Running Gear

Options
Posted this in another running group, curious to see the differences, anyway...

I love running, but trying to put together enough outfits to keep up with the weather changes and frequency of my running is getting expensive to say the least. Anybody out there have a secret place they get great deals?

Also, I'm in the process of choosing a lightweight (probably soft shell) jacket that is weather resistant for the wet winter weather, and wet fall weather when I move back to the other side of the state. There are so many choices I am at a loss, what do you wear? Any go to brands? What should I be looking for?

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I've managed to cobble together a few outfits. Found a few different pairs of tights on Amazon in the $30-40 range. Can't make myself pay 60+ like they cost in most stores. I just wear my normal shorts on top of them. My legs don't really seem to get cold.

Up top, I have a few long sleeve compression shirts that I found on the clearance rack at my local Road Runner. That made them about $18 each. On top of one of those, I normally wear either a $7 Hanes sweatshirt or an Adidas pullover I got from Costco for $20.

I've been wearing my batting gloves from Softball as a "temporary" solution, but the more I wear them the less inclined I am to buy anything else. None of the "running gloves" I've seen in stores have seemed like they'd be any better.

I guess it all depends on how cold you're talking, though... I made it through November and December without having to run in below-freezing temps. And now I'm sick, so I don't have to worry about it, haha.

Here's a pic from my HM last Friday evening, just 'cause I happen to have one... It was in the mid-30s, but I was only cold until I got warmed up.

samson31.jpg
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I find that Target actually has a lot of reasonable cold weather clothes. The Champion C9 line makes some good compression undershirts and tights. I also have some gloves that I got from there that are pretty good. They are almost a neoprene-type knit and are good to 25 degrees. If I go out below that, it's a pair of mittens over my gloves. A balaclava is nice for when the wind chill is extreme - got ours at ****'s on sale. My husband wears the Champion tights with shorts over them. I am partial to a pair of New Balance fleece lined tights that I found a few years ago, and am thinking of having the zippers replaced (using duct tape now LOL) instead of buying another pair for 65 bucks. Everyone has sales going right now - I heard that Gander Mtn is doing a 50% off one this weekend. They might be a good source for jackets that are mulitpurpose. Best of luck!
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am laughing - it edited the sports store name! hee hee
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I don't get anything at the running or specialty stores, really. Wal-Mart, thrift store, clearance sales. Get non-specialized stuff where it doesn't matter (outerwear particularly - it's not going to chafe if it's not against my skin). I don't buy a lot at once, just a piece here and there, and make it last.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    We hit up the outlet mall last February or march. They have great sales that time of year. We bought quite a bit of clothes from Nike and UnderArmour. Also, My husband always likes to stop in cycle/running shops when we go places. Lots of times they will have a sale rack outside just to get people in. The stuff is always so cheap on there. I think we bought him a really nice pair of compression running shorts and a running tank for $35. Usually it would have been close to $100.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I like the active line from Old Navy - I have a couple pairs of compression tights, and some tanks and long sleeve shirts from them. I tend to dress fairly light since I warm up quickly. I do still need a light water proof jacket though. I got some very light running gloves on Amazon and I have a fleece vest and a fleece jacket from Old Navy as well. I only wear the jacket if it is low 30s or lower.
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Just visited goodwill the other day and picked up a couple of longsleeve runner shirts. I also wear the stretchy gloves with mittens over them. My biggest trouble is finding fair priced compression leggings. They are so expensive. I got a pair on ebay but most out there are still so high in price. i have bought regular leggings to wear but do not do as great a job of keeping the legs warm and usually have to double up. Much prefer warm weather to run in <sigh> but still better than treadmill.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I posted this elsewhere, but I really like my North Face verto jacket- it's super lightweight and compresses to smaller than a tennis ball. The arm pocket is a stuff sack, and when stuffed (and turned inside-out,) it has a loop that I hook to a carabiner and my hydration belt. It's practically weightless.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Posted this in another running group, curious to see the differences, anyway...

I love running, but trying to put together enough outfits to keep up with the weather changes and frequency of my running is getting expensive to say the least. Anybody out there have a secret place they get great deals?

Also, I'm in the process of choosing a lightweight (probably soft shell) jacket that is weather resistant for the wet winter weather, and wet fall weather when I move back to the other side of the state. There are so many choices I am at a loss, what do you wear? Any go to brands? What should I be looking for?

The nike element shield running jacket is the most awesome item of running clothing ever invented. It has so many fine details, you know that it was designed by people who run.

\\\http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-300/pid-637501/pgid-637502
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

The nike element shield running jacket is the most awesome item of running clothing ever invented. It has so many fine details, you know that it was designed by people who run.

\\\http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-300/pid-637501/pgid-637502

That looks fantastic. The US store has the men's on sale for $199 and the women's (not on sale) for $250. The NF verto works for my purposes, especially since I take it off after 2 miles, but it's not breathable.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I went to ****'s this weekend and bought Koppen baselayers for $14 each (normally $40 each.)
    I also run with a running group training for the half. They run from different sporting goods stores in KC and if you go to the group you normally get a discount (25%) from the store hosting.
    I shop at ****'s, Old Navy, Target, Gary Gribbles, UltraMax, and Lucy's Activewear in KC.

I do wonder what the races do with the all the gear that people abandon during races. I saw compression sleeves, gloves, hats, and even pants and shorts on the KC half.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Target has lots of athletic clothes on sale right now, and I took my hubby to Kohls and Marshalls to get him some more cold weather gear. He had *one* outfit for cold weather, now he has several.
  • elbereth2010
    elbereth2010 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My newbie running buddy completely outfitted herself with winter and spring running clothes for under $100 at TJ Maxx. I was jealous! I'm also a big fan of Target.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I do wonder what the races do with the all the gear that people abandon during races. I saw compression sleeves, gloves, hats, and even pants and shorts on the KC half.

Really? Are these people running naked? What have I been missing out on all this time?! Lol!
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    Thanks guys for the tips... I was just at TJ Maxx I had to walk away from some really awesome stuff... they had a jacket I have been looking at for a while and some nice cold weather tights, but I already have 2 pairs of those... instead I found a pair of CWX compression tights for half off... I do not know how many women I watched pass them by before I got to them... but it was worth leaving the rest of it behind. So excited to get to run in them for the first time.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Really? Are these people running naked? What have I been missing out on all this time?! Lol!

Lol- no they were wearing layers because it was in the 30s when we started and 50s by the time we finished, but I did see a race that is about stripping. I'll see if I can find the link. It's on st. Patrick's day.