Cat keeps waking me up.

Options
dubist
dubist Posts: 279 Member
My cat keeps waking me up ( profile pic). he comes in the room and calls out a kitty trill not a meow and/or scratching on the side of the bed and/or now i have a puppy and he starts grooming the dog which turns into play time (otherwise the dog is chill). if i close the door he stands right on the other side and scratches. otherwise he is a great cat even if he is a bit bitey. Any ideas how to stop him?

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain !

My cat-from-hell has been waking me up for 11+ years ........ most of the time it's for food, sometimes it's just for attention ....... and if I lock her out of the room, she just throws herself at the door all night ......

I should have started spraying her with a water bottle years ago, that might have worked :laugh:

Good luck !
  • taffymangos
    taffymangos Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    One of my cats would wake us up in the mornings all the time before before she passed away a few years ago. She did it to get breakfast, the brat.lol. My current kitties rather sleep in than wake us up for breakfast. I think he may always do it, then again as he gets older he might calm down in the mornings. Good luck!:tongue:
  • Scottish_Lass
    Options
    One of my cats, Luna, will wake me up too. Every morning. Without fail. She climbs up the shelves, onto the top of the bookcase and then LEAPS straight onto me. If I dont get up, she'll rinse and repeat :laugh:

It's a hard thing to stop, especially because you cant close him out because he scratches. You'll have to find a way to discourage him from entering the room, even if the door is open in the morning. Water bottle, and a wee scoosh in the face might do the trick? Otherwise, keep picking him up and placing him back outside the room until he gets the idea. Yeah, you'll have to wake up and get out of bed to do this, but it might stick. You never know!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Does your cat have access to a litter tray or a catflap to go out? Does it have access to food and drink.

Cats have their own timetable and you really can't expect them to live to yours so if its a toilet or food issue then providing a litter tray and food & water will cure the problem. If, however, its just that they want a fuss there are a few tricks you can try. Give lots of fuss before bed, fuss over load, I've found this helps with my very demanding hand reared kitty however he will occasionally still wake me demanding more and then I play dirty...he doesn't like being under the covers so I grab him and fuss him under the covers and he invariably makes his escape and leaves me alone.

If its only recent behaviour then he is probably feeling pushed out by the new puppy. He was here first and like a toddler with a new baby brother or sister its very possible/probable that he is getting less attention and is, rightfully so, feeling jealous. Give him more of your time and see if that helps.