Things Vegans Commonly Hear

Options

Replies

• azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents and I are vegan and my grandma really enjoys giving my mom a hard time about it, saying she's "worried" about her getting enough nutrients. My mom has lost over 50 pounds since becoming vegan a couple years ago and my grandma continues to gain a few pounds a year. Last year, my mom's birthday was on Easter, and instead of enjoying a nice vegan lasagna with us on a holiday AND her only child's birthday, my grandma made LAMB (she lives next door) to have with her boyfriend.

The best part? My grandma belongs to PETA. Pretty sure she has no idea what that ACTUALLY means. I printed out a bunch of info. from the PETA website the other day for my mom to give her when she needs to, all about where vegans get their nutrients. ;)

So glad I live two hours away and she has no idea what I eat. :-p
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What about when they say "thousands of years ago all humans ate meat." Well, thousands of years ago there wasn't a 1,000 square foot store where you could buy any food in the world that you were looking for, and no animals would need to be harmed for you to survive!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    "Well what are we going to do about all the animals there are now?" - um I don't know, NOT torture them mercilessly before going to their slow and painful deaths? STOP breeding massive numbers of animals?

"Well I guess I'm just a sociopath because I don't care, bacon tastes good" - I DARE you to do any amount of research into what you're eating and tell me you're making an informed decision. If you can make it through a video from a dairy farm, chicken farm, or slaughterhouse without being in tears or at the very least rethinking how you eat...yes you're a sociopath.

"Your poor son with never know what a great burger tastes like!" - and he won't have to face the fact that he supported an industry built on pain and fear because he was too ignorant to research what he ate. I'm still dealing with the guilt I have from being too lazy to figure out what the food industry was all about for so long. He will live a long life empty of heart disease and most cancers...ok yeah I'll trade him not knowing a burger for that!
  • veggiemodel
    veggiemodel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "Ohh, but fish you can eat, right?" Yes, I can! I could eat your dog too... No big, right?
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There's 3.

1. "I've never had vegan food before." Really?
    - You've never had fruit? vegetables? whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans?

2. "Oh, I forgot, you're not ALLOWED to eat that."
    - I'm allowed, I just choose not to.

3. "I could be vegetarian no problem, but not vegan. I only eat chicken and fish mostly anyways"
    - Chicken and fish are still animals.

There's more but the most common ones have already been covered earlier in this thread. :)
  • LaNetsah
    LaNetsah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The thing that really gets to me, and breaks my heart is when my meat-eating friends complain to me about dogs or cats being abandoned/tortured while eating their burger that many animals were tortured and murdered for.

Also, I'm from Kenya, and people here always complain about the elephant and rhino poachers... yet it's still okay to murder a cow for their taste buds??

The worst was when a friend was complaining and crying over how sad it is that a rhino was killed for it's horn, while she was eating a steak... and when I pointed that out to her, she said: "Well, we eat the whole cow."... (!), so I suggested that we should start eating rhino meat because then it would be fine to murder them for their horn... 'cause we'd be eating the whole rhino. Seriously!!

I wish people would make the connection!!
  • LaNetsah
    LaNetsah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    And, for the "Where do you get your protein? You will die without sufficient protein!" one... I always answer with "Where do you think giraffes and elephants get their protein?". That always shuts people up.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    And, for the "Where do you get your protein? You will die without sufficient protein!" one... I always answer with "Where do you think giraffes and elephants get their protein?". That always shuts people up.

Gorillas too. Those damn anorexic gorillas.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Mention gorillas and someone will point out that they eat termites! Yeah 3% of their diet is insects...hardly comparable to the percentage of meat omnis consume.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    How come nobody ever asks me where I get my fiber from? :wink: :laugh:
  • BritishVegGirl
    BritishVegGirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    but we have pointy teeth so we must need meat
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Mention gorillas and someone will point out that they eat termites! Yeah 3% of their diet is insects...hardly comparable to the percentage of meat omnis consume.

Many people are jealous of vegans. It's something they can't do. They don't have enough will power to give up on their addiction.
  • shellywillmann
    shellywillmann Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ...but really you have to eat dead animal bits and pieces how nuts does that sound.
    LOL I love it! I want to tell this to all my omnivorous family members!
  • vegandave
    vegandave Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    [In an interview with Shape Magazine, Michele revealed her veganism fluctuates, “Well, I go back and forth between [being a vegan and not being a vegan]. I try lots of different things. I really feel that you need to kind of listen to your body and what your body is telling you to eat. So I was a vegan for about two years.”]

This is one of my personal peeves. The above is an online quote made by actress / singer Lea Michele. She has such a power to influence, but as you read, everything is all about her. It's also all about the 'diet'. Veganism is more than what you eat. Actually, what you eat is a byproduct of Veganism. It's about truth and compassion. It's about coexistence. All forms of ism's stem from our narcissistic assertion that other sentient beings can be used, exploited, owned,... but alas, I preach to the choir.
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    I believe beans and rice makes a complete protein. Its pretty tasty, too.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

All that complete protein crap is a myth, disproven for decades. Protein is protein, you don't need to worry about combining.
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    "If we didnt breed animals for food, so many of them would never live. We gave them the gift of life"

Huh? What the ......? :huh:
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

All that complete protein crap is a myth, disproven for decades. Protein is protein, you don't need to worry about combining.

^^THIS^^
  • theundead
    theundead Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    "I'm healthy and I eat meat"

"Thats rabbit food"

"I would of asked if you would like some (cheese/meat/whatever)... but you KNOW...your vegan"
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options

"I would of asked if you would like some (cheese/meat/whatever)... but you KNOW...your vegan"

Gawd, hate this one so much too. It's like, "Oh, I AM?! Thanks SO much for reminding me...otherwise I'd forget, like, every five minutes..."