Why shorter men fall short?

Options
jsd43953
jsd43953 Posts: 43 Member
Here is one of those questions that are often danced around but never really addressed. What are the true issues behind a taller woman dating a shorter man? While everybody is entitiled to his/her own opinion of what is right for them, I cant help to think that there is a bit of so called "shallowness" behind the notion that a man and a woman can't date because of height. Come one, come all lets have a disccussion.

Replies

• pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    There's no TRUE issues, just personal preferences. I don't mind if a guy is shorter than me. In my experience, it gets to them after awhile; they prefer to be the 'bigger' person in the relationship, more macho, manly, however you want to put it. The vast majority of men in the city I live are shorter than I am, which does not bother me, but their egos get the best of em.
  • michiganmanda
    michiganmanda Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy once who was about 2" shorter than me which I was fine with until he started to take issue with it. He kept telling people that we were the same height but he just slouched so he looked shorter....

The tallest guy I ever dated was only 5" taller than me. I thought it was too tall, hard to get a kiss in! One of my girlfriends who is 6'3" is getting married this summer to a guy who is 6'7". They are looking to buy a car that they can both fit their knees into, any suggestions??
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    For me I feel like a giant next to a short man. It has everything to do with my own deep insecurity about my height and nothing to do with anything lacking on his part.
  • jsd43953
    Options
    @ pkiesch: Thank you for your voice and input. I think you keyed in on something with your input. Egos and masculinity can be the biggest factors of why relationships don't flurish or even fail. I was raised to believe that an appearance can be here today and gone tomorrow, and if that was to happen what would be left? For me I believe that any beauty worth finding is inside the person. Big, tall, short, fat, green, blue, yelllow. We all deserve a fair shot at a quality relationship, with a quality person.
  • jsd43953
    Options
    @ michiganmanda: Just like I stated to pkiesch; egos and masculinity can be the biggest factors of why relationships don't flurish or even fail. Maybe it is a form of preference for taller woman to like taller men, just the same as shorter men to like shorter woman. It is a safety mechanism, a cognitive response to what society would view as normal, or just whats comfortable? The more I look at the topic, I am questioning if there is a real answer to the question or not.

As for your friends, that is a quite hieght profound couple. I would say they should stay away from anything that is not in the LS or SUV realm. LS models tend to be the roomiest of the car models, so they may find luck there with space while also saving a penny or two on gas. IF all else fails, the flintstones car seems to be a good choice for extra long legs :) j;k
  • jsd43953
    Options
    @ celeigh12: Well I understand that. Insercurities make us uncomfortable. Uncomfortability makes us retreat. We are creatures of habit. How do you think you would react if a shorter man took your insecurities and nutured them to be your biggest compliments?
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I had no problems dating a shorter fella, but I always preferred a taller guy because, darn it, I want to feel dainty! I never feel dainty!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy once who was about 2" shorter than me which I was fine with until he started to take issue with it. He kept telling people that we were the same height but he just slouched so he looked shorter....

The tallest guy I ever dated was only 5" taller than me. I thought it was too tall, hard to get a kiss in! One of my girlfriends who is 6'3" is getting married this summer to a guy who is 6'7". They are looking to buy a car that they can both fit their knees into, any suggestions??

I dated a 6'9" basketball player once! He kept bumping his head on exit signs, no lie.
    For your friends, Fords always have tons of legroom.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    @ celeigh12: Well I understand that. Insercurities make us uncomfortable. Uncomfortability makes us retreat. We are creatures of habit. How do you think you would react if a shorter man took your insecurities and nutured them to be your biggest compliments?

That would take a hell of a lot of nurturing. I'm not sure I have that many years left! :bigsmile:
  • joeshap2003
    joeshap2003 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First time I dated a taller woman, I felt a little awkward at first when we went out...especially when she wore heels. But that was my own issue, not hers, and I soon got over any insecurity and fell in love with her... we've been married for 17 years.
  • IronKitty
    IronKitty Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The majority of guys I've dated have been my height or shorter, the majority of guys I get hit on by are shorter than me (at times MUCH MUCH shorter), but I am definitely more attracted to guys who are taller. Its a personal preference, not shallow, I've always been more attracted to taller guys.
    What I have noticed and feel uncomfortable with is that being tall is often fetishized by shorter men (not all, of course, but by the majority of those who've been interested in me). Especially when getting hit on it seems to be about how I fit into their fantasy, I've actually had people say very explicitly that.
    Still the majority of guys I've dated have been shorter than me, for some it hasn't been an issue, for others they start off loving it, but quickly start wanting me to stop wearing heels (haha thats never going to happen!).