losing weight during first trimester

Options
I'm currently 9wks and weigh 5.6lbs less than before I conceived. I've been eating really well and still weigh 226lbs so does it matter, or should I be concerned??

Replies

• BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I lost for my entire First Trimester. So long as you're eating well and your Doctor isn't concerned, you should be fine. But if it worries you, talk to your Doctor. I can only tell you my own experience.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am currently 9 weeks and I have lost 1 lbs from food aversions and MS. My Dr is not concerned, but I am healthy BMI. I saw a show once called "Pregnant and...Obese" about a woman who was obese (not saying that you are) and she ate healthily her entire pregnancy, cutting out fast food and her trigger foods. She lost weight her entire pregnancy. But she was under doctor supervision, and ate according to a strict diet set out by a dietitian. You should be okay for now, but if you are very worried, see your dr. Congratulations!
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    I am currently 9 weeks and I have lost 1 lbs from food aversions and MS. My Dr is not concerned, but I am healthy BMI. I saw a show once called "Pregnant and...Obese" about a woman who was obese (not saying that you are) and she ate healthily her entire pregnancy, cutting out fast food and her trigger foods. She lost weight her entire pregnancy. But she was under doctor supervision, and ate according to a strict diet set out by a dietitian. You should be okay for now, but if you are very worried, see your dr. Congratulations!

Oh I am obese, I know it :) That's why part of me thinks it should be ok as I've got weight to spare... it's just hard to know what to do for the best sometimes; there's so much conflicting advice... will have to see what my midwife says (I see her for the first time next week *squeeee!*)

congrats to you too! :)
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am obese and I have lost 20 lbs between week 6-9. My doctor immediately put me on anti-nausea meds and told me to stop working out. When I saw my doctor on Thursday for my 11 week check up he was happy that I gained 6 pounds back from the 20. So my total weight loss in the first trimester is 14lbs. I now have to go see a dietitian about eating enough. In the past 3 years I have lost a total of 130 pounds, with just eating healthy and working out. So I am trying to learn to eat at maintenance and not think I am going to gain all the weight back if I eat over 2000 calories in a day. My ob has known me since I was 18 so he knows all the work I have done and knows that I am going to need help.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie intake?
  • finding_sammi
    Options

I've looked at my past week and it's generally about 1650
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

I've looked at my past week and it's generally about 1650

It might be a little low for you if you're not maintaining. I think if you're obese, it's quite normal to lose during the first and sometimes second trimester.

Sounds like you're doing pretty well though, so I wouldn't worry as long as you're getting enough nutrition!
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I read it is normal for some people to loose a bit during the first trimester and the baby gains the most weight in the third one. In a famine study with pregnant women only babies on a famine diet in the third trimester were affected with an 11 oz average lower birth weight then non famine babies.
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question, I am around the same weight and am still losing a pound a week, not on purpose but not from being sick either. I will be 12 weeks on Tuesday.

igottaworkout: that is really interesting, and thinking back, I believe that is why my first 2 children were small. In the third trimester with both, my blood pressure got really high and I had to go to the low sodium diet which just wasn't appealing so I actually remember losing weight in the third trimester.
  • AlliH621
    AlliH621 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are fine as long as you are eating healthy foods and plenty of servings of them. I found this article to be very helpful and I look at it a few times a week to remind me how much of each category I should be eating.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/pregnancy/101/diet.aspx

I am 13 weeks 4 days and I still have not gained any weight - maybe 1 pound in the past couple days. Obviously with food aversions and nothing sounding good to eat, that has contributed, but I also think that because I'm eating healther, that is part of the reason.

I prefer to not gain more than 25, because I am already 190. So the fact that I haven't gained any yet does not have me worried. Hopefully the doctor will agree when I go back on 2/12.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I was told (by my midwife) that obese pregnant women should gain 15-20 lbs during the pregnancy. Generally, most of that weight gain comes near the end.

As long as you are eating good nutritious food and not starving yourself, I would not worry about the weight loss at this point. Listen to your body. If you are hungry, then find a good snack.