How do you keep your weight gain under control?

Options
honkytonks85
honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
I'm really struggling. Feels like just eating to my TDEE and still gaining. I can feel my clothes getting tighter (I haven't got scales so I haven't been on them, I'm too afraid).

How do you keep your weight under control? Or is it just a 'reality' that no matter how hard I try it's going to keep piling on???

Replies

• Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    youre growing a baby dont worry about the wight gain right now...just eat sensably!!!
  • honkytonks85
    Options
    I know I shouldn't worry, but I gained stacks of weight during my last pregnancy and determined to not let that happen again because it caused complications (I had to get a C section in the end)
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It's a difficult one. I know it's easy for people to say not to worry about it and that you can take it off when the baby's born. But you are right, it can cause complications and in general make you feel pretty awful.
    What are your settings on MFP? Are you eating to maintain, or have you put in a gain? I know different things work for different people. I've actually lost weight at 14 weeks and wasn't overweight to start with, just been very sick and no appetite, and my clothes were too tight at 8 weeks! So I don't think it's a bad thing that yours aren't fitting well. The second (or third, or fourth) time around everything relaxes and spreads a lot quicker than the first time so don't compare it to a previous pregnancy.
    I guess in general all you can do is keep very active, and eat healthy food, wholegrains, lots of fruit and veg and low fat dairy and lean protein. If you still gain more than you are happy with than you can at least know that you did your very best, and this was just how it was meant to be. Staying active and eating well can help prevent complications even if you put on more weight than you wanted to.
    I know I'm really concerned about putting on lots in the thrid trimester. With my first pregnancy, I put on 3 pounds in the first 20 weeks and 37 pounds in the second 20! A few people have mentioned watching cards in the second and third trimesters. Not in a low carbs Atkins kind of way but just under 200 grams a day. It's something I'm considering as I do think my body doesn't process carbs well in the later stages of pregnancy. I could put on 4 lbs a week with my daughter and I know I wasn't eating enough to justify that.
    Anyway, if anyone else has any ideas, I'd be interested to here them as well. I'm hoping for a homebirth and trying to keep as healthy as possible to get the best chance of that going ahead!
  • honkytonks85
    Options
    It's a difficult one. I know it's easy for people to say not to worry about it and that you can take it off when the baby's born. But you are right, it can cause complications and in general make you feel pretty awful.
    What are your settings on MFP? Are you eating to maintain, or have you put in a gain? I know different things work for different people. I've actually lost weight at 14 weeks and wasn't overweight to start with, just been very sick and no appetite, and my clothes were too tight at 8 weeks! So I don't think it's a bad thing that yours aren't fitting well. The second (or third, or fourth) time around everything relaxes and spreads a lot quicker than the first time so don't compare it to a previous pregnancy.
    I guess in general all you can do is keep very active, and eat healthy food, wholegrains, lots of fruit and veg and low fat dairy and lean protein. If you still gain more than you are happy with than you can at least know that you did your very best, and this was just how it was meant to be. Staying active and eating well can help prevent complications even if you put on more weight than you wanted to.
    I know I'm really concerned about putting on lots in the thrid trimester. With my first pregnancy, I put on 3 pounds in the first 20 weeks and 37 pounds in the second 20! A few people have mentioned watching cards in the second and third trimesters. Not in a low carbs Atkins kind of way but just under 200 grams a day. It's something I'm considering as I do think my body doesn't process carbs well in the later stages of pregnancy. I could put on 4 lbs a week with my daughter and I know I wasn't eating enough to justify that.
    Anyway, if anyone else has any ideas, I'd be interested to here them as well. I'm hoping for a homebirth and trying to keep as healthy as possible to get the best chance of that going ahead!

Hey there, I've set mine up to maintain my weight. Sometimes I go under and sometimes I go a bit over, I try and just maintain or even aim for a little bit less than my TDEE.

The hard part about staying active is I've been pretty tired and unmotivated, and hungry all the time! And it's only my first trimester. Just trying to keep myself in check has been a challenge. I've been aiming for at least 3 times a week at the gym and some walking on other days.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to not overdo it on carbs, try to keep them at or under 220 grams/day. Make sure you get as much unprocessed food as possible but don't be too hard on yourself - indulgences are okay! I had a hard time getting in my fruits and veggies at first and noticed improvement after that, as well as reducing the carbs. Carbs can cause bad water retention for me.
  • kqs2002
    kqs2002 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My Dr said to keep the weight gain to about 15 pounds. I'm almost in my second trimester and haven't gained anything yet but I am nervous about keeping it under control. I am overweight but have lost about 50 pounds since my last pregnancy so I feel I'm starting out healthier than I have before. I work out 3-5 times a week and try to eat well. Tracking my food helps a ton!! I try to eat a lot of fruits and veggies especially for snacks. I wish you the best. I know it can be really tough! I'm pulling for you!
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I walk/jog on most days (about 40-45 minutes of walking with 15 minutes of jogging mixed in there), and if it's a day where I'm feeling tired I end up just walking for about an hour. It makes me feel good and gives me extra energy just to stay active. I try to eat pretty healthy but I also allow myself to eat those French fries and chicken sandwiches that I crave a couple of times a week! I've cut out most sweets naturally because pregnancy has kind of made me have an aversion to them. I guess it is a good thing, because normally I crave chocolate. But if I do crave a donut I eat just one and try to make sure my other meals are healthy, or if I crave cake I cut off a little sliver instead of eating a slice or two. It's all about moderation...but really staying active and listening to your body makes all the difference. I eat between 2200 and 2500 calories a day and have kept my weight gain down to 11 pounds in 25 weeks, which I think is right on track for gaining 25 pounds total. Some people I have read are keeping their calorie intake way too low but are still gaining weight...I actually think some metabolisms require much more and it really depends from person to person. My prepregnancy BMI is 20.4 so really I need that many calories to gain gradually and get what my body needs. Most of what I have gained has gone to my belly and breasts, and I have managed to maintain a lot of muscle tone just by staying active....which will help a lot postpregnancy! My baby is actually measuring bigger than others I know who have already gained double what I have. So my advice would also be, if you are active, make sure you eat back most of those calories so your baby will get what it needs.