a nutrition/health/sport related area.
My undergrad degree is in Nutrition, Health and Lifestyles, and ive recently become a qualified personal trainer. But ive found it increasingly tough to get into the Nutrition/health and fitness industry.
I also hold qualifications in Youth Work, and have done sports coaching in schools (albeit primary/junior) for the last couple of years. I have worked at a couple of chilsrens summer camps, with the latest camp i was a lifestyle leader teaching class room bassed sessions at a childrens weight loss camp.

Do people think that i have another experience to gain a place on a PGCE course? I know PE is a competitive area apparently?
Also, im not sure whether to go into secondary or Post16 education?

If anyone has any advice or information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Scott

Replies

• susannahsutton1
    Options
    A friend of mine qualified recently as a PE teacher and it is REALLY hard to get a job. Two reasons that she has found...

...schools don't teach as many hours of PE as other subjects, so fewer teachers are needed
    ...you get quite a lot of teachers in other subjects that do PE as a second subject, e.g. another friend of mine is Head of Music at a school and also teaches some PE because of her rowing experience

With that in mind, one of the best PGCE course types at the moment is where you do it mainly in a school, sponsored by that school

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/school-based-training.aspx?sc_lang=en-GB

The advantage of that is once you qualify, you sort of already have a job
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Based on friends that have done this I think you have enough experience.

Consider how you would break down instructions for an 8 year old trying a sport for the first time - some 8 year olds can't throw a ball. Then consider that at 15 children will be starting to make life choices and take on a level of enthusiasm towards sport on their own.

So the choice is going in younger and making the pool of enthusiastic 15 years olds bigger then starting with 15 years olds and the scope of what you can do with them may be wider and closer to what you are comfortable doing.

You have to think what you want to get out of it so you don't lose enthusiasm yourself.

Good luck though.
  • shanitomorrow
    shanitomorrow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I guess have a look at the job websites and see how many jobs are around in the different areas you are interested in - or ask to have a chat with the course tutor at one of the institutions you are thinking of applying to (or all of them).

You have plenty of experience - some people go straight from graduating to a PGCE.

It's more about deciding what you would find most fulfilling, and where there are jobs.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Think carefully. It's a tough job. You will be teaching a lot of kids who REALLY don't want to do it.
    If I had my time again, not sure if I'd do teaching, knowing what I know about discipline (or the lack of it) in schools.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I'm not sure what exactly your undergraduate degree included but might you be eligible for a postgraduate degree in Dietetics? That would make it much easier for you to get nutrition related jobs.
  • Cliffy94
    Cliffy94 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for your replies and advice i really appreciate it!

Susan- thanks for the info and advice. PE teaching was really tough to get into now, but i believe due to the new baccalaureate being introduced it will become a core subject, and there will be more scope and demand for PE teachers especially with the increasing obesity epeidemic. As for the school based training schemes, its something ive considered, but unlike a PGCE its not a universally recognised qualfication, which was one of the draws for me, as i would like to teach in the U.S. or Canada for a year or two.

Fatt to fitty- Very true, and thats a great example with the ball. I appreciate the advice and kind words! Im hoping i will have enough experience, but im only working part time at the moment, so im hoping to go into a local secondary school and do some shadowing!

Shanitommorow- thats some great advice, i will try and speak to a course tutor! Great idea!! i'll let you know how i get on!

Hi Jazz, i see your point, but being a youth worker for years before council finances forced us into redundancy, i enjoy the challenge of trying to get the kids to engage, and its so rewarding when they do and they participate well and enjoy it.

LilMissDB- thanks for your reply :-) Ive considered dietetics and actually applied to leeds and chester, but i decided against it in the end as its more clinical based, and i prefer to work in the community. Dietetics is pretty tough to crack now, and job competetion is fierce

I have also considered due to my undergrad degree, a PGCE in biology too :-)
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Just double check on the school scheme as to whether it gets you a PGCE - my understanding is that it does, in association with the nearest university usually
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have also considered due to my undergrad degree, a PGCE in biology too :-)

This is your best bet as far as I'm aware science is sill a shortage subject and if you're happy to offer a second subject (PE) it will make you more valuable when you come to job hunting.
    However as someone who gave up a well paid career to teach (and has now left the UK as I couldn't find work!) I'd think VERY hard about doing a PGCE. Jobs are scarce and the competition is fierce. Have you had a look on www.tes.co.uk? You'll be able to see what job are on offer as well as view the forums (including Jobseekers & Students/NQT's)

Sorry to be a bit negative but just don't want you finding out at the end of your PGCE! :-)
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options

LilMissDB- thanks for your reply :-) Ive considered dietetics and actually applied to leeds and chester, but i decided against it in the end as its more clinical based, and i prefer to work in the community. Dietetics is pretty tough to crack now, and job competetion is fierce

You can work in the community as a dietitian too although of course you would need to do clinical stuff in the course so they can make sure you can do it. It is true that the competition is quite fierce but usually once you get your foot in the door you are fine - I think most graduate fields are going the same way.
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    I would say that your best option would be to do the PGCE in Biology provided your classification is high enough - they are always called for and you'd have far more chance of a job after qualifying. You could flag up your experience and love of PE to extend your options - as has been said, a lot of schools double up with the teachers and having a multi-talented one is always good. You could also look for the GTPs coming up - that way you train 'on the job' in school and get paid to do so, - I was going to do that but in the end got funding to stay on and do an MA and PhD instead and now teach in uni. Teaching in any capacity is far far harder than people make out, and my friends who are teaching secondary pupils work, quite literally 7 day weeks with very long hours every day. Yes, they have the holiday (but then they prep) but the term time is a living hell for many of them!