not weightloss related- need academic help

Options
arodriguez2
arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
HI all! I am writing a paper for my graduate class on queer theory. If anyone has any helpful articles they can pass on, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Liiiiiiike...what?

No really like, what? Since you're doing graduate work on queer theory you've already got stuff you've read/are reading, so I'm not sure what I could offer that you haven't already read. Like, is there some particular topic? Are you looking for academic papers or books or what?
  • arodriguez2
    Options
    I guess that was a bit vague lol! I'm finishing up my degree in cultural foundations of education, so not really queer specific. For my phil of ed class I had to pick a theory and write a basic "research paper/synthesis" explaining the chosen theory in detail. I have a few articles but any other articles that explain the theory, the historical context of it, etc. would be really helpful
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read the history of sexuality by Michael Foucault, you probably should. But, I'm guessing you don't have that kind of time on your hands soooo I'll have to think about it. Its been a few years since I was doing a lot of reading in that arena (lately all I read about is fitness related :blushing: )
  • arodriguez2
    Options
    thanks for the link wendyapple!

I have read some foucault, but mostly his stuff on discipline, I know he's one of the foundational writers on queer theory tho. I do have an article by judith butler that I am using.....Thanks for taking the time tameko2!!
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    up vote for Foucault's History of Sexuality (vol. 1). Everyone should read it!

Otherwise, Judith Butler would be an obvious choice.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the Foucault and Butler peeps!
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    William B Turner on the history of Queer Theory, it traces the roots of Queer theory,

A Critical introduction To Queer theory and how it has shaped Queer studies. Nikki Sullivan 2003

I think a critical Introduction is a good one as it talks about the limits as put forth by Foucults original argument as it does not address the anti oppressive nes of queer studies in the greater picture.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Queer Theory: An Introduction by Annmarie Jagose & A Critical Intro to Queer Theory by Nikki Sullivan.

Also agree with Judith Butler's writings (though it's often more Feminist/Gender Studies than specifically Queer Theory) and Turner's Genealogy of Queer Theory.

There's also a collection called The Lesbian & Gay Studies Reader (Ed., Henry Abelove) which has 40+ essays on LGBT studies (Butler, Adrienne Rich, Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, etc.)