Fun topic: Stuff you should never say to a pregnant woman

Options
VelociMama
VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
Let's have a little fun.

Post something someone said to you that really should never have been said to you.

For me, it's, "wow, you're big! Are you having twins?"

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    "Are you having a girl? You're carrying all over."

I wanted to slap that beyotch.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    How about "are you miserable yet?"

Seriously? That drove me nuts! I had a great pregnancy and when I said no they almost seemed disappointed and would go on to say "just wait"..UGH! Just because they went through this or that during their pregnancy doesn't mean I did. It wasn't always a breeze but I chose not to complain about every little thing! :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You look ready to pop!

Seriously? I am 20 weeks and barely showing! Wait until you see me in a few more months.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Life as you know it will be over once the baby is born.

1. Maybe I don't mind my life changing.
    2. This is my third kid. Do you think I don't remember nighttime feedings, or that feeling of complete joy and love when looking in my baby's eyes?
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Offensive person pokes hip/buttocks area and says; "Yep- it's another girl!!!".

It was a boy, thank you very much...:grumble:
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My least favorite phrase is usually said to me from veteran moms: "Oh.... just you wait until ________". I'm sure I'm going to say that after I have the baby to other pregnant women though. It's rather inevitable.

The UPS guy also said to me this week, "So anytime now, huh?" And I said, "Nope, still have two months." Ugh.
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Me: "I feel so fat!" (Said while sobbing)
    Dad: "Well honey that is because you are."

Thanks dad....love you too :grumble:
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My husband's grandmother (who has no filter) said to me "Are you sure you aren't having twins?"
    "Yes grandma I am sure."
    "Are you sure honey? Because you are just so big!"

Don't make me hurt you old woman!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    youuuuuuuuuuu'lllll seeeeeeee! also common is the just you wait!

My butthead coworker said to me the other day without even knowing that I was pregnant "Well I guess if you only want two kids then you're fine at your age to start now". Um excuse me, I'm 27. You don't say that to a non-pregnant woman nevermind a pregnant one!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Sleep while you can!

Sleep is not cumulative, at least not over the long term. I can't sleep for a few days straight to make up for the sleep that I won't be getting once I have this baby. So yeah, that's idiotic.

I really hate when people say that.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yesterday when I was out to lunch with a male friend, he goes, "You're really pregnant." I said, well I have 9 weeks to go. And then he comes back with "That's it?" yes, so apparently you thought I was big until you realized I'm closing in on the end. Then it's okay to be big.

Also, I don't know how many people have said, is this your first? Um, no, my third.

Or I hate when people realize that I am having my third. So are you going to stay home? Um yes, for 12 weeks and then my husband will take over. Have you met us? Did you forget our professions?! My husband is the preschool teacher soon to be SAHD. Who is going to pay for our life if I stay home too....
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I do hate "is this your first" regardless of whether it is or not. I know women who have one and either don't want any more or can't have any more. I know it's just an innocent question, but it can be painful, especially for the latter category of women. They always have to correct and say, "S/he's my only."
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This isn't a comment so much of "what not to say" but more "what not to do" to a pregnant woman:

I have to say how shocked I am that I'm already getting complete strangers come up and TOUCH MY BELLY!!?? So I was in Barns & Noble the other day and this lady came up to me and put her hand right on my belly and said "Oh you just look precious, when are you due??" Now some would take this as a complement, but I was not in the mood to have someone i didn't know touch my stomach (a area of my body which very few people I know and love are allowed to touch). So I just stared at her and said, "Excuse me, I'm not pregnant." Now, sure this made me look fat, but it was worth the shocked and embarrassed look on her face. Win!
  • kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    "You just feel like that because you're pregnant" or "It's just your hormones talking."

Okay, whether my hormones are making me feel this way or not, I still feel like this. Don't make my feelings seem less valid by saying it's just my hormones. And sometimes what you say is going to irritate me whether I'm pregnant or not so no need blaming it for EVERY emotion I have. :grumble: I get told these things all the time by my mom (this is baby 4 for us) and it's things like this that make me keep my pregnancies a secret as long as I can!
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My mom told me at 8 weeks "oh look! You have a little belly!" Um, NO. I was just getting fat from all the carbs I was eating to keep the MS away. I told her she couldn't say that unitl I say I'm getting a belly. then the next week, "ok, now can I say you're getting a belly?". Again, NO!!! It's not really a baby bump yet, just fat!

My sister has a 2 1/2 year old daughter and she gained a ton of weight and had gestational diabetes. She keeps telling me I'm going to have it and get all these awful symptoms that she had. NO, just because that happened to you, doesn't mean it will happen to me.

I haven't had this yet, but I'm really not looking forward to the belly touching. I already hate having strangers/people in my personal space and I am not going to take random people touching my belly lightly.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I was throwing up at work last week and my boss asked me if I had the flu or if I was throwing up from my "complication". Seriously? Don't call my pregnancy a complication. Idiot.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The most annoying thing to me is when I get asked if this is my first baby... when I answer "No, my fourth", I have gotten tons of comments about if I knew how babies are conceived or get asked if we have cable TV. Some people like big families, get over it! If I want 4 kids, and can afford them, it is none of your business!
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    And my boss just informed me how my skin is totally broken out, like I didn't already know this.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I like the look on people's face when i tell them i have a 17month already or when they find out we are only having two and they will both be boys and 'no carzy patient lady, i don't mind, i won't regret it and i have had girls AKA my little sisters who are still growing. :)"
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The most annoying thing to me is when I get asked if this is my first baby... when I answer "No, my fourth", I have gotten tons of comments about if I knew how babies are conceived or get asked if we have cable TV. Some people like big families, get over it! If I want 4 kids, and can afford them, it is none of your business!

On a similar note, when we announced on facebook at 20 weeks, I had a friend comment with 'wow, you're repopulating the earth all on your own!' (This is our 4th as well.) I didn't realize that 4 kids was suddenly repopulating the earth! Take it easy, all you others who are pregnant - I've got it all taken care of, apparently. :grumble: