Infertility, weight-loss and HOPE! (My story)

Options
kori333
kori333 Posts: 174 Member
I just posted this on the success stories, but I figured it's probably someone in this group that would appreciate reading it the most, so here it is copied over exactly from what I posted there:

While losing weight is no guaranteed solution for everyone, I just want to give hope to someone battling infertility due to being overweight. :flowerforyou:

When I got married at age 20 I was around 160 lbs at 5'4", so overweight but not obese. I'd been overweight since junior high but figured "that's just who I am." We waited a year for me to finish college before trying to conceive, but in that time I put on a lot of weight and my periods suddenly went screwy on me. I became very irregular which is incredibly frustrating when you're trying. I tipped the scales around 198 lbs before I woke up and realized I needed to lose some weight. I worked out some for about 4-5 months and got down to about 183 lbs when I had several false positive HPTs that sent me to the doctor only to be told there was no baby but instead I had multiple cysts on my ovaries and was diagnosed with PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome). We'd been trying for more than a year at this point so my doctor told me I could either go on birth control to regulate my cycles or try clomid. Well since we wanted a baby, clomid made the most sense. 2 cycles of that and I was pregnant with our first. It took 18 months total to conceive him. I started the pregnancy at 183 and ended up near 212 lbs. Yikes!

A week before delivering, April 2005
baby1small.jpg

When my son was a year old we decided to start trying again for baby #2 knowing it could take a while. We decided not to go the fertility drug route since we felt strongly we could conceive on our own this time. During the 18 months it took to conceive, I again worked on losing weight and got down to 165 lbs before getting pregnant. I gained about 25 that pregnancy.

In the hospital with #2, June 2008
baby2small.jpg

For baby #3 we again started trying after #2 turned one. This time we were thrilled when it ONLY took a year to conceive, which can be considered normal for a healthy couple. I had AGAIN worked hard to lose weight and had gotten down to 155 before getting pregnant. That pregnancy I topped out at just 177 lbs.

Baby #3 ready to go home, April 2011
baby3small.jpg

The bad news is once the baby came, I got myself back down to 162 . . . then let myself go completely and climbed the scale back up to 178 only with no pregnancy. :frown: I was so ashamed at myself for completely "letting go" and using the excuse of the stress I felt raising 3 kids as a reason to do so. I was a big time emotional eater (which I still battle) and just allowed myself to be so.

That's when I found MFP in February of last year when my baby was 9 months old. I read a million success stories and decided if everyone else could do it, then why not me!?! I exercised 20-60 minutes a day (Sundays off) and counted calories for the first time in my life. I was so pleased when I managed to hit a healthy BMI of 145 in July and decided to go even further. I got to 136 in September, a number I didn't think was POSSIBLE for my scale to even say! I felt great about myself! I had started heavy lifting and was enjoying feeling strong.

February to Sept 2012
Weightprogress8b.jpg
septarm2.jpg
septbacksmall.jpg
DSC_0499b.jpg

We decided to try for baby #4 at the end of summer (yes, we wanted more) thinking it would take as long as it always does, when to my surprise we learned we were pregnant after just 2 months! Being a healthy weight had returned my cycles completely to normal. I never thought it would ever be possible for us to get pregnant so easily, but here I sit at 18 weeks with the proof tapping me in my belly as I type this. :smile: My youngest will have just turned 2 when this baby comes.

baby4small.jpg

I know a lot of women who suffer from infertility have been told by their doctor "If you'd just lose some weight . . ." and you don't want to hear it, but losing weight did improve my fertility each time and once I was finally at a healthy weight it seemed to get rid of my PCOS issues completely. Being pregnant this time is different for me because it's the first time I've worked out while expecting. I still go to my Zumba class 2-3 times a week, though I did stop lifting because I was just too dang exhausted to keep doing it at night after the kids went to bed.

Good luck to each of you on your journey. And a special prayer for those out there who want children so badly and haven't had that dream realized yet. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kaylacyr123
    kaylacyr123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    amazing story, you look fabulous and have beautiful children. Thank you so much for sharing
  • fittyfittybumbum
    Options
    Amazing Story!!! Thanks for sharing!!! I have cysts circling both ovaries. Would love to have kids, but considering both ovaries are enclosed with cysts and that I've never been overweight...doctor said that I didn't fit your typical PCOS'er and that I shouldn't expect to conceive. Incredible that your weight kept getting lower with each pregnancy. Your pics are amazing and you look fierce!
  • nekol88
    nekol88 Posts: 33
    Options
    Thank you sooo much for sharing! That truely made me sooo happy reading this post! I want nothing more than to be a mommy, and seeing that you have PCOS and have 4 children mades me so happy and excited to see if weightloss will help me reach my mommy goals :) Way to go...awesome!
  • nekol88
    Options
    Did you lose all the weight by calorie counring and working out? or did you have the use of metaformin? just wondering...i'm going back and forth on asking my Dr. to put me on the med. Thanks :)
  • kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Did you lose all the weight by calorie counring and working out? or did you have the use of metaformin? just wondering...i'm going back and forth on asking my Dr. to put me on the med. Thanks :)

I never took any meds for it. Before baby#1 I worked out frequently and changed my diet some. The second time I lost was from diet changes alone. Before baby #3 I lost by working out 30 mins 3-4 times a week and eating smaller portions. Before getting pregnant this time was my biggest loss by counting calories, working out 6 days a week and eating back my exercise calories. I was determined to succeed and allowed myself no excuses!
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    LOVE YOUR STORY!!! :flowerforyou:

This story is awesome and very similar to mine. I have PCOS. My hubby and I took 4 years of ttc before I decided to lose weight in an effort to help our progress. I lost 25 pounds and now I'm pregnant. Weight loss may not solve everyones infertility issues but it made all the difference in the world for mine. My due date is July 10th and afterwards I intend to continue with my healthier lifestyle.
  • nekol88
    Options
    Congrats to you on your pregnancy!! :)
  • Qfrump
    Qfrump Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your growing family! You look great!
  • shannasaurus_rex
    shannasaurus_rex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I love reading success stories, but PCOS success stories are EXTRA inspiring to me! Congrats on your beautiful family and kudos to you for demonstrating for them what a healthy lifestyle looks like.
  • LaChinaDoll
    LaChinaDoll Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I feel hope! I let myself go after my first baby, working on it though. Thanks for sharing!
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Congrats you look amazing ;)
  • Jeeplette
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your amazing story! I can't tell you how irritated I get when the doctors say I should lose weight...even though I KNOW I need to work on it. Thanks for the motivation!!
  • clairehepple72
    clairehepple72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You are the inspiration I needed, just seeing how amazing you look is enough to make anyone determined.

I have PCOS, Fibromyalgia and I have had a thyroidectomy. I needed to see someone who has succeeded to give me that push. I join the gym today to try and push even further.

Thanks, such an inspiration!!!