What is your weapon of choice?

Options
Leeann1979
Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
Just wondering what racquet everyone uses. I use the Head Instinct, Maria's racquet.

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Babolat Pure Drive. The first model has been discontinued so I have a few of them as reserves. I remember reading once (or hearing) that the Pure Drive was the most popular racquet of all time, with more sold than even the Jack Kramer (wood) or the T-2000 (metal). I do not know if that is exactly true, but I figured if it is popular enough to be considered one of the most popular of all time then it must be a middle-of-the-road racquet. That is, it is not a power racquet and it is not a finesse racquet. Instead, it has a little of both. It is not super heavy; it is not super light. And, I like the weight in the head and the balance.
    They always discontinue the good sports-equipment models. Darn it !
  • mandakins79
    Options
    I use a Prince Diablo... which is also discontinued. But I love it!!
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    About a year ago, changed to the Head Prestige Mid.

I started breaking strings way too often with my previous rackets. The worse time was breaking a string a day after getting restrung. (Do not think those were even pro-line rackets.)

My choice in getting the Head Prestige was partly my playing style and also getting a tighter string pattern to limit breakage (18 x20). Went with a smaller head size, 93 sq inches. I have my strings at the maximum tension (sometimes 5 lbs more; really like the control I get.)
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting back after not playing for 7 years. When I got into triathlons I sold all of my rackets, my stringer, and my ball machine. I was happy to find that Tennis Warehouse still carries the Head Liquidmetal Radical Oversize. I'm going to order 2 or 3 of them when I get my tax refund!
  • bouchienet
    bouchienet Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The last few racquets Ive had have been the Babolat Aeropro Drive, I just keep getting the latest model every couple of years as it suits my topsin game. I've just started to use the RPM Blast string too, which seems to be a pretty good combination, shame my play ability isnt as good as the string and racquet itself haha
  • FitFeden
    FitFeden Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use the Head Radical Mid Plus Liquid Metal. Been using different iterations of the Head Radical for the last 15 years. Great stick. Unfortunately, I've gotten very, very lazy with stringing in the past few years and I have it strung with kevlar mains and poly cross. Needless to say, I don't break my strings too often. : ) Of course, I can definitely tell the difference in the play.
  • chrisshouse
    chrisshouse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was playing with a Wilson Stratus 3 BLX but it broke on me after only 5 months! I wasn't abusing it either. It just was poorly designed and could see the head was flawed after it was broken. So I'm researching new rackets now. I'm currently playing with my 5 year old Head Liquidmetal 4. I see they now are up to 8. LOL! I've tried a few Wilsons & Princes and they are too light for me. Sadly, I can't find a Head dealer near me so I need to get a demo online. So hard to judge without feeling it in your hands.
  • Leeann1979
    Options
    I was playing with a Wilson Stratus 3 BLX but it broke on me after only 5 months! I wasn't abusing it either. It just was poorly designed and could see the head was flawed after it was broken. So I'm researching new rackets now. I'm currently playing with my 5 year old Head Liquidmetal 4. I see they now are up to 8. LOL! I've tried a few Wilsons & Princes and they are too light for me. Sadly, I can't find a Head dealer near me so I need to get a demo online. So hard to judge without feeling it in your hands.

Wow!! if I remember correctly, the Stratus 3 is super expensive....I have the Liquidmetal 4 too, but I don't use it anymore. I took a chance and ordered it from Tennis Warehouse and wasn't crazy about it. I love Head rackets. The Speed rackets are nice too!!
  • chrisshouse
    Options
    Wow!! if I remember correctly, the Stratus 3 is super expensive....I have the Liquidmetal 4 too, but I don't use it anymore. I took a chance and ordered it from Tennis Warehouse and wasn't crazy about it. I love Head rackets. The Speed rackets are nice too!!
    [/quote]

Yes, it was very expensive: $229! I got a credit from the retailer but they only sell Wilson, Prince & Babolat. I demo'd the new Prince & Wilson but may need to give the Babolat a chance.
  • Common89
    Common89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    After hitting with rackets with 110 sq inch heads for 10 years, this year I finally switched to a midplus (Head Youtek Radical) and it has been AMAZING. So much more control and spin, which is what I needed, not a ton of power.
  • Leeann1979
    Options
    After hitting with rackets with 110 sq inch heads for 10 years, this year I finally switched to a midplus (Head Youtek Radical) and it has been AMAZING. So much more control and spin, which is what I needed, not a ton of power.

Andy Murray's racket?? If and when I change rackets, I was considering this one!
  • Common89
    Common89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well, Murray has the Radical Pro while I have the Radical MP. I couldn't even tell how they are different, but I know that they are lol.
  • chrisshouse
    Options
    Just got finished demoing 4 different Head rackets and ended up getting the LIquidmetal 8. Hope that was a wise decision. There were features of each racket I liked.
  • mozzypug
    mozzypug Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Djokovic's youtek head racquet, but i used to be mainly prince and babolat
  • Leeann1979
    Options
    Djokovic's youtek head racquet, but i used to be mainly prince and babolat

I used that racquet last year. Its a nice racquet. I got a lot of control with it. Now my boyfriend uses it. Not sure why I stopped lol.
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    Gamma T-7 most days. Prince Original Graphite once in a while.