How often do you Cross?

Options
atynk
atynk Posts: 400 Member
Hey all.. I started cross end up nov.. and although I do love it, I have had 2 major injuries during this time . I pulled my back doing a deadlift (that left me off exercise for 2 weeks) and now I injured my shoulder ( i think dr said was called an impingement- I will be off again for a few days with this one.. The second one was a combo of a hard wod with arms, and getting back to my competitive vball league..

Anyway. I was wondering how often everyone crossfits? Do you go 5x a week? or do you go 2 on 1 off etc.. do you think its too much to do crossfit and play sports at night ? ( i play hockey and vball) . I signed up for 5x a week, but now I am thinking its too much, so was going to break it up 2 on 1 off 2 on 1 off. I still have my sports on top of that..

Although I do push myself hard in the wods.. i don't feel like i do anything to risk injuries. I use lighter weights than most people, and told the trainers since my deadlift injury i don't feel comfortable trying them again until my back is stronger. So i know my limits..

Just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with injuries or how you stagger your workouts for rest?

THanks!

Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I WOD 3x/ week. Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    have only just started but go 3x week at present til my body adjusts and my muscles stop screaming at me lol
    I also play netball & squash on a weekly basis
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    5-6 days a week depending on time/energy/intensity of wods. if i go 6 i usually have a "easy day" and will modify things or do them at 1/2 weight. i don't play any extra sports, but do have a very active job. i kinda just feel how my body is, push myself during lifting/wods, but am careful not to try to show anyone up at risk of injury. ive been doing it for 4 months injury free :)
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My intention upon signing up was to go 3x a week. But I have somehow become semi-addicted to feeling "destroyed", so I have 4x this week and if I can do it I will go all 5 weekdays next week.

I play ice hockey Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday and more if people will call me to sub.

Other than being ridiculously sore and my bum knee giving me a little trouble (I tore my right knee ACL in 1999) I don't have any injury problems so far. :)
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I drank the Kool-Aid and went from 2 to 3 to 6 days a week now (I'm 7 months in). I'm 46 years old and have had one injury so far (KNOCK ON WOOD). I overdid it on deadlifts and sat out for 4 days with a sore back. I have a desk job, so I feel the need to be consistent with something. My Box does a good job of changing things up, so I don't feel overtrained. I add a bit of cardio in (running/rowing) 2-3X a week, but nothing major...20 minutes or so.

I stretch and take BCAAs after every workout. I think that has helped as well.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Crossfit Mon,Wed,Fri., powerlifting Tues,Thurs,Sat. and rest Sunday.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I plan to do Mon/Tue On, Wed Off, Thurs/Fri On, Sat/Sun Off
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    CF Tues and Th, and kettkebells on Sat, and sometimes stay for that WOD, too. I am a big fan of the Less is More philosophy. I also have shoulder issues, but they are anatomical issues, not CF related. Having surgery on one next month, will fix the other next year, maybe. To be honest, if I didn't have dogs at home, I might go more often because I like the atmosphere, but I truely believe it's not in my best interest to work out that often.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    CrossFit - 3x per week: Tues., Wed., and Thurs evenings ... Been crossfitting since May 2012.

Spin Class - 3x per week: Mon. Wed., and Friday mornings . . . until the snow melts, then it's back to the road/trail bike ;-)

Lap Swim - 2x per week: Mon. and Fri. *during lunch.

*always make sure I stretch-out before each session and occasionally attend yoga classes for deeper/longer streching.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    3x/week Tues, Thursday, and Saturday.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Usually 3 times per week, MWF. Sometimes I'll add in one more day.. I work on my running on the days I don't Crossfit.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    2 x week (Tues & Thurs) + weight training & cardio on the other 6 x days.
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm training for a half marathon, so I go twice a week (usually Tues/Fri), run 3x a week, stretch/rest one day, full rest the other. I rolled an ankle on a bad box jump but that effected my running more than my CF sessions.
  • mholmquist
    mholmquist Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do it 3x a week....Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I run the opposite days or a run/walk. Depending on how sore I am from the wod.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I crossfit 4 times per week, usually Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat. I tpyically run 2-3 days per week, lift on my own twice a week and then play in a soccer league once a week. I make sure I have at least one full rest day each, sometimes two, so I almost always crossfitting and then running/lifting on the same day.
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm in there 3 days on, 1 day off, sometimes taking an extra day off due to work schedule. However, my third day is always an easier day with days 1 & 2 as "destroy your will to live' days.
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    2- 3X a week - I took a break off for a bit and really regretted I. I am just now feeling like I am getting back into things. I also try to get to the gym 2 other times or work out at home.
  • dtlam76
    dtlam76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do 3 wods a week on top of my regular spin,swim and weights.
  • workout_fish
    workout_fish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I WOD 2X a week. I do cardio and light weights the other days. I dont think my muscles could handle more than 2 days right now!!
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It really depends how my body is responding to volume. I'm about a 4x/week person. I'm trying to work more cycling in as well so I can have decent form come Spring.