Please tell me I wont always finish last!

Options
shaywallis
shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
Why do I feel like such a failure for finishing last in the WOD today?? Its ridiculous. I've only been CFing since this past Monday (went 5 times this week!). I dont know why I expect to be super woman so fast. I haven't worked out in over 4 years!! Either way my 26min WOD time is nagging at me today = / Someone remind me that excellence isn't an over night miracle!

Replies

• kkenny0146
    kkenny0146 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You finished. That was more than you were doing before. Progress doesn't happen overnight, and you should not expect it to, doing so will drive you crazy. Last night there were 3 people working out, one of which was the coach and owner of the box, and one other guy who is just in amazing shape. I finished last, by a lot, but i never gave up. I didn't stop and I fought the entire time.

One guy at the box said to remember you eat an elephant one bite at a time. When you start to see progress from where you started, whether it be in range of motion, strength or endurance it will show that it is paying off. Even then you still might finish last, but your time will be better. Compete against yourself, not everyone else.

I have been at it for two months now at 4x per week. It is great and has been the best thing for me. Just keep at it, progress will happen.
  • lacyangelica
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to everyone else. That is a surefire way to end up depressed. You can only do your personal best. Give yourself time to get strong. The stuff they do at crossfit is hardcore. It's not a zumba class. Keep going and working hard and you'll see progress in no time.
  • shaywallis
    Options
    Thanks guys <3 I think part of my problem was that I'm going to a box that just opened up. I normally go in the mornings and I'm the only person there (aside from the coach) and I got use to doing the WODs by myself. So it was a new feeling being with so many people. I did love it though, it really gave me an extra push. I've deff seen improvement in my cardio and strength, just in this past week alone. My first WOD at the beginning of the month ( I got a free trial week and went a few times) I thought I was going to DIE!! My chest felt like it was collapsing. I'm pretty sure that WOD took me about 30mins and I almost puked afterwards. Now I can do WODs and I dont feel like I'm dying lol. I'll be back at it tomorrow. Just have to keep telling myself "stronger than yesterday!!"
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Please don't be so hard on yourself. We have all been the newby ourselves and it's pretty intimidating at the best of times.
    You started it and you finished it - that's an awesome achievement!
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - take the small victories. I will watch them demo moves in WODs and in my head be like "umm yea right I can't do that" lol. Then when I finish it's like MY GOD IM A BEAST hahahaha.

Revel in your small victories - finishing the WOD, not getting cut off for time, improving from your last times, increase in the weight a little from last time...I'm diggin that. I was doing the same thing you are when I first started going, but then I realized I can't compare myself with Joey the endurance athlete that is in pretty much perfect shape and has been there forever lol....I've only been going about a month myself now.

What's the saying I see all over CrossFit pages? Progress not Perfection, I believe :) Which is hard for me to change my mindset to as well because I've been Wonder Woman since I was a kid lol
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If I finish first, I take it as a sign to add more weight for next time :bigsmile:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Its you vs you....nuff said.

Z
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Its you vs you....nuff said.

Z

I like that.
  • shaywallis
    Options
    = D I'm starting to feel/look at things in a more positive light. I got my best WOD time ever today! 13:21. whoo hoo!! AND I found out I'm pretty fantastic at toes to rings = )

on a side note, I worked on overhead squats for the first time today. Oh man those are hard!! At first I was just doing it with the 35# bar, but then had to switch to a pvc pipe. Its crazy how much balance is needed to do OHS.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    If I finish first, I take it as a sign to add more weight for next time :bigsmile:

THIS! I was surprised NOT to have finished last in today's WOD and took it as a sign that I needed to alter my scalings. The most fit girl in the session finished last because she was doing Rx (5 rounds for time: 400m run, 15 chest to bar, 50 double-unders). Watching her chest to bar was a beautiful thing.
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You do crossfit which makes you amazing. You FINISHED which takes mental toughness. When I started crossfit would ruin the entire rest of my day. I'd just want to sleep. You'll get there!