Scary Lows

Options
Hi Everyone. I have been T1 Diabetic for 17 years. I was wondering what the scariest low is that you have ever had? A couple months ago I woke up with a blood sugar of 28 and it freaked me out really bad. I started on the omnipod this week and I feel like I have so much better control already.

Replies

• BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I got down to 16 after a night of drinking while camping. It was super scary. I felt a little 'off' but I thought it was just a hang over. Luckily, I didn't require any medical assistance and was able to bring it up on my own with Gatorade.
  • maegan0205
    Options
    I can remember a time when I was really young, like probably 8 or 9 waking up in the middle of the night and when we checked it registered like 12 or something. I know it was no higher than the low teens.

The lowest other than that, that I can remember was probably in the low 30's. I hate lows. Worst. Feeling. Ever!
  • LIKEOMGSTFUBFF
    Options
    Yes! Being low is the worst feeling ever. It's hard to explain just how miserable it is, ha. :) Thank you both for responding.
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I started of at 35 about a month ago, had my husband to grab juice and pretzels for me, ate and 20 minutes later got up and felt worse. I ended up dropping down to 28. I was terrified. After about half of the big Simply Orange juice containers and a ridiculous amount of pretzels, I finally came up. The craziest part of it, is this was before bed and when I woke up the next morning, I was only at 140. I expected it to be much higher given the amount of carbs I took in trying to manage the low. The blood sugar craziness is definitely the worst part of getting healthy!
  • kathyguminski
    Options
    My scariest low wasn't my lowest number but I have very little memory of most of it. I ended up wrecking my jeep on the way to work one morning. I drove through signs and drove down sidewalks and thankfully missed other cars and pedestrians. The police finally blocked me in at a McDonalds and arrested me. When the breathalizer didn't register anything they finally took me to the hospital. They made me lay on the ground and handcuffed me, really treated me like a criminal. My BG was 36. The weird thing was I didn't have any symptoms of low BG. No sweating, nothing. As I get older I find I have stranger and stranger lows. My lowest was 32 and I was shaking and sweating horribly, I got up in the middle of the night and not wanting to wake my husband, went to the cupboard and got out a brand new jjar of "peanut butter" and sat on the floor and ended up eating half the jar. Turns out it wasn't peanut butter but a new jar of mayonaise. OMG, it made me sick just to think of it. FYI, it takes a whole lot more mayo to bring up BG than peanut butter. LOL
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've had it in the teens quite a bit. Sometimes it's not so bad and I can fix it, other times the paramedics are called. I think the most embarrassing thing about the paramedics being called is one of the two guys that ends up treating me is a type one diabetic two. I am so embarrassed when he comes. :embarassed:
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I had one several years ago that I can barely remember - what I do remember is waking up one morning (I guess my body was in PANIC! WAKE UP! mode) and not being able to walk right. I *think* I army-crawled to the kitchen and I managed to get something to eat/drink (who knows? I can't remember what it was now) - little while later I felt better and was on the couch.
    I actually ended up making it to work that morning and I remember feeling like crap all day but everything else was pretty much a blur! :sick:

I wish I knew what my BG was since I've never been through something quite like that!
  • maegan0205
    Options
    My scariest low wasn't my lowest number but I have very little memory of most of it. I ended up wrecking my jeep on the way to work one morning. I drove through signs and drove down sidewalks and thankfully missed other cars and pedestrians. The police finally blocked me in at a McDonalds and arrested me. When the breathalizer didn't register anything they finally took me to the hospital. They made me lay on the ground and handcuffed me, really treated me like a criminal. My BG was 36. The weird thing was I didn't have any symptoms of low BG. No sweating, nothing. As I get older I find I have stranger and stranger lows. My lowest was 32 and I was shaking and sweating horribly, I got up in the middle of the night and not wanting to wake my husband, went to the cupboard and got out a brand new jjar of "peanut butter" and sat on the floor and ended up eating half the jar. Turns out it wasn't peanut butter but a new jar of mayonaise. OMG, it made me sick just to think of it. FYI, it takes a whole lot more mayo to bring up BG than peanut butter. LOL

Wow. That is really scary! Thank God youthere were no injuries. It's odd and unfortunate that the police treated you so badly. From what I have seen (mostly on Cop t.v. shows admittedly) it seems like maybe they are trained to at least be aware of and consider the possibility of low blood sugar when people are acting irrationally without any obvious cause. I am glad that your scary situation didn't end nearly as badly as it could have.
  • LIKEOMGSTFUBFF
    Options
    Yeah it's hard for me to stop eating when my bs is low, i just want to keep eating until it comes back up and then I end up having to take a shot afterwards so it won't go too high. :/ When I was a teenager my dad said he always knew when my bs was low in the middle of the night because he could hear me in the kitchen slamming cabinets looking for anything to eat. I had an older brother who ate all the food in the house. My parents would buy me oreos and I would have to hide them. ha. I have luckily always woken up or realized when I am low.
  • Colorful12
    Colorful12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think 26 is the lowest I've gone. I hate it when in the middle of the night, when I cant think clearly, I empty out the fridge because I'm starving. True that the CGM will help much of the time. While the beeping is annoying, it does wake me up. Often times I have wondered how it would be to have one of those dogs trained to help diabetics with low sugar awareness.
  • kathyguminski
    Options
    I do have a dog that lets me know when I'm low. The weird thing is, he looks very much like Mary Tyler Moores red-nose pit bull. His name is Special Agent Husak. I did not teach him this, he just started doing it on his own. He has always been very close with me and my husband noticed his odd behavior when I got too low and we just started rewarding it. Now he wears his vest and goes with me when I am alone, especially since that last driving incident. He makes sort of a monkey-like sound, grunting and nudging and pawing me like crazy. He will even wake me up at night. He is getting older now and doesn't go with me so much, I don't know how I will ever find another dog like him. My other pit bulls will take the food right out of my hands when I am trying to correct a low.

My endo tells me when I am low to eat a glucose tab and wait for 10 minutes. Are you kidding me? Really? I am in panic mode when I wake up sweating and shaking. I feel like I don't have 10 minutes to spare. I too find myself having to take a shot afterwards having to bring myself back down. Just like you all, I feel like utter crap all day after that. It is exhausting to ping pong back and forth like that.
  • Colorful12
    Colorful12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Kathy, your dog sounds like such a blessing.
    The instructions I got were: 15/15/15 Which means: eat 15 grams of carb, wait 15 minutes, and test again. Eat another 15 if still low. 4 glucose tabs are 16 grams of carb. If I don't use glucose but use food instead, I will have 500 grams instead of 15!
  • nanacouture
    Options
    The lowest I've gone is 28, and I honestly thought I was going to die. It was fine, I was at home in the middle of the day and just carbloaded, but man, was it scary.
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My lowest I remember was somewhere in the 30s. It definitely can be scary! I hope you like the Omnipod!! I just started using it this past fall and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! :)
  • kathyguminski
    Options
    RG, he is absolutely a blessing. There is a song "Angels Among Us" I think it's by Alabama, not sure though, but every time I hear it, it makes me think of him. I wish everyone had a Husak in their lives. I wouldn't think of driving my car without him as co-pilot.