Okinawa mommies???

Options
Hey just wondering if there are any other mommies stationed here in Okinawa? How long have you been on the island? Where do you work out? Any suggestions for child friendly workouts on base? TIA

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mommy, but I am living on Okinawa! I've been here for a little over a month and so far, I just work out in nature. I know Kadena has a gym that I'm fairly certain is free for use and you just have to pay if you want a trainer or massage or something like that. I'm not sure if the other bases have much....Camp Courtney does a boot camp type workout that looks great too. I just run outside, which depending on the age of your children could be easy and fun if you have a stroller or of they're old enough to ride with you on a bike.

The Kadena Health and Wellness Center is a great place to look into as well. I am not positive, but I believe they have activities for kids and parents that are health and fitness oriented. Best way to find out for sure would be to stop in. :)
  • MrsCassieThreatt
    MrsCassieThreatt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure we are PCS'ing there in a few months so I will remember to come back to this page. I have 3 kiddos but I despise gyms so working out in nature is my thing too. ;o)
  • ashlinmarie
    Options
    Hey pumpkinoodle, do you do custom art work? I think I just found your bookoo ad ;)
  • pumkinoodle
    Options
    haha yes I do :)
  • ashlinmarie
    Options
    I thought the picture looked familiar from recently ;)
  • MommyLovesHerFurBabies
    Options
    I am not a mommy but I am in Oki. We have been here for a year and a half. I know Kadena, Foster, Futenma, Hansen, Kinser, Schwab and Courtney all have gyms and they are all free to use, unless you are getting a massage and some classes cost money. And on Okiyardsales there are a LOT of other mommys looking to do babysitting, so you might be able to get a sitter for an hour a day or whatever. Fosters gym is HUGE and I heard it was nice and it seems to have a lot of classes. Since my husbands a Marine I dont have much knowledge about the gym on Kadena.
    All of the gyms have a schedule for different classes that each gym offers. I used to work at the Futenma gym (Semper fit & McCutcheon). So if you guys have any questions i might be able to help you out. I quit about 6 mths ago so somethings have changed but in general nothing out there changes lol.
  • ashlinmarie
    Options
    The gym on Kadena is supposed to be really nice. I haven't gone yet, but it is huge. It can get crowded in the evening though, so it is best to do morning classes or workouts. They have a big outdoor track though that is rarely crowded. Their trainers are also a good price (compared to at non-military gyms) and they have a ton of them with varying hours.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's been 3 years since I left, but while I was there, I was part of a child care co-op. All the moms took turns watching the kids while other moms worked out at the gym. Do they still do that? It was a great motivator and I made lots of friends. Hope you enjoy your time on Oki!