found a way to preoccupy my time this year!!

Options
4themoney
4themoney Posts: 797 Member
well, two ways actually :-)

we rescued a second great pyrenees in sept. she was such a doll, except for the fact that she had full blown panic attacks when she was indoors. even in my shed she would totally and completely freak out :-(

i spent sept til jan trying to help her, fix her, even resorted to prescription meds :-( nothing worked. it would for a week maybe two, but then she'd back to her panicked, destructive self. the ONLY way she was ok, was if she was outside ALL day EVERY day. which would have been ok, but she'd start barking at like 130a and wouldn't stop. i'd be woken up from a sound sleep and have to bring her in. it was so sad. she literally destroyed my back door and i'm gonna have to replace it and the screen door and moulding too.

anyway, we ended up taking her back to the rescue because of being out of ideas and not being about to meet her need of being outdoors all the time. it has left a hole in us and in our other pyr, hickok. he is so sad :-(

so, to give me something to do, and to help my doggie, we are gonna get a puppy!!! full bred, siberian husky. training her will take ALL of my extra time so, it will be a great project for 2013!! i put a hold on her today and i'm going to meet her on saturday. i'm super excited and so are my kids. i think it will be good for me, the kids, the puppy and hickok :-)

the other way i'm gonna preoccupy myself is with home improvement projects and yard work, and solving some serious spactial issues....... :-)

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    woohoo PUPPY! I love huskies.
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Fun Stuff! I'm sure she will be beautiful. Please post pics when you get her...
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    OMG!! You are going to have your hands full! 5 kids and a puppy!! A good way to stay busy, though!! :)
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    i KNOW!!
    but, it really will be the best way to stay busy. ya know?
    she'll need TONS of exercise, which will keep me walking and hiking and jogging, etc.
    and she'll need training from the get go. so, i will have a legitimate reason to be busy! i have chickens too, so, she'll need loads of supervision even in the yard.

one of the things i need to do as soon as the temps come up is dig a trench under my fence and fill it in w concrete. hickok digs underneath and i know she'll dig to get out too, LOL! so, that will be a weekend project just by itself!

i am really really excited!!! i've been doing tons of reading on training huskies. i want to make sure we do this right, for the beginning. i really was so sad that we couldn't figure out how to help gracie. she was so sweet and so beautiful and hickok and the kids and i just loved her!

we all LOVE huskies too!!! her dad, looks JUST like a wolf!! it's so awesome.

when i was 18 i spent 3 weeks hiking the wind river range of the grand tetons. it was sooo great! the night we started the trek home we stopped in a video store outside jackson hole. as we walked in the store there was the most amazingly gorgeous dog i had ever seen. but, this dog didn't bark, didn't stand up, didn't sniff us. it just laid there and ignored us. i asked the person in the store what kind of dog it was, and they told me it was part wolf, part Husky. and more wolf than husky. that it never barked ( but would howl) and it didn't behave like a dog. it really was the most gorgeous animal i had ever seen!!! ever since then, i've been in love with huskies!!!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Puppies are so great! I love training Rufio, it's so much fun! It's one of the most amazing things in the world when the dog finally understands what you want from them and even more so when they start offering behaviors!

If you have any struggles with training let me know, I have a ton of resources and recommendations, including fun and informative videos for free up on youtube that I could link you to :)
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Awww!!! Sounds so sweet!!