Breastfeeding and losing about 1lb a day?

Options
Are you supposed to lose weight that quick? Its really awesome but I don't want to stop breastfeeding yet and I'm afraid to lose my milk. I'm not sure how to stop that from happening. And is losing a pound a day ok? My baby is 6 months old. :) Thanks!

Replies

• ljervisleah
    ljervisleah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calories, healthy choices of course, lol. You should aim for no less than 1800 calories (although it sometimes seems hard to find the time to eat). I've read a pound a week is safe but it is hard not take advantage of this weight loss opportunity.
  • ajnlee25
    ajnlee25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to your supply. if you just started you are probably ok, but if you continue to loose that much weight, I am sure it is unhealthy. Even if lo is getting milk, it might not have enough nutrients. As the pp mentioned you need at least 1800 cal a day. Some people do need even more. Great Job on the weight loss so far!
  • ashleybaby12706
    ashleybaby12706 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I feel horrable =( I'm pretty sure I was starving him. I could not figure out why he was so irratable. When I nurse him be usualy calms down but he seemed frustrated. I thought maybe it was his teeth but I am 99 percent sure he isn't getting enough milk. =( should I just up my water intake or do I have to have 1800 cal a day too?
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Minimum of 1800 calories while breastfeeding, I think. I eat between 1800 and 2300 and still lose but not that quickly.
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My LO went thru a time where she was fussing while eating... I thought it was something to do with my supply as well. Just keep feeding him and your body will do what is necessary to provide for him. Don't underestimate the power of your body.
    As for the loss, I am not sure. I cannot lose anything!
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Losing a # a day is most likely water. Drink up! Also, eat 1800 cals minimum. If you get a workout in, be sure to eat back those calories. Eat good fats from nuts, avocado, olives, fish, etc. Babies need fat for their growing brains. If you are bf, then you need to eat those fats to pass along to your baby.
  • ashleybaby12706
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I am finding it hard sometimes to get in 1800 cals. Before 8 started MFP I'm sure I ate around 3000 cals with all the junk I was eating. I don't want to undue the weight loss by upping my calories. BUT I don't want to stop breastfeeding yet. =/
  • ajnlee25
    ajnlee25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with supply. My Ped recommended offering a bottle after feeding. If lo is really hungry lo will learn to take it, but it may take awhile. If he eats it all really fast and then pukes. He is extremely hungry, but he is so used to not eating enough that his stomach can't process it. If you don't like the idea of a bottle there are all sorts of other supplementing options. I recommend asking your Ped.
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend supplementing with a bottle. That will surely shorten your time breastfeeding.

Breastfeed your baby. The more he feeds, the more you will make. Also there are some foods that can help your supply. kellymom.com has lots of ideas. I for one, start my day with a bowl of oatmeal (most often with avocado for good fats and fiber). That seemed to be enough for me to maintain supply. My guy will be one in a couple of weeks.
  • ashleybaby12706
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I think I fixed it. I dont think I was eating enough calories. Poor baby was so hungry. He absolutely hates formula. Good thing he loves food now. =)
  • babywayt2013
    babywayt2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you pumping at all? You can use that to feed him afterwards if you think you're not producing. But it mostly sounds like you need to eat more. If you are eating the recommended calories for you at this time and still losing that much weight, you should see a clinician. You shouldn't lose that much with breast feeding...
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with supply. My Ped recommended offering a bottle after feeding. If lo is really hungry lo will learn to take it, but it may take awhile. If he eats it all really fast and then pukes. He is extremely hungry, but he is so used to not eating enough that his stomach can't process it. If you don't like the idea of a bottle there are all sorts of other supplementing options. I recommend asking your Ped.

This is a good way to shorten the amount of time that you are able to breastfeed. Milk production is largely based on supply and demand (assuming you are giving yourself adequate nutrition and water). Your baby tells your body that he/she needs more milk by nursing longer and more often. If you are giving the baby something else to eat, your body is not going to get that memo. If you want to increase your supply, you are best to nurse more often. Make sure you are eating enough quality foods, getting enough fluids and rest. Some say that oatmeal (or foods containing oats) will help with supply, as may Fenugreek or Mother's Milk Tea.

If baby is not thriving and you are doing all of the above, then supplementing may be necessary. But most people will be ok if they are feeding baby on demand and eating enough.

You can still lose weight while breastfeeding, but a lb a day is too much (even if you are not breastfeeding), especially if it is this far after having the baby and for more than the first week of watching calories.