Fresh Meat

Options
I just signed up for Fresh Meat this weekend. I am so excited to start derby next month!

Replies

• MeanieD
    Options
    Cool! Where are you at?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm also fresh meat derby. Getting close to passing assessments, but a few moves are still so "unpassable" for me as of yet. Just keep skating....
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club :) I've been skating my leagues training group for a month come this Saturday. How is your fresh meat program put together? Mine has 3 levels that have to be passed before we become bout worthy.
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am in Bristol, TN and will be doing the Fresh Meat training for the Little City Roller Girls out of Johnson City, Tn. I'm not sure how the Fresh Meat training will work. It starts on January 6th according to the program from the last bout. From what I have read online the training last about 4-5 months and there are several levels of certification that you have to pass before you make it on to one of the teams.
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oh that's interesting. My league doesn't have a set amount of time that we are Crash Test Hunnies. We test at the pace that is comfortable for us. Of course there's certain skill sets and WFTDA testing that we have to do prior to being bout worthy, but I like not having a deadline.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I am in Bristol, TN and will be doing the Fresh Meat training for the Little City Roller Girls out of Johnson City, Tn.
    My league was JUST there on Dec 8th playing you guys. How fun! I'm with the Charlotte Roller Girls in Charlotte, NC. At our league, we have two "days" of assessments. Day 1 is more individual abilities, based on the WFTDA skills. Day 2 is the contact stuff. I still can't get my 25 in 5 in and my lateral moves suck. True story...one of the trainers used the word "sucks" to describe my lateral form. :laugh:

But passing both days of assessments only makes me eligible to roster. I still have to be good enough to be picked for a bout. But I'll just be so stoked to skate in practice scrimmage, I'm not sure I'll care when I'm picked for a bout.
  • twilightlvr79
    Options
    I was at the bout on the 8th. Your team has some amazing defense. I don't know exactly how the training and assessments are going to go I am only going by what was posted on the website. The actually "boot camp" lasts about 4-5 months but I think you can repeat it until you pass all of your assessments. I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks.
  • cstalwick
    cstalwick Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am also FM!! Started in September for my 24th birthday bought all my gear!!!
    I Am Also very CLOSE to passing We are required to pass a 25 laps in 5mins and I am sitting at 24 laps

Anyway Just wanted to say HI

I am in Lethbridge Alberta Canada!!!
  • BreakingBackSunday
    BreakingBackSunday Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the best sport in the world! I read a great article today about keeping yourself motivated to be a better skater. Whether you've been playing a week, two years (like me) or 10 years, I think everyone can always be pushing themselves harder <3<3

http://www.rollerderbyathletics.com/stop-sucking-start-winning/
  • twilightlvr79
    Options
    I went to my first on skate practice Monday night and although I have been pretty sore for the last couple of days I absolutely loved it. I can't wait for the next practice!
  • cstalwick
    cstalwick Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is very addicting!!! :) Glad you enjoyed it!!! and the soreness does get better a bit hahahah!!