Hello - Intro

Options
Hello all! My name is Briana and I found a lump in my left breast in September and after a flurry of tests I found out I have breast cancer at age 34. I'm going through chemo right now and would love support. I started MFP in April and until September had lost 25 lbs and I think the weight loss helped me find the lump!

I have fallen off the bandwagon since being diagnosed and would like to get back into the MFP lifestyle again - but more fruits and veggies and I've been reading about cancer and there is so much that I worry about has contributed to it - including sugar.

Would love to meet other survivors or people going through this.

I have a blog too, if you are interested - kickbreastcancer.blogspot.com

Thanks!
Briana

Replies

• longbird
    longbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Briana, welcome to the group! Sorry, it's a bit quiet in here.

Great blog, and great to see how you're keeping on top of things, keep it up! I blogged privately for a few months during and after treatment for cervical cancer last year. It was such a help, both for me to get things off my chest, and I for the friends and family I wrote it for, especially those who otherwise had no idea how to react, or even how to BE with me.

I took up MFP once my energy started to return at the start of this year. I'd crept up to around 25lb overweight over the last 5 years - mainly as a result of eating the same portions as my 6'5" hubby! - and put on more when the treatments stopped me exercising, but I'm back in control now and loving it :-D

Wanna be MFP pals?
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

I've never blogged??? Wouldn't know how to begin?

In the form of introducing myself, I am also a cancer survivor. I had Thyroid cancer. The Palpatory/Follicular type. We found it in 2005 and it's been in remission since 2007. It had spread to the lymph nodes, parathyroid, lungs and behind the chest wall. They removed the entire Thyroid and part of the parathyroid.

Talking about healthy foods to suppress cancer, one I read about which I incorporate in my protein shakes is flax seeds. I read where it is good for us. Although, I did just read on the ACS website where more research is needed to absolutely prove it suppresses cancer growth in humans. UGH... well, anyway, can't hurt! and it did prevent it in other studies. http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/complementaryandalternativemedicine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/flaxseed
  • amyc0128
    Options
    Hello I'm Amy Iam a 16 year Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor! I have delvoped neuropathy in my hands, legs and feet as a result of the chemo. I have found in the last 3 years it has improved with exercise.
  • Dominique37
    Dominique37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm a two time colon cancer survivor, and I'm tired of being sick and tired, so I've decided to make a change. After reading Joel Fuhrman's book "Eat to Live" and watching two documentaries "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" & "Vegucated", I decided that I wanted to change what I put in my body and how I treat my body.
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    hi im ashlea, and a 2x cancer survivor. ganglioneuroblastoma (softball sized tumor behind my left lung, and had a thoracotamy done) when i was 2, and osteosarcoma of the jaw in 2011. i had to do chemo the first time around, but luckily the tumor in my jaw was low grade so i didnt need chemo the second time around. im at the highest weight ive even been, and ready to lose 30ish lbs, eat healthier, be more energetic, and feel better about myself

feel free to add me!
  • kurting81
    kurting81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey Briana!

Welcome to the group. It's amazing the information that is out there on what causes cancer. I've definitely changed my lifestyle too since being diagnosed over 5 years ago. I live on fruits and vegetables and honestly have never felt better. Good on luck on your road through chemo and kicking cancer! Stay strong!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hello I've been around a while I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer 6 years ago still Cancer Free Welcome