Signed up for my first half!

Options
I'm signed up for the Diva Half Marathon on September 14! I'm excited but a little intimidated, although how intimidating can something really be that encourages tiaras, tutus and feather boas? I'm currently at a long run of 4-5 miles, so I have lots of time to train. Does anyone have any training advice for me?

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    No advice here but wanted to say good luck - running a half is an amazing experience :)
  • hollietkac
    hollietkac Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has some good training plans! http://www.halhigdon.com/
  • MalloryCollinsWhitt
    Options
    The DIVAs in North Myrtle Beach, SC was my first half last year! It is so funny and everyone is SO supportive! It is a great atmosphere for you first half.

You can read about my race experiences here:
    http://www.malsmiles.com/p/races.html

Happy training!
  • Jedi_Jewel
    Jedi_Jewel Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of fun! I also like Hal Higdon's training plans. They seemed to work with a busy schedule.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I also am a huge Hal Higdon fan. He has led me through many races~successfully! Look him up and good luck on your race~you'll do great!:drinker:
  • almyers7
    almyers7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just started running in late 2010 and in 2012 I completed over 18 races most were half marathons and one full (dont worry I said I would never run one either 2011 was the first, 2012 was the second, I am grounded from fulls at the moment due to a never ended concussion but halfs are good and a lot less work). I use Hal Higdon training program also but I modified them to fit my life. Running every 4-5 a week is not possible with working 60-80 hours a week. Dont forgot to add a day of strenght training (check to see if a local gym has classes so gyms have a punch card system so you only pay for the classes if you dont have a membership).
    My advice would be focus on getting the miles in (either if you have to walk/run them just get the time on your feet in). Start slow don't go try and keep a 6-7 min pace (unless you can). You will have bad days, its normal. I can recall when I was running the Miami half I passed two or three elites (I am not fast) so I know they were having a BAD day (I just ran a full the week before so I was not pushing hard, no injuries allowed), it was so humid people were dropping. Anyway, dont worry if you have an off day it happens. Don't try anything new on race day: use your regular shoes, socks and drinks/gels. Watch the course drinks some are different formulas and they can bother some people during the race that stinks. I have trained a couple "newbies" for their first half and they all finished with good times, some the best yet (because I made them train not slack off). Race day is suppose to be fun so enjoy it. Remember your first goal is always to finish! I have ran the Diva's races before everything is PINK! I am running Philly half (my favorite course flat and fast) the same weekend but good luck and if you had questions feel free to ask.
    -Andi
    "Fighting blood cancers one mile at a time, Go Team!"
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I haven't heard of Hal Higdon - I'm off to Google him. :) And no worries on me trying to maintain a 6-7 minute mile ... I'm about double that, haha. Here's hoping I get faster as the pounds come off!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have the right shoes. Take care to keep your IT bands stretched. And ave FUN :)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Hal higdons plans too, ive been using them loosely. I have my first 10 mile race this weekend! nervous and excited!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Hal higdons plans too, ive been using them loosely. I have my first 10 mile race this weekend! nervous and excited!

Good luck! :drinker:
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My best advice: have fun. If the training becomes a chore, miserable, no fun (I mean overall--to be sure you will have "moments"!), re-evaluate what you are doing and try to bring the enjoyment back. By far the biggest "mistake" I see with newbies is overtraining. Yep, need to find a "just right". Be ready to modify the plan if you need to. No shame in doing that; everyone is different. Enjoy the journey!
  • ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Add another supporter to the Hal Higdon programs. I ran my first half last year (along with a few shorter races including a few 5Ks, an 8K, a 10K, a 15K, and a 10 miler), and used his plans for anything longer than a 5K. Last year was my first year running any sort of distance, and I am completely surprised at how much I love it.

I had lots of bad runs, but I had lots of good runs. Don't feel bad about being slow (I'm super slow), just keep at it at your pace. Nothing wrong with that!

I will say this, nothing makes me feel more like a runner than missing those super-early Saturday wake-up calls to do my long runs.

I'm not training right now, and the sidewalks in my 'hood are too icy to really get outside, so I've been confined to a treadmill most days. I'm going stir crazy!
  • elbereth2010
    elbereth2010 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of John Bingham - his book Running for Mortals is like one big pep talk for getting started, and Marathoning for Mortals has a bunch of rational training plans that actually fit into a life.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am actually a big fan of Kara Goucher's Running Women Marathons. There are a lot of great training plans and tips from her throughout the book. I too am running my first half in September, but have used her plans for 10Ks and found them successful.

Good luck and have fun. If you are having a bad day, take it off. The key is to enjoy running enough to want to jump back in the ring the next day. Pushing yourself to run that bad day takes the enjoyment out.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I'll be the voice of alternative logic for this thread. First I need to say that I have nothing against the various training plans that are promoted here and various other places on the web. That being said, they aren't completely necessary. On 7/2/2012 I ran my first non-stop mile in nearly 30 years. Today I ran my first "half marathon" in a time of 2:09:33. I got there by being smart about my training and listening to my body. What worked for me was constantly varying my running. Some days short, some long. Some times slow and occasionally fast. Flat ground or hills, just get out there and run. Don't forget to take rest days when you need them and don't try to do too much too soon. Nobody ever got hurt by running too slowly.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I just ran (and loved) my first half last week. I used the Jeff Galloway training plan (18 week plan I think) which uses run/walk intervals. Since I was not going for any particular time, using run/walk intervals made it a lot more do-able and fun. I didn't even follow the plan very well -- my longest run was a couple months before the race and was only 10 miles. I still had a great time at the half and finished in under 3 hours.

His plan involves 3 runs a week, 2 shorter runs of 30-40 minutes and a longer weekend run, but the long run varies by week so you only do a really long run every other week. With the run/walk approach it's quit easy to do. Good luck and have fun with your training!
  • Jax_30
    Jax_30 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I too am running my first half this year, I am doing the Diva run in San Francisco in May, I am definitely going to look up Hal Higdon. I am looking forward to the race! I am also doing the Warrior dash this summer...looking forward to it,,, good luck, and add me if you wish, I'll fill you in on the Diva run. :-)