RAGBRAI

Options
babytis
babytis Posts: 324 Member
Who has done RAGBRAI? Either one day, a few days or the whole ride......

Replies

• randycatron
    randycatron Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have lived in Iowa and have done all or part of RAGBRAI 20+ times, I haven't kept track. It is a cycling fitness challenge, composed of riders who have trained or are in shape, riders who have done minimal training and perceive it to be more of a social event/party than a fitness event, and riders with families. There are about 10,000 riders per day, so throughout the day it would be rare to be out of eyesight of another rider. The average speed of most riders based on my estimation is 12-14 mph. The towns along the route go all out to make riders feel welcome, to get off their bikes, and enjoy friendly Iowa hospitality. At the end of the day, most riders tent camp, but some are able to snag a hotel room, and you'll also see motorhomes and campers.

I may do one day of RAGBRAI this year...rode the entire week last year. This year I have some other cycling events that will use up most of my vacation.

Randy
  • amazinglywell
    Options
    I did RAGBRAI about 20 years ago...when I wasn't really a regular bike rider. It was fun...but I gained weight. It was a week long eating party!

Obviously I would not do it that way again. But you can actually gain weight on RAGBRAI, I am living proof.
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it the last few years. When I was out of shape I started at just one day but I am now up to riding the full week. I agree with the above post that it is easy to gain weight as every town plies you with lots of goodies! There is a wide variety of riders and skill levels so it always interesting. I agree that a lot of people look at as a giant party on wheels where you pretty much drink your way across Iowa. I am there to ride my bike first and foremost so I train a lot ahead of time. I am also one of those rare riders that refuses to tent it and will drive up to an hour to find a nice bed! If you are interested in riding and coming from out of the area there are some pretty good groups such as Pork Belly Ventures that provides full support. Also a lot of cycling clubs offer support to their members. It is definitely an experience to be a part of.

The overnight towns will be announced on January 26th so I will be on my computer booking hotel rooms!
  • j_a_witz
    Options
    I'm planning on riding this for the first time this year. Trying to put a team together, because i've heard you get a better chance at being selected in the lottery.
  • pjunge11
    Options
    I'm planning on riding this for the first time this year. Trying to put a team together, because i've heard you get a better chance at being selected in the lottery.

Are you in Eastern Iowa by chance? I'm looking for a team to break into.
  • hawkeyegal1995
    Options

Are you in Eastern Iowa by chance? I'm looking for a team to break into.

Being on a team does help your chances if one member gets picked in the lotto then the whole team is put through. A team can be any body that wants to submit their requests together. I know people that do that but do not ride together during the event.

I am a member of Cedar Valley Cyclists based in Waterloo. I know a lot of our members who are out of the area join strictly to be on the RAGBRAI charter. In the Cedar Rapids area, Hawkeye Bicycle Association is probably one of the larger groups. You need to consider what type of team/group you want to join-some are more bike focused while others are more party focused. Here is a pretty good list of clubs in the state that you might want to check out: http://iowabicyclecoalition.org/bicycle-resources/bicycle-clubs-teams/. Also check out www.bikeiowa.org as this will list the upcoming rides and who is sponsoring them so that will give you an idea of clubs as well. Happy Pedaling!
  • pjunge11
    Options
    Thanks! Now to overcome my shyness of meeting new people and insecurities of my cycling abilities!
    This will be a good exercise in both of those!
  • hawkeyegal1995
    Options
    Thanks! Now to overcome my shyness of meeting new people and insecurities of my cycling abilities!
    This will be a good exercise in both of those!

I ride some with the Cedar Rapids groups and one of my guys out in Vinton is a member of Hawkeye so if you want to try riding with them just let me know. I am not a huge fan of riding the trails in Cedar Rapids--too much traffic and turns but am always game for a good road ride. As for you abilities....it gets better the more you ride. I started the same way!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the RAGBRAI, but I know lots of people who have. Huge numbers, I keep thinking I'm going try for it, but always seem to come back to the CNC Fall ride. Mostly because it is in the Fall ... not as hot as July. You still meet lots of people, they close it at 1200 riders, not 10,000 riders. It is still roughly 500 miles over 7 days and most people camp. I actually think any of these kind of rides is worth the experience, I just haven't been able to get up the courage to ride with 10,000 people.

(CNC is Cycle North Carolina).
  • hawkeyegal1995
    Options
    I haven't done the RAGBRAI, but I know lots of people who have. Huge numbers, I keep thinking I'm going try for it, but always seem to come back to the CNC Fall ride. Mostly because it is in the Fall ... not as hot as July. You still meet lots of people, they close it at 1200 riders, not 10,000 riders. It is still roughly 500 miles over 7 days and most people camp. I actually think any of these kind of rides is worth the experience, I just haven't been able to get up the courage to ride with 10,000 people.

(CNC is Cycle North Carolina).

The 10,000 plus riders worried me at first but it is not that bad. The only time I really notice all of the people is in the pass through towns-there have been times we have been about 1/4 mile out of town and were already walking due to the number of bikes in town. Out on the road everyone has such different skill sets that you are pretty spread out. Plus you have riders going out as early as 3-4AM (which is nuts to me) and guys that do not get into the overnight town till well after dark. Plus a lot of riders do not ride all the time. I keep thinking about trying other rides but since RAGBRAI is in my "backyard" it is hard to walk away from it.