Cognitive behavioral therapy for MS Anxiety and depression

Options
I have written a couple of posts here about MS and MS Anxiety and depression and how this differs from anxiety and depression in ways from non MS sufferers. A great read would be It's Not All in Your Head: Anxiety, Depression, Mood Swings, and Multiple Sclerosis by Dr. Patricia A. Farrell. There is a older post here on the groups board that has some reviews and suggestions of book reads for MS. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/597126-great-ms-reading

I have been in CBT, Cognitive behavioral therapy for over a month now with a very well educated therapist. My Neuro had suggested that I try CBT to help with the increasing Anxiety and depression I have developed since my diagnosis over the years. She explained to me that people with MS have a lot more going on with anxiety and depression then others. It's not only having the disease that causes these issues, but the disease itself throwing mixed messages and firing off wrong impulses in your brain. Cognitive behavioral therapy CBT is a form of psychotherapy that is commonly used in the treatment of conditions such as anxiety and depression. It is based on the belief that how we think about a situation influences how we act, and our actions subsequently influence how we think and feel. It encourages the adoption of new thinking and behavioral techniques.

I wanted to share with you all this because I feel that it is indeed helping. My CBT is helping to make sense of a lot of the non sense that I feel and do not have control of like crying or laughing without reason, deep depression , anxiety about the oddest things, sleep, fatigue. She is teaching me techniques that help me deal with the anxiety that I have got to say are working. CBT is a hands on approach too, I have homework to do, and my sessions are tangible. I get something out of them, rather then just talking about how I feel with no advice from the therapist like counseling offers.

Also wanted to add, my insurance is paying for it. So if anxiety and depression has become a issue with you and/or increased since diagnosis, give it a try. I will come back here and give you all an update on how I feel things are going and a little more of a review once I get into the sessions more.

Replies

• Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I've actually read that "It's not all in your head" and it does clarify things. :flowerforyou:
  • ladiebug
    ladiebug Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that bit of information! I think it's time I brought up these issues with my New Neuro....