pregnant diet touchie subject

Options
i wanna be honest i am 205 and i am 20 . i have a 3 a 2 and 1 year ol ( tanner just turned 1 on jan 12) and i gained alotta weight withthe other 3 . i was avidly restricting before i was pregnant ( which means yes i was more than 205:( ) what should i do now i am stressed every day about gaining and i heard Obese [pregnant woman were somtimes advised to like a vegan diet is this true i need advice ???
i exercise every day and i eat alot of very spicey soup and salad

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor first, but I wrote up a blog about this a few days ago that might give you some good places to start: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PregosaurusRex/view/liz-s-guide-to-pregnancy-nutrition-and-fitness-469646

Starting with an obese BMI means you'll want to not gain as much as someone who starts at a healthy BMI. How much is ideal for you is up to your doctor. That being said, if you remain active and focus on eating high-quality nutrient-dense food with plenty of folid acid, iron, and calcium, even if you gain a little more than what you're "supposed" to gain, you should be okay barring other medical conditions. You'll want to have a lot of fruit, veggies, some dairy, whole-grain or fiber-rich breads, etc.

I do NOT recommend a restricted or vegan diet (unless you're already vegan for ethical purposes). One of the essential nutrients you need now is iron, and the easiest way to get that in your diet is via meat, especially red meat.

Don't stress about the number on the scale so much. Focus on good nutrition and keeping yourself active and healthy.
  • skoblinka
    Options
    I agree with pp, you definitely need to check with your doctor first. And in terms of food, try focusing on servings rather than calories. The good old food pyramid wants us to eat mostly veggies and fruit, whole grains, milk products, meat and occasional treat (in that order). So if you try to get those 7-8 servings of veggies and fruit every day, it's a great start! You can start with these general guidelines: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/prenatal/index-eng.php and ask your doctor at the next visit before starting any kind of a diet. Good luck!
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I suggest you talk to your doc, read P-Rex's post and also limit your carbs. I'm fairly confident I wouldn't have gained as much as I have (28 lbs at 35 weeks) if I had controlled my carbs more, and I started out with an overweight BMI. Focus on food quality and make sure you get your nutrients. Also when I say "limit carbs", I mean keep them to around 150-200 grams per day, not any kind of Atkins-type stuff. Protein is very important too, as are fruits, veggies and your prenatal vitamins. I personally think the "whole grain" thing is a bunch of hype and BS but that's my opinion and I don't know your diet background. I strongly advise against vegan - I used to be vegan and I'm not any more because I started having a lot of nutritional problems even though my diet was varied.
  • 2204givme
    Options
    we eat way to much noodles and my hubby wants meat with every meal i have been just having soup for supper for the last 3 days . plus my schedule is so messed i dont eat till 3 or 4 some times
  • VelociMama
    Options
    we eat way to much noodles and my hubby wants meat with every meal i have been just having soup for supper for the last 3 days . plus my schedule is so messed i dont eat till 3 or 4 some times

Make it a priority to eat more often and get more calories in. Your baby needs good nutrition to grow, so make time and put the effort into making it happen.

I know it's not always easy, but you'll feel a lot better once you're eating regularly also.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Why are you worried about meat?
  • 2204givme
    Options
    i need good meal i deas that my hubby will love to but still healthy .. he wont even eat salad . unless its loaded with bacon n chicken :( and i hate meat in my salad ?? mind you my husband eats like a tank and is only 130 pounds -.-
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    i need good meal i deas that my hubby will love to but still healthy .. he wont even eat salad . unless its loaded with bacon n chicken :( and i hate meat in my salad ?? mind you my husband eats like a tank and is only 130 pounds -.-

My husband is the same way, he's six feet tall, 175 and eats a ton. You can always make a salad with the fixings on the side and he can put them in himself. My husband is a chef (and sadly no he doesn't cook at home because he works swing so we only see each other two nights a week), so we frequently cook for ourselves. I know lots of guys like crock pot recipes and stuff like that, maybe you could try some stews, etc.? You can always make extra veggies or whatever on the side for you even if he doesn't want them. For instance when we do cook together, mine will make mashed potatoes and I'll have green beans instead.
  • VelociMama
    Options

Check out the crock pot thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/834863-crock-pot-tips-and-recipes?hl=crock

Lots of really easy good recipes in there that are tasty also.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You can stick to making meals that your husband likes and just really watch your portion control. Most things are fine in moderation. If you feel that a healthy portion size of something isn't enough to fill you up just add extra veggie or fruit etc to help bulk it out without adding significant calories. That's what I do anyway!
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The baby will take what it needs even it the mom's detrement, but who wants to be too weak to care for there newbornor take forever to heal. That being said, your doctor is the best person to ask this question. While philosophies vary, one thing that is utmost is taking your prenatals because when you cannot eat your baby will at least get some of what it needs. i understand that life does get busy, you 3 kids under 4 plus one on the way wish i had your energy, but the kids and your husband are not completely depending on your for their nutrients. Eat everything in moderation is my rule because it is hard to start big and be told you don't have much more to grow.
  • 2204givme
    Options
    thanks you all for being so considerate . i have always had e.d so when i recovred i gained a tone :( i am just wanting to be healthy help my kids learn to be healthy and still keep every one happy ;;; blah ... which is extremly hard somtimes .. i dont know if i mentioned i am 20 with 3 and soon to be 4 so i will tell you know some of my questions sometimes might night seem as bright . mainly because i was only alloud to go to gr.8 so my grammer can be a little crappy haha .. but i am always up to hearing other opinion /life experiences so i can try and see how i can better my own cause i admit i still need advice some times:(
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    thanks you all for being so considerate . i have always had e.d so when i recovred i gained a tone :( i am just wanting to be healthy help my kids learn to be healthy and still keep every one happy ;;; blah ... which is extremly hard somtimes .. i dont know if i mentioned i am 20 with 3 and soon to be 4 so i will tell you know some of my questions sometimes might night seem as bright . mainly because i was only alloud to go to gr.8 so my grammer can be a little crappy haha .. but i am always up to hearing other opinion /life experiences so i can try and see how i can better my own cause i admit i still need advice some times:(

You can do this! I wasn't happy about starting my pregnancy overweight, but I'm kind of over it now. You just have to do what you can when it comes to eating healthy, being as active as possible and taking your vitamins. Don't stress too much, your baby is the most important thing right now and it won't do you any good to fret.