Just Diagnosed

Options
Hi everyone! I found out this week that I have PCOS. I have been having so many problems lately and doctors couldn't really tell me what's wrong. I switched to a gyno and she took some additional blood tests. They called me this week and diagnosed me and I have another appointment Monday to find out more. All I know is that they said they will put me on some meds when I come in for my next appointment to help us conceive. I have been doing a lot of research online but I still have so many questions and feel really confused. The first night I found out I bawled my eyes out because my husband and I want a baby so bad. I have seen that a lot of people have luck getting pregnant when they change their diets but I can't figure out which diet to go with. Some people say eat whole grains and wheat, others say gluten free, and some say avoid any grains all together and avoid gluten-free. I think I am overwhelming myself right now, hopefully I will get some more answers Monday when I go to the doctor. I think it is so great that there are so many groups with women going through this. Any advice for me?

Replies

• thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, experienced, and what my doc told me, low-carb or low glycemic diets are best. From what I understand, our bodies have troubles involving insulin/blood sugar regulation. Women with PCOS's bodies only use about 30% of the carbs that we eat because our bodies have trouble converting the sugars into energy that our muscles can use, causing our bodies to store the rest of the carbs as body fat.
    I've had great success on a low carb diet, and even feel better and more energetic. Just google Low glycemic diet and there are lots of articles and books that will help.
    I''m also gluten free, but only because I have a gluten intolerance. However, I've noticed that a lot of ladies here with PCOS also feel better gluten free. Good luck!!
  • nekol88
    nekol88 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hey there :) I know exactly how you feel...my husband and I also want to start a family soooo badly. I've been diagnosed with PCOS since the age of 16 so I've always known it would be a little more difficult, but I'm still hopeful :) I found this book that helped me soooo much just thought i'd tell you about it! It's called "the PCOS workbook, your guide to complete physical and emotional health" its such a fun way to learn about PCOS, as you go through it is asks questions and you write in the book and I dunno I just loved this book. It also recommends what you should eat and when. (I did this for 3 weeks, and lost 9 lbs...but then Christmas came and I got sidetracked :/) You should eat every 3-5 hours, so you don't get overly hungry and start bindge eating. (Which I know too well, lol) Also, it gives you a food list and measurements on what you should eat and how many grains, proteins, fruits, veggies, and fats you should eat at each meal. It's pretty awesome, I loved how it actually tells you what to do and doesn't just leave it for you to figure out :) If you'd like, I could message it to you the list, just let me know :)

Also, my Dr. told me I should start taking prenatal vitamins as we are trying...didn't know if you were or not :) But anytime you need to talk or anything just let me know :)
  • tiffyleab
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful replies!
    Yes, i would love to see that list. I go in tomorrow for a doctor appointment to get some meds but I like to do as much as I can naturally. Some people are telling me that they know people with pcos that their doctors didn't recommend any special diet but from what I have read, healthier eating habits are the way to go. I am currently taking a multivitamin and folic acid but I will post what the doctor suggests tomorrow. Thanks for the support.
  • chelle3283
    chelle3283 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I cried too when i was diagnosed. its hard. i have 2 kids but with one it took 8 months to get pg and the other one 18 months. we want one more but the doctor said i need to lose weight. He told me that a low carb diet is the way to go. I tried it at first and it frusturated me cuz everything has carbs so i asked him if i could just do a low calorie diet. he said id lose more weight faster on a low carb diet. but start the low carb diet and once i get that mastered then add in low calorie. if you have any other questions feel free to ask. hang in there.
  • tiffyleab
    Options
    I went in yesterday and they gave me a progesterone (sp?) shot in my hip to get my cycles to start again. They are going to have me take clomid on days 5-9 of my cycle and then estrace days 6-16. They also want me to do an ovulation kit to make sure that the clomid helps me ovulate or to see if I need a stronger dose. They didn't say anything about diet but when I asked they said to think like a diabetic, low carb and low sugar. They said that type of diet would be beneficial to anyone.