Any new foods/exercise you like that you didn't like before?

Options
When I ever I watch a weight loss show (Biggest Loser or even an interview with someone who lost a bunch a weight) they always say things like, "Now I love veggies!" or "I don't like sugar any more". or "I'm LOVE going to the gym!". Honestly, I find that hard to believe! lol.

But, I never used to like carrots. I started eating a handful of baby carrots every day at lunch to help fill me up and give me some crunch. I had a bag at home because my son likes them, so I had them some in the evening. Then I ran out. And I found I missed them. Now I have a big bag at home and at work.

I can't say I'm loving drinking water, but it isn't as hard as previous times. I got a bright red sports bottle with a flip top and straw. It even has a loop on top for easy carrying. And I drain 3 or 4 (or more!) times a day.

And I'm loving Zumba. We just had our 2nd class. (I knew I would like it, because I had tried it before.)

Replies

• sianll
    sianll Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always liked water, so that's easy. I find I like a good salad more than I used to. I have a friends who is a long time Vegitarian, any time I eat one of her salads I think how good they are. Lots of variety and crunch plus she always adds in a protein. I need to be able to make a salad like that - where the variety is in the salad and not the dressing <har>

My sister **loves** Zumba - I'm a bit afraid I'll fall over - exhaustion or balance take your pick. guess I have to start somewhere so maybe I'll give it a try.
  • matti07
    matti07 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    when I had gotten to a gym regularly a while ago, I found myself craving leafy greens. waiting for that to happen again (although I am eating a salad most days for lunch, so maybe I'm not giving my body a chance to crave)
  • Terri_terri
    Terri_terri Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use to hate yogurt but now I love them and have to have 2 or 3 a day. 90 calories & no fat:)
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options

My sister **loves** Zumba - I'm a bit afraid I'll fall over - exhaustion or balance take your pick. guess I have to start somewhere so maybe I'll give it a try.

The thing to remember if you try Zumba (or any cardio dance class) is you don't have to do what everyone else is doing! (If they are traveling, you want to move the same direction so you don't trampled! :laugh: ) Just try to keep your feet moving. Most of the people in our class at work are over 200. And we get tired. And some have bad knees and can't do the squats and lunges. I'm trying to jump, but I can't do each one. Just move as much as you can. :smile:
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I do it at home, with Refit Rev youtube playlists. :) Foodwise, I'm finding that I really like bell peppers, broccoli and spinach. I thought I was going to have to hold my nose and choke them down. haha! I also have found that I like whole wheat breads and pastas.
  • KatArceneaux
    Options
    I can now eat boiled eggs ...without the "devil" ;)
    and I just tried my first ever veggie burger (black bean chipotle) which was actually D-lish!
  • Sweetpickles99
    Options
    I can now eat boiled eggs ...without the "devil" ;)
    and I just tried my first ever veggie burger (black bean chipotle) which was actually D-lish!

Why can't you eat deviled, just make with mustard only..yummy
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I hate soft drink, I'm not hating jogging. I just took a 7 day trial pass at a local gym and plan on trying 1 new class each day for a week.
  • watchthis1970
    watchthis1970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I never cared for sweet potatoes, didn't even like the thanksgiving type with brown sugar and butter. Now I started to saute them with what ever meat I was cooking. I have cooked them with pork and chicken. Its not just a plain sweet potatoe then.
  • KatArceneaux
    Options
    bc I'm a mayo addict ;) ...but transitioning to mustard in baby steps
  • DreyLove
    Options
    I love Zumba...

I didn't like Broccoli before but I'm starting to tolerate it... (hoping to get past the "thought" of not liking it before eating it so that I can eat it) ~ Hope that makes sense.. lol

I drink lots of water but it has to be COLD with Ice or I'm just not into drinking it.

Funny thing... My son eats the food he doesn't like first on his plate so he can get it "out of the way". I started to do the same thing and find I'm getting more vegetables. He noticed that I was eating broccoli the other day (he likes it) and said, "mom, you ate broccoli? I noticed you ate it off your plate first!" and he laughed. I think he caught on to me doing what he does. LOL
  • nsapp
    nsapp Posts: 9
    Options
    I still struggle with water, buy my dietician told me if was okay to add things like crystal lite or MIO to my water. I have been using a generic O calorie water enhancer, and I must say I have done better and increased my water consumption. Not where it needs to be, but a lot better.:tongue:
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have tried avocado and butternut squash recently for the first time. I loved the avocade, I slice it and put it on sandwiches for some extra punch, I steamed my butternut squash and it was ok but it will take some getting used to :) I also tried starfruit, which was ok, again will take some getting used to.

When I fix a lunchmeat sandwich I put a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese in place of sliced cheese (they are only 35 calories and come in lots of flavors!!)

I am pretty sure I will never "love" the gym but I'm trying to make myself go at least 3 days a week right now. I did love water aerobics when I was going, lots of fun and lots of nice ladies. I've heard zumba is fun but I'm scared to look like a fool :)

Good luck on your journey, I am always looking for new support if you want to add and vise versa
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I am starting to like going to the gym because it gives me an outlet for my stress other than stuffing food in my face. I have developed a love affair with unsweet tea (green and regular) now that I have eliminated soda from my diet. I have also found some dishes that I like from restaurant "lighter section" of the menu. Things that I never would have tried in the past and now I wish I had.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have tried avocado and butternut squash recently for the first time.

I have never been an avocado fan, but I tried it last week at small group (church) and it wasn't horrible. I can't say I like it yet, but I'm closer. :)
    When I fix a lunchmeat sandwich I put a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese in place of sliced cheese (they are only 35 calories and come in lots of flavors!!)

This is my secret weapon! I use Laughing Cow in place of cheese AND mayo every day for lunch. Even the non-light flavors are only 50 calories.
  • cielbee
    Options
    I always preferred just about any exercise to the treadmill, but I wanted to mix up what I was doing at the gym and after a couple of months I've become quite attached to the treadmill. I'm actually enjoying it. I would have never dreamed that would happen.
  • recee27
    Options
    I have tried avocado and butternut squash recently for the first time. I loved the avocade, I slice it and put it on sandwiches for some extra punch, I steamed my butternut squash and it was ok but it will take some getting used to :) I also tried starfruit, which was ok, again will take some getting used to.

I am pretty sure I will never "love" the gym but I'm trying to make myself go at least 3 days a week right now. I did love water aerobics when I was going, lots of fun and lots of nice ladies. I've heard zumba is fun but I'm scared to look like a fool :)

Good luck on your journey, I am always looking for new support if you want to add and vise versa

If looking like a fool is your biggest worry, TRUST ME.....you have NO WORRIES!!! I thought exactly the same thing before I tried my first class. Not everyone in there is a pro, or even close to being one. Most of the people are feeling the same things you are. And another thing, nobody will be watching you.....they are too busy watching the instructor to care about what anyone else is doing. Everyone I have spoken to about this very subject that does zumba says the same thing. I took one class a month ago and now I'm hooked! I absolutely love it. I'm usually the biggest person in the class too, but I am getting better. You should at least give it a try. You may just love it!!
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Water. Ugh. But Mio and Dasani drops are my new bff's.