WK 2 Foods (BEANS) (CALIFLOWER) (APPLES)

Options
inspirem
inspirem Posts: 182 Member
Hey everyone! New week means new foods ideas and recipes to share! If you got em then post em!

This week...

BEANS- any kind ( pinto, black, garbonzo, northern white, kidney, etc!) any recipes or ideas?

CALIFLOWER- do you serve it cold or hot? Do you have any type of sauces to drizzle? Do you steam it, broil or grill?

APPLES- fruit has a way of being healthy, sweet and delicious! Any apple recipes that help you get over a sweet craving? What are are the ways you eat apples?

Post recipes or ideas on how you eat these food items!

Thanks

M!

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe that actually is both beans and cauliflower!

http://lawstudentscookbook.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/kidney-bean-cauliflower-curry/

It's a curry and is delicious. Unfortunately I can't eat beans anymore, so no more of this curry dish for me.
  • izenzo
    izenzo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For apples: Core and bake it with a little cinnamon. Gives you that 'apple pie' effect :smile:

For cauliflower: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-stella/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I steam the cauliflower, then process it with butter, almond milk, garlic, and pepper. It tastes very much like a baked potato.
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Pizza Crust
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/cauliflower-pizza

I've tried it twice....still working on perfecting it. The key is to squeeze the moisture out so it isn't a soggy crust. But it is yummy!
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    A new favorite way to eat califlower is to brush it with a little extra virgin olive oil (evoo), then brush it with any type of bottled hot wing sauce and bake in oven @ 375-400 degree oven for 15-20 min ( or until desired tenderness)...this is yummy especially if you like hot wings but want a meatless meal!

I love garbonzo beans in my salad cold or broiled in the oven! You can do the same with garbonzo beans as the califlower recipe above!

As for apples I love dipping them in peanut butter, or almond butter!

All the ideas sound yummy so far!!!
  • cubbie_girl
    cubbie_girl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If I post a cauliflower recipe that I discovered after deploying and haven't been able to try it yet, will someone try it for me and post pictures and brag about how awesome it was (if it was awesome)??

I don't think I have a bean recipe that I've tried either. And we eat apples with PB, or my daughter discovered she likes caramel with her apples. Oh! I do have one for apples, but I need to research it and see if it is at all healthy or can be made healthy... hold that thought!!

Edit: I'm back with my apple recipe - there are several variations and I think there are ways to make it tad healthier. This version is from my first editor way back in my college intern days:

2 slices cinnamon raisin swirl bread
    enough sharp cheddar cheese to cover one slice of bread crust to crust
    Thinly sliced Granny Smith apples, enough to cover the cheese
    Make a sandwich and brush the outsides with a little melted butter
    Grill

To make this healthier, I think I'd switch to a whole grain bread, spinkle the apples with a little cinnamon (cause you NEED the cinnamon flavor - yum!) and use a light brushing of olive oil instead of butter. Or you can panini it, and leave off the oil and butter altogether. I'm still not sure of the calories or fat content, but it's really delicious!
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I also have a cauliflower and bean microwave recipe. I have no clue how I came up with this, but I eat it all the time and absolutely love it.

Ingredients:

100-150 grams of cauliflower
    1/2 cup black beans
    2 tbsp salsa
    1 tbsp (or more) Kraft Simply light sour cream (the best light sour cream I've ever tried)

I put my cauliflower in my handy dandy little food chopper until it's rice size then cook it in microwave for about 3 minutes with a few tbsp of water. I don't drain the water. Add black beans and microwave again about 1-2 minutes. Add salsa (or you could add it when you add black beans) and sour cream, mix and enjoy!

Super yummy and filling!
  • cubbie_girl
    cubbie_girl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a friend back home about healthy snacks he could make and take to work since he is always hungry before lunch and doesn't want to raid the snack bar. I remembered I'd made some hummus a while back as an experiment that actually went well- except I blew the motors on two blenders (I needed a new one anyway - teehee). So here's a link to a recipe for the bean catagory -

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/smoky-chipotle-hummus/

Enjoy!
  • babyskunkles
    babyskunkles Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like to cut up an apple in my tuna salad. Something about it makes me not feel the need to put it on bread or crackers, just eat it by itself. I can't keep bread in the house because I am an addict and can't stop, so anything with no bread is good to me.
  • tinatatertoes
    tinatatertoes Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I stuff a half an apple sliced thinly into a half of a whole grain pita with natural peanut butter (like Adams) and eat it for breakfast. So good.
  • RoseyK
    RoseyK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    when I make my oatmeal, I add a chopped apple to it

1/2 cup quaker oats
    3/4 cup skim milk
    1 chopped peeled apple
    1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (for special treat)
    cinnamon
    pinch of salt

microwave for 2 minutes and 45 seconds.....

add little stevia and stir.

this keeps me filled all morning and is one of my favorite breakfasts..

totally awesome.