Protein /Whey Powder

Options
I normally use Spiru-tein Simply Natural powder, and I really like it. Especially since it's unsweetened and i can add stevia to taste. However, I cannot add it to say, oatmeal or cereal because it tends to have a goopy consistency. Anyone have any recommendations for a good unsweetened whey powder that isn't goopy and doesn't taste like powdered cardboard?

Replies

• sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Protein/whey powder is hard when it comes to adding it to heat cause like you said it tends to get goopy.
    With oatmeal could you have a small glass of a protein shake? or sprinkle a bit on top of your oatmeal or make a protein pancake? If I add it to my oatmeal I will usually add some fruit to mask the goopyness of the powder, or I make a protein oatmeal pancake.

Have you thought of looking into hemp seeds to add to oatmeal or yogurt?
  • 0Karen0
    0Karen0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @ Sugarbeans, do you have a recipe for your protien oatmeal pancakes? That sounds delicous!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Protein Pancake:

Whisk together
    3/4 cup egg whites,
    28 grams of plain oatmeal,
    8g of whey protein powder
    1/8 cup water,
    ¼ tsp vanilla extract, cinnamon, let sit for about 5 mins. Fry in pam-sprayed frying pan like a pancake. Cut into wedges & enjoy!

I will sometimes use 1/3 of a cup of rogers 7 grain oatmeal and I will either put peanut butter on top or have syrup.
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    the pancakes sound yummy! going to try tomorrow. Thanks!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Pancakes do sound delish!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Bump for me some breakfast !
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Do you know the nutritional info off hand ? Just curious, suppose it would vary with diff protein powders.
  • Protein Pancake:

Whisk together
    3/4 cup egg whites,
    28 grams of plain oatmeal,
    8g of whey protein powder
    1/8 cup water,
    ¼ tsp vanilla extract, cinnamon, let sit for about 5 mins. Fry in pam-sprayed frying pan like a pancake. Cut into wedges & enjoy!

I will sometimes use 1/3 of a cup of rogers 7 grain oatmeal and I will either put peanut butter on top or have syrup.

I tried this recipe last week and liked it, but it was hard to measure out with the 28 g of oatmeal and 8 g of protein powder. I made it again today with 1/2 scoop of protein powder (18.5 g) and 1/2 cup oatmeal. It comes to 304 calories with tons of protein for a high carb day. I LOVE IT and it's portable! I dipped it in 1/8 c sugar-free syrup. :)