I tried EA Sports Active 2, but I'm looking for something wi

Options
ShinerShawn
ShinerShawn Posts: 2 Member
Last year I bought EA Sports Active 2 for the PS3, but I encountered some problems.

First, I started at 510 lbs, and that piece that you are supposed to strap around your leg _barely_ fit and came undone constantly. I went looking for an extra piece of velcor that I might be able to use as an extension, but I was never able to find anything reasonable.

That point kind of became moot, though, as the first week in, I tore my MCL while trying to do the jumping jacks exercise. My MCL has healed but it was a serious set back and my knee is not quite the same as it used to be.

From this experience I learned the following:

- Go see a doctor BEFORE you play a game like this and ask what types exercise your can do. For someone my size, I was put on a "no impact" regiment which includes mostly walking and swimming.

- You can customize your workout in EA Sports Active 2, but there are only a handful of low impact cardio exercises, so it doesn't really excel in that area.

-This game in general is not made for someone as large as I am, but I'll probably give it a try again in 250 lbs or so.

So, having learned that, I was considering buying a kinect and trying out DDR2. Can anyone who has played that speak towards how "low impact" that game is? I'm hoping that there are maybe a good number of dance routines that don't require any jumping. Any thoughts?

Maybe there are some even better low impact games out there?

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    A lot of the exercise games are geared toward people who want to lose under fifty pounds AND are physically able to do tons of jumping, getting up and down from the floor and stand on one leg.

Personally, I've found that I burn plenty by just playing regular games on my Kinect. I hope to work up to the 'workout' games soon.

I play Kinect Adventures the most- I would recommend it but keep in mind there are two of the games that do require jumping. I skipped those when I first started. There are three games that will get your heart rate up enough- one involves stepping side to side and reaching out in specific locations; one that is about flapping/holding out your arms while standing in different locations and a handball type game with fast movements but they are small. A huge bonus is this game is so prevelant- you can pick it up for five bucks used.

Kinect Sports season two is another game I play often. The golf is relaxing as are the darts. Tennis will get your heart rate up without making you hop around. Skiing contains jumps- so I'd skip that for now.

I have The Biggest Loser and it's been frustratingly slow going for me. There is A LOT of up and down from the floor and knee work- this is so painful for me I can' even begin to describe it. I've started doing those standing up. There is a yoga section that is ok but even on low there is a lot of knee work.

There is A LOT of side to side movements with the Kinect- with your knee issues I'd absolutely recommend running these by your doc first.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I use Walk It Out on the Wii. Low impact, good starting game for fitness. I have since bought some Biggest Loser DVDs. Also, very good stuff for weight loss. I don't do anything that requires jumping. Low impact is the way to go.
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dance Central and Dance Central 2 for the Kinect are good, but I think the reason I don't get good scores are because of how big I am, it doesn't track right. Doesn't keep me from doing it though! On easy few of the songs have jumps, and if they do, I just go up on my toes, or if it's a side jump, I just step to the side. I agree with the Kinect sports and Adventures as well. we have all of them. I don't do much on adventures because of the 2 that involve jumping, and you can't fool this game. If you get on Xbox and you have Live and you want to add me, Message me on here and I'll give you my gamertag. I'm always looking for new friends who will help keep me motivated and accountable. Good luck, keep it up, and don't get discouraged!
  • Chocolatewoman
    Chocolatewoman Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My knee gives me problems so I, too, have to go the low impact route.

Leslie Sansone's Five Really Big Miles and Konami's Walk It Out (for Wii) DVDs are really good.

The Walk It Out DVD is really good when you use a Dance Dance Revolution dance mat because it counts your steps/points better.
  • breezedm
    breezedm Posts: 12
    Options
    Biggest Loser for Kinect has a lot of jumping in it, so its high impact. Your Shape 2012 Kinect has jumping in it too, but you can choose the work outs. A lot of them are high impact, but there are many low impact exercises as well and you can choose specific exercises. Kinect Sports season one and two are good as long as you skip the jumping ones.
  • AnotherAustinGirl
    AnotherAustinGirl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of DDR, have all the ones available. You can turn off the Jump. It's in the settings or options somewhere. It's called JUMP and can be either ON or OFF. There's also a thing called Cut (I think), if you turn that ON, it keeps it to only four steps in a measure, which makes it a LOT easier especially if you're a beginner. It's in the same place as the JUMP. Different DDRs have them in different places or I'd specify. Some of them only have it if you're in Workout mode as opposed to just the regular dancing mode.

If you turn off JUMP and turn on CUT, it's definitely a low impact game.
  • hotchick22
    hotchick22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to my fitness pal. I have been off and on losing weight since my kids were born. I have done many dvd's and have many fitness wii and kinect games. I have biggest losers and Jillian Michaels games that are good. Jumping or jumping jacks I have been told by several people that if you can't physically jump then the motion of jumping jacks is the low impact version. The wii should still recognize this movement but I have not tried it on the kinect yet. So what you would do is bend your knees to what ever is comforitable and move your arms as you would to do the jumping jacks.Your feet never leave the floor. Or if you move your one leg side to side then the other leg side to side that can work to while your arms are doing the jumping jack motion. Hope that is helpful. Good luck.
  • wk4ck
    wk4ck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The My fitness coach doesn't have a thing for the leg and have you try Zumba on the video
  • SueFromRI
    SueFromRI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Exerbeat is low impact. Fit in Six has a mix of high impact and low impact.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm on Kinect, also Phentremine. I found out after I took the pill, I have so much left over energy that i had to do something about it. So I took the Kinect i had move it into my living room. and started it off.
    I bought Fitness Evolved 2012 for warm up and cool downs.
    Kinect sports season one. for the boxing
    Star Wars...don't get that, it's retarded.
    Fighter uncaged. (Awesome Kickboxing action)
    Dance Central 2
    Also Power Up hero. very fun. just the ability to do a Kinect Hadoken is worth it's price!!

In 1 mth, I've lost 10 lbs. but I must admit, I'm a bit nuts, I do a minimum of 90 mins per day. up to 150 mins. But I've bought my first size large jacket since 1998. I was on XL for so many years. 25 lbs to go. But I've seen so much more muscles and I have almost completely lost my upper gut! Worth it.