Favorite Wintertime Exercise (other than the gym)?

Options
I like to walk, but not in the freezing cold. I know there's always the gym, but does anyone else have favorite exercises to do in the winter? I'd especially like to hear things I can do at home.

Replies

• sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    look up workout routines you can do in your home on Youtube. also check out nerdfitness.com -- he has a few in-home workouts you can do with things you have laying around your house.

Another this is to get a yoga ball and do core training using your yoga ball. or get some free weights to do some strength training. Then there's always the workout DVD option -- jillian michaels has a few good ones, or there's P90X, Insanity, the Brazil Butt Lift, etc.

Good luck!
  • loriamcq
    Options
    Thanks. I'm not a big fan of the DVD's. My husband and step son tend to sit there and watch me and unintentionally make me feel self concious. I have a yoga ball... dont think I've ever used it. I'll give that a try :wink: I could also take my yoga stuff downstairs and do it there... with no one watching. Just need to learn how to get that wii fit yoga hooked up to the tv. I definitely need to do something.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My favorite? Broomball!!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Skating! I like skiing but I very rarely go....and other than the gym itself i like classes like Zumba, Yoga, etc....also just played walleyball for the first time (its volleyball in a raquetball court and you can play it off the walls)...that was SUPER fun
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Roller skating, though not at home :smile: I actually started roller skating again when my daughter was 11 months old, after probably 15-18 years of not skating. Anyway in Livonia there is a preschool skate where you could push a stroller and skate, did this for about 4 years weekly with a friend. Now my daughter is 7 and I skate with her weekly and sometimes more. The two rinks I go to depending on who I go with are in Livonia and one in Troy. Both have evening adult skates and both have morning adult lessons, at which you can skate and sort of follow along with. I wear a HRM and try to burn at least 300 calories per skate, time is dependent on if I am by myself or kids involved, I get there quicker when alone or with just adults, ask friends you might be surprised to find some would love to give skating a go.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Racquet ball is my favorite right now, not at home.

I went to sky zone yesterday with my 8 yr old and that was a workout. Wall to wall trampolines. http://skyzonesports.com/grandrapids.aspx
  • sassy_sparkles
    Options
    Sounds like it's time to get the hubby and son on board, the Wii balance board that is! Have your hubby or son teach you how to hook the Wii up to the TV. He'll feel happy to teach you something new and you'll be able to hook it up yourself next time. Challenge the family to some of the games on the Wii fit; make it a fun contest with prizes like winner gets to choose the next healthy dinner to make at home. It will let you spend time together as a family and get healthy together! :-)