Foods that suprised you? Most disappointing to give up?

Options
2»

Replies

• jnoring
    Options
    The most surprising to me was Rice Krispies. Why do Rice Krispies have wheat? It doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's the malt flavoring that they get you with on the Krispies. :/

And as far as pretzels go, Snyder's of Hanover makes a decent pretzel that's ok. The Glutinos are so-so and the Wylde (sp?) are pretty good and fit into carryon luggage well. :)

I can't even tell the diffrence between the gluten and gluten free ones. They are great.
  • Garlicmash
    Options
    Nearly all chocolate and even when they are gf they are often still made in the same factories a gluten filled products so you still end up contaminating you're self.... very disappointing.
    and soy sauces but treated my self to a very expensive Tamari sauce at christmas.
    oh corn flakes and rice crispies which I found out by becoming ill all day and turned grey..not pale but grey.(it was the barley that caused that I believe)

And the most shocking one that also made me ill for a week and itching like crazy was easy cook Green Lentles.
  • Garlicmash
    Options
    Lindor Truffles. Stupid barley malt. :(
  • Emlou93
    Emlou93 Posts: 22
    Options
    Milo (WHY IS IT MADE OF BARLEY >>), cous cous and most of all, tabouli! All those times I thought I was going for the incredibly healthy salad and I was just making myself sick because it had gluten. Most chocolates too :(
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Ehhh? I thought dark chocolate was ok?

No?
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,179 Member
    Options

No?

You need to research each brand. Some are ok----others NO WAY. I went to the Godiva store one day and they told me they do not consider any of their products to be safe for celiacs.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    San-J makes a great gluten free soy sauce. A lot of health food stores carry it. I found mine at Whole Foods and my local smaller organic store. If they carry San-J products, ask the grocer if they can order the gluten free version for you by them. They may be able to do it. :)

Monica
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Milo? Really? I haven't had that in a while but it was a former addiction of mine. Darn it! I loved that stuff. :(
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Has to be do-nuts and mars bars but not had a decent do-nut for 20 years.
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Pasta's...oh how i miss my pasta's...especially Lasagna
  • Kerrydor
    Options
    Sour keys..
    I love those things...
  • Comfortableme
    Comfortableme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I recently found out I had celiac. I made chili and decided to check the label for the seasoning. Really surprised to see wheat in the ingredients also Spanish rice. Looks like I need to read all the labels before I cook.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options

No?

You need to research each brand. Some are ok----others NO WAY. I went to the Godiva store one day and they told me they do not consider any of their products to be safe for celiacs.

Whew... I had bought Hershey's Dark Chocolate nuggets... and I just checked their website... gluten free! Yahoo!
    http://www.thehersheycompany.com/brands/special-nutrition.aspx#/Gluten-Free
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Food that surprised me? Red Vines-I went to a football game the week that I first went gluten-free and grabbed for the Red Vines only to have my hand smacked by my very good friend who has Celiacs...she shook her finger at me and said "READ". So I did. So bummed at the time but okay with it now.

Most disappointing to give up? Soft pretzels-You know, the kind you can get at the shopping mall like at Wetzel's Pretzel's or Pretzel Time. I still walk by their stores just to get a whiff of the goodness. *sigh*
  • FitnessPalWorks
    Options
    So, I did my weekly grocery shopping tonight.....

... and a guy passed me in one of the aisles carrying (I kid you not)

.... two containers of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies from the store bakery.....

... and....

... a loaf of freshly baked and still warm french bread.

OMG. OOOOOH MAAAAAAAAAAH GAAAAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Various things flashed before my eyes: tackle him? Growl at him? Show my teeth and growl? Scream like Shelley Duvall as if Jack Nicholson had cupcakes in "The Shining" instead of an axe?

Nah. I mentally calculated the calories in it all as he walked by and giggled in my mind with a huge grin on my face. Heh. :)

I think that counts as a NSV, does it not???? :)
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sour keys..
    I love those things...

YES!! After NOT learning my lesson when I got sick eating After Eight chocolates, I made myself sick with these. We bought them bulk, and as I was eating 1 or 2 a day over Christmas, I was getting sicker and sicker. We finally found a bag at the store and I though to check the ingredients....I'm just staying away from candy from now on.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options

The most surprising to me was Rice Krispies. Why do Rice Krispies have wheat? It doesn't make sense to me.

Gluten free Rice Krispies are available in grocery stores here in the U.S.

They have them in Canada too, but they just aren't as tasty. I do buy them to use in granola bar recipes and the rare rice krispy treat.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    chewy caramels have gluten in them -- boo!
    I miss a large amount of soups.
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lindor Truffles. Stupid barley malt. :(
    Me too. None of this stuff is good for me but bread sour dough and rye, pasta, pretzels, candy, doritos, etc.

I just found out about this group today. And learned I need to be GF about two weeks ago. The only information I have found is on the web. If you know of a good website a can look out to find further information please let me know. I know to avoid wheat, rye, and oats.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    And barley, don't forget the barley.

I bought some frozen veggies made by Bird's Eye. I'm like, "Hey, its veggies."
    Yup, BARLEY. I was so friggin sick!! I bloated so bad I couldn't get my pants on ;(

I miss sourdough bread. It was my favorite. And my favorite pizza. I've tried and tried to replicate it. I don't know what they do to make it so good.