Name Change

Options
jenwoods87
jenwoods87 Posts: 23 Member
Something on my mind lately...I have not changed my last name officially since I got married last year. Should I go ahead a legally change it before starting the whole military process (before ASVAB and meeting with a recruiter) just so there are no complications?

How hard is it to change your name once you are in..though basic and settled?

Replies

• jenwoods87
    Options
    Someone just asked this same question on navydep. haha crazy. oh well if anyone wants to add their input that would be great :)
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I considered dropping my last name (actually I wanted to for years) but last time I looked into it I was working on my first degree in college and the amount of paperwork and cost wasn't an option at the time. You may want to look into though if you would like your hubbie's last name as the name on your uniform :wink:
  • jenwoods87
    Options
    I actually like my last name...and he doesn't mind me keeping it. I'm not like anti his last name it just takes FOREVER to change everything over. BUT our kids (when we have them) will have his last name. and since they will be my dependents in the military I do not know how complicated that will be. I actually do not want it to be complicated at all lol.

I think I am just going to go ahead and change it...although it might be weird to be called something I am not use to haha
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I haven't had to deal with it, but I have friends who have. It's best to change it prior to joining. You think it's a process as a civilian, it's even worse once in the military.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I haven't had to deal with it, but I have friends who have. It's best to change it prior to joining. You think it's a process as a civilian, it's even worse once in the military.
    Good to know!