Just got diagnosed with Celiac Disease

Options
Hello everyone. I've been having some digestive issues since 2009. I had my gallbladder removed and they said I had IBS back in 09. I've had problems ever since. Recently I have had issues with ulcers and gastritis so my doc did a Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and took some biopsies. Today I got back the results. Turns out I have Celiac Disease. I have to say I was a bit relieved to know that this explains all the symptoms and problems that I have been having all along. My doctor is setting up an appt with a dietitian to show me the ropes of a gluten free diet. I am a mom of 4. I'm a little overwhelmed I must say. Not sure where to start so I'm reading the forums and trying to see what you all are doing untill I get into the dietitian. I'm glad I found this group to help me along in this journey.

Replies

• hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, I"m sure the people here can answer most questions you have :)

Hopefully you'll feel tons better pretty quickly, gluten can sure do a number on your body. Remember to check ALL labels, because even things that you would never consider having gluten, can have gluten.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yep What they ^^ said. :) I've been GF for two years. Send you a friend request. Welcome!
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for 5 years with Celiac disease....I have found that the dietitian didn't know much about it so I have used the internet as my main source of information....There are a lot of products out there that are gluten free but everything is expensive.. I say they average about $5 a package....If you have a Kroger grocery store in your area, they should carry a line of gluten free items from Udi's. They are really good. bread, bagels, muffins, hamburger buns. Look in the bakery section for a special rack. Also Harris Teeter carries a good amount of gluten free items. They have a green shelf tag that tells you it is gluten free. Some Trader Joes have gluten free breads but not all..And if you have a health food store in your area, they usually have a lot of different items to choose from.. Also, I have a flour recipe that I use as a substitute for regular flour.. Send me your e mail address and I will send it to you...you may friend me too!!!!
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's definitely stressful at first! I lost a lot of weight at first because I didn't know what I could eat, and I mainly stuck to rice crackers and hummus. It's daunting, but you can do it!

My advice is to first find some G/F Bread and pasta (even if relying on them for every meal isn't much of a weight-loss strategy..). Udi's brand is my favorite, but you may also have Glutino and Rudi's available to you. Ask around at your grocery stores. I live in a small city and all of the local grocers now carry Udi's. If you have Whole Foods or a Co-op in your town, you basically have it made now. Get to know the products available to you, and (if your budget allows) spend a little more on the pre-made foods, breads, treats and mixes the next few weeks while you're making the transition. It should help minimize your stress. You may even want to order some foods online if you live in a really small town. Udi's, Pamela's, and the Silly Yak Bakery all ship their products from the web.

Once you're more comfortable, you can rely on cooking for yourself from scratch more often. Many of the meals that are familiar to you are already gluten-free, such as roast chicken or steak with potatoes and veggies. Eggs and hashbrowns are a favorite breakfast of mine. (Mr. Dell's Natural hashbrowns only include potatoes on their ingredient list.) I'm not sure what kind of cooking you like to do, but many Indian, Thai and Mexican (but no flour tortillas!) dishes are gluten-free.

You will want to watch out for hidden gluten. I've been eating gluten-free for 3.5 years, but the first few months, I didn't realize that most soy sauces contain even more wheat than soy. So if you want to eat Chinese food, you will either have to talk to your restaurant about what kind they use, and ask to replace it with broth if they're willing, or you can make your own dishes with gluten-free soy sauce and Tamari. Also, I used to think that breading on chicken tenders was so thin that it didn't matter, but it matters A LOT. There is no safe amount of gluten to eat if you have celiac! You will have to become a major label-reader, but it's amazing what you learn about foods when you do it!

The first couple months won't be a walk in the park, but you will get the hang of it. You'll get used to planning ahead, packing lunches, and researching menus before you go out. There are times I still struggle with not being able to eat whatever I want, and I feel that it's really unfair, but at the same time, I've learned so much about healthier eating (gluten-free and otherwise), and I've become a much better cook. I also discovered a much wider variety of grains and foods in general because of being forced to cook for myself. I had never made Italian polenta, stuffed grape leaves, veggie moussaka, or Mexican tamales before I had been on this diet, but I'm glad I have! You will learn a lot, so take each day as it comes, and you will feel so much healthier once you settle in to this way of eating.
  • gemchiara
    gemchiara Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I also hace coeliac disease and find it difficult since I live in Italy. If you have any questions just let me know, I've been living with the "Overwhelming" nture of the disease for a while
  • KFJOI4JWGOJM
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. I have started looking around the food and things I already have here and I'm shocked that almost everything has it in it. I think I was most surprised at the Great Value brand frozen vegetables. I went out today and got some things that are good and GF. Once I get used to reading labels and then finding brands that are definitely GF then I can get into a routine. It is going to be a bit of an adjustment though
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't have celiac disease, but after going off gluten (disguised as wheat products), many long standing, unidentifiable health problems cleared up. I feel so much better, and so I remain gluten free.

I've learned a few things about eating GF: first, it's NOT a weight loss plan. Sure you CAN and WILL lose some weight at first, but GF foods can still be high in calories. The 20 lbs I dropped in three months I believe was more the result of not being so inflamed and bloating anymore. So, be careful not to make the mistake there.

One thing I do is make "breadless sandwiches". I just take two slices of hard cheese and put my sandwich materials between them and eat them like that. It looks odd, but I get my sandwich in!

Also, I do have homemade GF pizza at times -- Kinnick has a great GF crust that cooks up just like a real pizza crust. Again, watch the calories though -- 400 cal for one small crust!

It will take a while for you to be able to recognize the gluten in foods. Fortunately, I am seeing more and more GF choices out there, AND GF restaurants. ALWAYS ask the restaurant for an allergen statement - they are required to have one available.

I do hope you feel much better very fast! I would also recommend you STOP eating grains for awhile, too, to get your intestinal tract back on line. Look up something called "Leaky Gut Syndrome". It makes perfect sense and really is the reason why I've stopped eating 99.9% of the grains out there.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    It's tricky at first but you get used to it. Don't forget to replace your toaster, colanders, and scratched pots and pans. These can store gluten. Also if you are going to continue serving gluten containing foods to your family you'll want to be hyper-vigilant of cross contamination. You'd need your own peanut butter, jelly, butter, mayo, ect. Watch for crumbs on the counter. Personally I only let my family eat pre-packaged gluten items in the house. I won't buy bread or anything that leaves crumbs.

Udi's makes the best breads IMO. They have really good pizza crusts too. Also muffins, bagels, and cookies. There are a lot of good pasta brands that are gluten free too. Just watch that you don't overcook them. They get too mushy.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has celiac's and I can say it was definitely an adjustment to all of a sudden be more aware of what we were purchasing for groceries.

Like others have said, I'd definitely find a good GF bread like Udis and there are companies that make corn pasta...make sure you check things like pasta sauces because some of those have it in it.

Lots of things are naturally gluten free, so you'll just have to start rethinking meal plans. :) I've noticed we tend to eat more rice now than before and potatoes with our dinners.

Oooh! and for pizza crust, we found one the other day....Chebe Pizza Crust that has a good flavor and texture. :)
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the Paleo cookbooks like Well Fed, recipes in the group here on MFP, or the websites below. Paleo is more restrictive than gluten free but there are lots of ideas and some really great recipes.

Also, one other note, celiac can be genetic, so it's possible your kids might be predisposed to it as well. Just something to keep an eye out for.

http://beta.primal-palate.com/category/recipes/
    http://www.againstallgrain.com/