Stevia/truvia

Options
RenaeNguyen
RenaeNguyen Posts: 98 Member
Hello I know some woman who use stevia/trivia while they are pregnant. Any thoughts on this? Please share :-)

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hello I know some woman who use stevia/trivia while they are pregnant. Any thoughts on this? Please share :-)

I admittedly don't know the whole deal with stevia and just how "natural" and "safe" it is. However my doctor's opinion is to stay away from all sweeteners other than sugar (because at least we can be sure what that is) and, obviously, not to eat/ drink too much of it.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

I admittedly don't know the whole deal with stevia and just how "natural" and "safe" it is. However my doctor's opinion is to stay away from all sweeteners other than sugar (because at least we can be sure what that is) and, obviously, not to eat/ drink too much of it.

My doctors advice is the same as well, except they say that if you are diabetic splenda and stevia are okay....so anyhoo I occasionally use splenda and use stevia almost every day....
  • RenaeNguyen
    Options
    I used truvia every day before I got pregnant and never had a problem. But I have 3 obgyns and they all have different opinions. So they we no help at all lol.
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't see why Stevia wouldn't be ok as it is a natural product from a leaf. As natural as sugar...
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I don't see why Stevia wouldn't be ok as it is a natural product from a leaf. As natural as sugar...

There are other natural, plant-based products and herbs that aren't good for you to consume, like poisonous plants. I'm not saying stevia's poisonous or bad for you (I assume it's not), but sugar has been around on a large scale for hundreds of years. I guess it's knowing what it is/how it's processed/what its effects are vs. something that's newer, at least on a grand scale.

Either way, the message was to try not to eat too much sugar/sweetened stuff.
  • sseratt
    sseratt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to minimize my artificial sweetner intake since we don't really know much about all of them. This is hard for me since I have always been a diet coke addict. I am really trying to drink tea without sugar. It is all what you get used to, I suppose.
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The FDA has apparently deemed Stevia safe during pregnancy. I think it's just a matter of preference. I use it every so often in my greek yogurt.

If you check out the american pregnancy association website they have a pretty good little blurb about which sweeteners are OK!
  • RenaeNguyen
    Options
    Thank you lady's! I think I'll start using my stevia again. :-) but with moderation.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    The FDA has apparently deemed Stevia safe during pregnancy. I think it's just a matter of preference. I use it every so often in my greek yogurt.

If you check out the american pregnancy association website they have a pretty good little blurb about which sweeteners are OK!

This is helpful, thanks! Here's the link: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/artificialsweetner.htm
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    Man, my kid is up a creek. I drink splenda like its my job.
  • RenaeNguyen
    Options
    All my drs agrees that Splenda and sweet and low are BAD but it was a mixed review on stevia
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options

There are other natural, plant-based products and herbs that aren't good for you to consume, like poisonous plants.

...yes because that was exactly my reasoning.... I guess I will go put oleander in my tea now.....geez maneez....
  • RenaeNguyen
    Options
    I go to my obgyn tomorrow. I'm ask her complete view on stevia. Last time I asked about fake sugar and this is a natural product so I'm going to see her views.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Since I had my daughter and started breastfeeding I have been researching food like a crazy person. I have now become what a lot of people think of as a total hippie, lol. I used to be a diet coke drinker and splenda user, but no more. The only sweeteners I feel comfortable using are sugar, stevia and xylitol. I prefer xylitol and bake with it often. Not only is it natural, but it is not known to cause the stomach upset stevia sometimes can if you are sensitive. It is used in Europe a lot, especially in toothpaste because it actually strengthens your enamel on your teeth. You can get it at some natural food stores. It also has no after taste, which is nice. My rule is not to consume anything I wouldnt feel completely comfortable feeding my toddler. :)
  • RBXChas
    Options

There are other natural, plant-based products and herbs that aren't good for you to consume, like poisonous plants.

...yes because that was exactly my reasoning.... I guess I will go put oleander in my tea now.....geez maneez....

That's totally understandable if you think stevia is fine (like I said I really have no opinion on the matter), but I completely disagree with that argument for why it's fine.

It was not a personal attack on you or your views on stevia. I did not mean any offense, nor do I think you're stupid and/or will go out and eat oleander. I didn't think you would do that yesterday, either. It was simply an extreme example of how that same argument could be used and be illogical.

Edited to truncate my response because continuing to make logical arguments is pointless and doesn't add anything to the discussion.
  • RenaeNguyen
    Options
    I talked with my OBGYN and she said its perfectly fine to use stevia