Vegan Greek or Regular yogurt

Options
I've been looking for a good vegan brand of greek or regular plain yogurt to add to recipes and smoothies. I don't know what I'm supposed to look for on the label so what brand do you buy that's vegan? Is zanthum gum or pectin vegan? I shop at safeway and super walmart for food so what vegan brand could I buy there?

Replies

• SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I responded to you on the Happy Herbivores post :)
  • sl0622
    sl0622 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ugh - I don't mean to be a bummer - but vegan yogurt (soy- or coconut-based) is the pits, and it's very hard to find at Walmart. You'll have a better chance at Safeway. The labels will clearly say vegan, or at the very least - dairy-free, which isn't the same as vegan - so depends on what you're looking for. Similar to cheese - it just doesn't compare. I have strained regular plain soy yogurt for a few hours in the fridge using cheese cloth... (Suspend over the top of a bowl using rubber bands and the liquid slowly drips out - - even better is letting it sit overnight.) But I've done that when I've needed thicker consistecy yogurt for things like tzatziki or other yogurt-based dips and it help improve the consistency of soy yogurt, which is very thin.
  • Cannellini
    Cannellini Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make a yoghurt substitute with aseptic tofu (marketed in Australia as Morinaga, but I think it's sold as Mori-nu in the US?). I process a box with 10—20g of agave, a spoonful of Tofutti cream cheese and if I've got it, a generous squeeze of lemon juice and lemon rind. I love it.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The Wholesoy brand vegan yogurt is quite good--terrific for smoothies and baking. I buy it plain and unsweetened for maximum customization. Their site has a store locator: http://www.wholesoyco.com/store-locator/item/store-locator

That lemon tofu yogurt sounds really delicious.
  • skinnybetch78
    skinnybetch78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had this same question!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    so delicious makes one that is coconut I think? I've seen in my local regular grocery store.