do you save calories??

sadanski
sadanski Posts: 21 Member
going out tonight with the Hubs, and I am saving all my calories for a few cocktails and fun food... Do you ever do this? What helps you stay focused? I tried to eat nice and filling protein for breakfast, and ill have another snack later.. but cant wait to indulge a little.. do you feel like you have to work harder the days after to make up for a moment like this??

Replies

• welfeln
    welfeln Posts: 58 Member
    I've never done that only because I'm still pretty new to this program, so it's never come up. I probably would though. Like if I knew I was going out one night and wanted to have a couple drinks or eat something not that great for me, I would try to make choices throughout the day to allow for this. I would also try to get in a good workout that day to give myself some extra calories that day. I do, however, feel like I need to have a killer workout the days after I indulge. It helps me feel better about splurging. :)
  • I always save calories...especially if I know there is some event coming up or if there is somewhere specific that I want to go (i.e. dinner last night turned into Fuddruckers). I still try to eat a little bit for breakfast and lunch but am more conscious of how many calories I consumed (try to keep it under 300) just so I can enjoy more later. I have a REALLY bad habit of not eating breakfast most of the time anyways and only have a nonfat pumpkin spice latte with whipped cream which the calorie count isn't as scary as it could be. I don't really feel like I need to work harder after indulging. If I'm still under my calorie count then I'm doing fine. When I do go over my calorie count (which I have before) then I tend to try and do some type of activity whether it be cleaning, walking, etc. just to try and burn some of the extra calories I consumed.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    If I have an event coming up i tend to drop a couple hundred calories all week long, then make sure I get a good work out in that day and hydrate well before hand. Course most of my big events involve alcohol and dining out. I still make better choices when going out, but i try to go for the week average rather then just the daily average. So long as I stay close hitting my daily calories averaged over the week, im fine. I don't worry about the one day that I went over. its worked so far. I typically only have one night out a month though. That may not work as a every week kinda thing.
  • suzannearaya1976
    suzannearaya1976 Posts: 9 Member
    I'll have a sudo-cheat day, it may not be weekly and I won't binge like crazy but I do believe you have to allow that little bit of living freely or else I know I would give up and completely binge eat and drink lol. I just make sure to work out and still eat all my meals that day but make really healthy choices! There was one evening where I just wanted to indulge in a beer. We were just sitting at home but I had consumed all of my calories and didn't workout or feel like working out right then. So the beer is still chilling in the fridge waiting for me!
    Looks like my Hubby will be happy because I think I'll mostly be the designated driver, then I won't have to worry about the empty calories!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I tend spread my calories over a week, so I can indulge without starving on a particular day. I will also decide to give myself a "vacation" and go a little over my calorie allowance now and then - so I maintain for a day or two instead of losing. I have a goal weight but as long as I'm heading in the right direction, I don't have a specific timeframe for achieving it.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    I have a firm belief that weight is not controlled on a "daily" basis. Even if I go over my calorie allowance one day it's not like I can't "make it up" on the other days. I also believe that every now and again you need a high calorie day to keep your metabolism moving, if you eat the same number of calories everyday your body may start to think that is what you need and therefore slow your metabolism. Dr. Oz, Jillian and numerous others have stated this fact and actually encourage you to have a "cheat day" as some people call it. There is actually a thread on that here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/453281-thoughts-on-having-one-high-calorie-day.

That said the "cheat day" should not be a go crazy and eat whatever you want, you should actually eat no more then your TDEE. Otherwise if you eat 1500 calories 6 days and have a 4000 calorie day on the 7th you have just sabatoged all that you have been working for.

I am staying within my weekly calorie range and 90% of the time and under or at my calorie limit but I do like to put my metabolism to the challenge at least every other week.