Metformin Question...

Options
So, I have been browsing through the forum in this group and I have seen many who are taking Metformin who actually enjoy the drug and others who dislike it....I have been dealing with PCOS for some years now (11+ to be exact) and I wasn't given any drug to treat it until recently. My Dr has prescribed me Metformin and I believe some Insulin reducers... I haven't yet begun taking them because my question is (to those who are taking Metformin): Have you experienced any hair loss? I have read that it does help with hirsutism, but have also read about some women who experience their hair actually thinning and being able to notice their scalp more. I have thick hair and haven't noticed my hair thin out over the past few years nor have i experienced any hair loss I just fear taking Metformin will cause this issue. I have heard it helps with losing weight and other good things but the loss of hair is the one that stops me in my tracks... open to suggestions and opinions...

-Karma.

Replies

• robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for six months and haven't experienced any hair loss from my head! I never really suffered from hair problems elsewhere so can't comment on whether it helps this, but it definitely hasn't thinned me out on top! Everyone is different though, and you could react to it differently than other sufferers. I will say I found it took a good two/three months for the Metformin to kick in and have an effect at all on my weight loss, but I find now that I can actually lose weight whilst on it, whereas I struggled to even shift a couple of pounds before. I'd recommend you give it a try, like with any drug if you get any adverse side effects stop taking it and talk to your doctor.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It has actually helped my hair loss. I was losing clumps but three months after going on Metformin, I am now only losing a normal amount. It does take awhile (about three months) for any changes to occur with your hair because of the hair's life cycle.
  • megg2991
    megg2991 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Metformin for almost a year now. My Dr. coupled it will aldactone (which helps hair growth). My hair used to fall out all the time, and this has really helped me now lose nearly as much. The Metformin has made me sick if I eat what I'm not supposed to, but if you stick with it, it helps periods and everything! I don't have anymore excessive hairgrowth anywhere (face,stomach etc). Good luck!
  • mburlina86
    Options
    I have been on Metformin for years, and several different methods (I am not on the extended release, a huge difference in how my body reacts to it, no stomach issues at all!!), I have not had an experience with losing hair on my head. Except the usually amount people with thick hair lose. I have, however, lost all the "not needed" hair on my face, arms, legs ect... That was a huge perk! I also take Yasmin with the metformin to control my hormone levels while the Metformin controls the insulin levels. Hope this was helpful! Goodluck!

P.S. If you are taking the normal Metformin, work your way up to the full amount. Start will 500mg at a time and go up from there. It took me over a month to get to the full amount without being super sick from it!
  • dqgirl1
    dqgirl1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i have been on met for a few years and struggled on/off with tummy issues. But it wasnt til I actually cut the crap did I feel AMAZING on it!! I am also on spironolactone( alcadone) for hair loss( never excessive unwanted but head hair loss) THIS IS ONLY BECAUSE my testosterone was elevated!!! MY labs are BEAUTIFUL and my hair is back to normal and I lost 52 lbs!!! At first I was totally against any meds but with the way I feel now, Ill NEVER go back!!! Its wasnt that way though for several years but once I got it together I felt the difference. Its all how you use it and how you live. good luck and I hope you can start to like it

I will also add DO NOT TAKE regular metformin!! get the metformin ER( extended release or the brand name fortamet) the regular is a disaster!! My MET ER is like under 10.00 but my fortamet was $40-50.00. I couldnt afford that a month. I will not go back to fortamet either!!