Love it!

Options
lapocienta
lapocienta Posts: 39 Member
I'm loving the idea of this long term challenge! So far, I have 23.58km, 30,26km if we count cycling.

Replies

• Javeedak
    Javeedak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great, keep it up.
  • tolleirrigon
    Options
    Just joined, I will need to figure out how to track my distance...any suggestions?
    I am all about keeping it simple...
  • lapocienta
    lapocienta Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @tolleirrigon: There are several ways to track your distance:

1. Using a smartphone. Lots of apps out there track the distance you walked. Some are really simple and some other include a lot of features. Some of them are: Runtastic, Runkeeper, Endomondo, Map My Tracks, Cardio Trainer, and many others. There are also apps that act like a pedometer but I haven't tried any of them.

2. Get a real pedometer. This will keep count of every step you take. Then, by knowing how many steps you take in a given distance, you can calculate the total distance you walked based on the number of steps. I never had one so I cannot give you any more insight on this.

3. Using Google Maps. Again, several ways to do this:

3.a ) * One is explained in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7bEsfr5m4

3.b) * The other way is to create your own map. Once in google maps, go to "My Places" then click on the red button "Create map". In the map area, you'll have three new buttons near the zooming tool: a hand, a bookmark and the last one is to trace lines. When you trace a line, it shows how long (in miles o km) the distance is. You can save this map for future reference.

3.c) * The last option is the "Get directions" button. You set "from" and "to" addresses and choose the walking option. It will provide you with a route and tell you how much you have to walk. The downside of this option is that it suggests the route instead of letting you trace your own.

I'm sure there are more ways to do this but cannot think of another.
    Hope it was helpful! :smile:
  • tolleirrigon
    Options
    20.101 kilometers so far!
  • Javeedak
    Javeedak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    36 Kilometers so far :)