Team Jillian - Week 1 Challenge

Options
Welcome Team Jillian Members!!! :happy: I am sooo thrilled to be your team captain! I can't wait to celebrate all everyone's success! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you reach your goals and I will do my best to help in any way I can! I will try to friend everyone, but if I miss you, please friend me! Also, each of you should friend each other. Support from team members is critical to your success!!

Here is our team:
TERIHADDAD
VICKYG1
MISPRINTEDLIES
MGEAUX
SARAHCLARK2001
JOSIESOLES
AJRICH1
TREACLE35
MCCQUEEN927
APRIL_NICOLE1981
GIFTSBYNATURE
HEIDICHRISTON
EDEAN8085
JENNILEEB1680
LELASUTT
RACKADOO
HYDER1
RRAKCARTER
HAWKEYEJEN1979
TRACCIC
ALSISON
PAMASTORI
RHEGER
WHISKEYHUT

I will post a weekly weigh in thread & a new weekly challenge every Monday night by 11pm and it will close Wednesday morning Eastern Time! PLEASE post your weekly weigh ins during this time, if you are not by a computer and cannot weigh in to the group thread please send me a message with your previous week's weight and your current week's weigh and I will post for you. If you do not you will automatically be removed from the group, and I DO NOT want that to happen to anyone!!!

Now onto the fun stuff!!! For this week's challenge there are two parts!

First, I would like each of you to really make a plan to be successful for the next 12 weeks. Plan and organize for a successful goal. Make a list of why you should get healthy, plan out meals for the week(s), prepare food ahead of time, do anything and everything you can to set yourselves up for success!!!

Once you have your goal and plan nailed down please share it with the team - we can all help each other out to ensure our plans become reality!

Second, lets go back to the basics. focus on your WATER consumption - this is SO important for your health! Take a look at this great article for more information: http://www.livestrong.com/article/203937-why-is-it-important-to-drink-water-to-lose-weight/ Typically they say to drink half your body weight in ounces, if you consume coffee or caffinated tea you should drink an additional 2 glasses for every cup! This will ensure you are properly hydrated! :drinker:

Lets go Team Jillian -- are you ready to ROCK Week 1 ?!?! :happy:

Replies

• april_nicole1981
    Options
    My week 1 plan -

I am going to plan out my meals and prepare them (if possible) ahead of time. Also, I will be making weekly grocery lists that contain specific ingredients and foods so that I am not taken off my path or off course while shopping and preparing for meals.
    I am going to try my hardest to start waking up at least 30 minutes earlier in the morning so that I can do a minimum of 20 minutes of working out first thing so that I have no excuses for missing a workout!! As far as the water goes I did the math and I should be consuming 78 ounces of water each day. This is a huge struggle for me as I love my diet soda:ohwell: With that being said my plan is to only allow my self a can of diet soda after every two bottles of water:wink:

My goal is to reach at least 145 ponds (I am 11 pounds away from that right now) and build strength within this challenge!!

Good luck to everyone and lets go this Team Jillian!!!:drinker:
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    OK - Here we go! My goal is to lose 2 pounds a week for the duration of the challenge. I've lost five pounds so far so I think this is manageable. I want to get healthy so the aches an pains I've started noticing go away, so I can walk up the stairs without running out of breath, and so I can look forward to trying on clothes when I go shopping!

Here is my plan to reach my goal at the end of the challenge:

~First, I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing for the last week regarding food intake, because it has bee working really well. I use a list making app to keep track of my meal planning. Planning meails takes extra time but it's worth it!
    ~Second, no more unnecessary trips to the grocery store. It only gets me into trouble!
    ~Third, except for one obligation, no drinking. I promised my closest friend we could go out for a wild night after she has her baby but other than that, I won't be having any alcohol. One drink leads to another and before I know it I've taken in oodles of empty calories. And then, of course, I need to eat some junk food to prevent and/or nurse my hangover. :-) So I'm just not going to do it for awhile.
    ~Fourth, I'm going to do 5 cardio workouts a week (most if not all of these workouts will be Zumba classes). For the last few years I have worked out 2-3 times a week, so ramping things up a bit is definitely doable. After this challenge I plan to add weight lifiting sessions.

The water consumption is going to be a challenge, but I'm going to give it a try. Currently, I drink about 10 cups a day. According to this formula, I have to drink fifteen plus two extra to counteract my morning coffee. Yikes! I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the bathroom. :-)

That's it for me! I can't wait to read everyone's posts! Let's win this!
  • mgeaux
    mgeaux Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My goal for this challenge is to get back on track with my workouts. Now that I'm laid off again, I have plenty of time to get my workouts in. I'm shooting for an hour a day this first week split up between morning and afternoon. I'm going to focus on circuit training, walking, Zumba, boxing and Pilates. The following week I'll try to go to 2 hours a day. I will probably take the weekends off but not sure yet. As far as food I'm going to watch the sweets, chocolate is my biggest weakness! I will have to get back on track with my water. Water in the summer is a piece of cake but with winter I don't seem to drink as much. I want to loose 24lbs by the end of this challenge and I'm super excited to be in this group! With the Holidays behind us this will def give me a boost !!
  • Hyder1
    Hyder1 Posts: 30
    Options
    My goal is to stay under my calorie goal every day. I also plan to run at least 1 mile every day to prepare for the 5k that I'm signed up for. People that I work with eat out alot so I am going to try to avoid eating out as much as possible. My goal its to lose 15-20 pounds by the end of the challenge. I'm getting married in August and would love to look good in my dress. I don't want to be embarrassed to show people wedding pictures in 10 years. I will be cutting back on my Fountain Diet Mountain Dew (which I love) and drink more water.
  • HeidiChriston
    HeidiChriston Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My goal, is to lose a total of at least 30 lbs!!! I would really like to be able to get to the point where i could do a nice easy jog of 3 miles with out stopping..
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hello Team Jillian!!

My goal: Lose 20 lbs during this challenge

My plan: Unfortunately I am unable to exercise due to an issue with my knee, so I need to focus 100% on the nutritional aspect. I am going to plan my meals in advance focusing on upping my protein and lowering (not eliminating just lowering) my carbs, staying under my calories and water water water..,

Good luck everyone!!!

Cheers,
    Alison
  • whiskeyhut
    whiskeyhut Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    OK guys...we seem to need a little motivation...if we look at team Dolvett and team Bob they have a lot more interaction going on...any suggestions on how we can get this team excited and up for the challenge? Should we post any exercise goals or calories maybe we want to burn as a team?
  • edean8085
    Options
    This challenge has kept me in line. I did really well my first few days. I lost 4 pounds but then gained 2 back. Of course the day they show up is weigh in day. The next day the 4 were gone again. Thats my luck. I have 50 pounds I want to lose total and if I were to keep up with my start of 4 pounds a week I could almost reach that by the time this is over. I dont expect that by any means. I keep setting small goals for myself. I would like to lose a total of atleast 20 pounds before this challenge is over.

I have 2 children, 5 years and 8 months. I never really tried to lose the baby weight after my daughter 5 years ago. When I got pregnant with my son I was super sick and in the hospital 8 times. I only gained a total of 4 pounds but I really weighed enough I didnt need to gain any :). I know he is my last child so there is no reason I shouldnt get back to being happy with me. I hate the way my clothes fit, the way I look in pictures, and hate that I am going to the beach this year for vacation....

My plan is to keep staying under my calories for the day. I usually eat oatmeal in the am after I take my phentermine. I know that I cant take the medicine forever so I am using the time I do take it to help get myself used to smaller portions etc. I used to eat out for lunch all the time but I have been buying smart ones from weight watchers and eating those. I have also been looking at the progresso light soups, they are pretty low in calories! This leaves a little more room for calorie intake at dinner. My family does not need to lose any weight at all so Its hard to prepare food for them and something else for me. I wish I could excercise more but I havent been able to. I work full time and my daughter has activities 2-3 nights a week plus i have a baby who doesnt sleep thru the night. I get home and am exhausted. I tried P90X but taking an hour to an hour and a half out of my evening with my family wasnt working to well for me. I am looking into other things to do!

Good luck everyone! With the support, commitment, and accountability we should all achieve our goals!!
  • edean8085
    Options
    OK guys...we seem to need a little motivation...if we look at team Dolvett and team Bob they have a lot more interaction going on...any suggestions on how we can get this team excited and up for the challenge? Should we post any exercise goals or calories maybe we want to burn as a team?

You are right! We have 9 posts where everyone else has over 25!
  • IowaJen1979
    Options

Agreed! Does anyone have any trouble areas they need help with? For me, I'm always scared of the weekends. Those are typically my highest risk moments for "falling off the wagon".
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The water part of this weeks challenge will be hard for me. I usually only drink 2-3 glasses after I workout. The reason being I hate going to the bathroom 80x a day.

The meal part should be easier. I just got my juicer so I am really excited to start using it. I will only be juicing veggies though because I have diabetes. I will add an apple though for taste :)
  • april_nicole1981
    Options
    Come on Team Jillian! Team work!! Let's pull together and get this done for ourselves and each other!!:heart:
  • april_nicole1981
    Options

Agreed! Does anyone have any trouble areas they need help with? For me, I'm always scared of the weekends. Those are typically my highest risk moments for "falling off the wagon".

I agree with you all! I know on past challenges that we were expected to log our progress with that weeks challenge daily in that challenge thread. I noticed that that requirement helped keep everyone socializing and motivated because your team would be constantly checking on you and pushing you. Maybe we need to do that???? For example, this week we could update on this thread how much water we consumed and if it met our required amount, as well as how we are doing with your goals/plans on a daily basis.........
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I usually give myself one cheat day if I dont I know Ill binge. I dont go completely crazy but Im not that crazy about checking to see how many calories etc of what Im eating :)
  • IowaJen1979
    Options
    The water part of this weeks challenge will be hard for me. I usually only drink 2-3 glasses after I workout. The reason being I hate going to the bathroom 80x a day.

The meal part should be easier. I just got my juicer so I am really excited to start using it. I will only be juicing veggies though because I have diabetes. I will add an apple though for taste :)

LOL! Me too! I drink water all day at work and I'm afraid to drink more because I already go to the bathroom A LOT!
  • IowaJen1979
    Options
    I usually give myself one cheat day if I dont I know Ill binge. I dont go completely crazy but Im not that crazy about checking to see how many calories etc of what Im eating :)

Since I just managed to "reprogram" my thinking, I'm afraid if I allow a cheat day I'll go off the rails. I've been trying to leave enough room in my daily calorie intake for a "treat" (i.e. 100 calories of chips, half a donut, etc.) and it has been going well. Also, my coworkers and I go out to lunch every Friday so I usually budget a little splurge with lunch on those days. For now (and for me and my brain), I think I need to maintain my healthy eating through the weekends. I did SPECTACULARLY last weekend and am hoping I can repeat this weekend!
  • IowaJen1979
    Options
    This challenge has kept me in line. I did really well my first few days. I lost 4 pounds but then gained 2 back. Of course the day they show up is weigh in day. The next day the 4 were gone again. Thats my luck. I have 50 pounds I want to lose total and if I were to keep up with my start of 4 pounds a week I could almost reach that by the time this is over. I dont expect that by any means. I keep setting small goals for myself. I would like to lose a total of atleast 20 pounds before this challenge is over.

I have 2 children, 5 years and 8 months. I never really tried to lose the baby weight after my daughter 5 years ago. When I got pregnant with my son I was super sick and in the hospital 8 times. I only gained a total of 4 pounds but I really weighed enough I didnt need to gain any :). I know he is my last child so there is no reason I shouldnt get back to being happy with me. I hate the way my clothes fit, the way I look in pictures, and hate that I am going to the beach this year for vacation....

My plan is to keep staying under my calories for the day. I usually eat oatmeal in the am after I take my phentermine. I know that I cant take the medicine forever so I am using the time I do take it to help get myself used to smaller portions etc. I used to eat out for lunch all the time but I have been buying smart ones from weight watchers and eating those. I have also been looking at the progresso light soups, they are pretty low in calories! This leaves a little more room for calorie intake at dinner. My family does not need to lose any weight at all so Its hard to prepare food for them and something else for me. I wish I could excercise more but I havent been able to. I work full time and my daughter has activities 2-3 nights a week plus i have a baby who doesnt sleep thru the night. I get home and am exhausted. I tried P90X but taking an hour to an hour and a half out of my evening with my family wasnt working to well for me. I am looking into other things to do!

Good luck everyone! With the support, commitment, and accountability we should all achieve our goals!!

You are facing some challenges! Would it be possible to cook a healthy dinner for your family and then supplement their meals with something extra? If it were me, and I was cooking this fun delicious dinner for my family, I would feel like I was punishing myself by eating something else that might not be as tasty.

Also, maybe you can find some sneaky ways to get in exercise. Maybe go on a walk with the baby, or play an active game with your 5 year old that involves a lot of movement. It's good for her and you!

Just some thoughts! Good luck!
  • misprintedlies17
    misprintedlies17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Good luck! We will ROCK this challenge.

My goal is to focus on minimizing liquid calories. I drink more than 10 cups of water daily and also exercise is not a problem for me (I'm an avid runner). I also eat plenty of greens and lean protein. So, what's my problem, right?! SWEETS and liquid calories through fancy drinks from the local coffee shop. I found I was consuming an additional 750 calories daily through liquid calories---that's more than half my allotted caloric intake. Ouch!

This goes to show that nutrition plays a huge role in weight loss when you compare to how many calories I burn daily through exercise. If you're taking in more than you burn, you're going to gain weight.!...I need to remember that!
  • mmcqueen927
    mmcqueen927 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    My goal is to lose 18 lbs by the end of the challenge. I have been starting really slow and I'm hoping this challenge will be the kickstart that I need,to kick it up a few notches. i think it would be a good idea to have a water consumption challenge.
  • edean8085
    Options

You are facing some challenges! Would it be possible to cook a healthy dinner for your family and then supplement their meals with something extra? If it were me, and I was cooking this fun delicious dinner for my family, I would feel like I was punishing myself by eating something else that might not be as tasty.

Also, maybe you can find some sneaky ways to get in exercise. Maybe go on a walk with the baby, or play an active game with your 5 year old that involves a lot of movement. It's good for her and you!

Just some thoughts! Good luck!

I dont cook terrible things for them. But like last night we had Ribs, green beans and corn with a small salad. i didnt eat much of the rib because of calories. Its more just learning portion control and not feeling Hungry. I did read somewhere to drink a big glass of water before meals and you wont eat as much but for me I hate water! I love my diet coke and its a hard habit to break. I did drink 2.5 cups yesterdy which is a good start for myself. :) I walked everynight with my baby until winter hit. Its freezing here and we have battled pneumonia, bronchitis, and the flu with him already in just 2 months. I do everything possible to keep him inside.