new to mfp

Options
Hi, I joined a few days ago been on many so called diets. always lost weigh but gained it all back. Looking to find people with similiar experiences. share thoughts recipes etc. Lori

Replies

• marymhowe
    Options
    I've been on mfp for 8 days now and have also done Zumba twice and cardio and weights once within this 8 days and haven't lost an ounce-literally. I'm a little frustrated and wondering if I need to cut carbs out as well. I usually have pretty good sucess with low card diets but they are so hard to stick to. I'm 52 and wondering my matabolism is too slow to process the amount of carbs allowed on this diet. Looking for any advise out there.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Are you easting less than 1500 calories? My nutritionist had me following before I had my VGS. It idid not matter what made up the calories. Of course it depends on how much you have to lose. I had a great deal to lose so I lost alot in 3 months time.
  • eyano001
    eyano001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Joined MFP a week ago and I am extremely happy. Turning 50 next June got me into this. I panicked when I realized that I was moving to the 5th floor and my suitcase was 70 Lbs. overweight. MFP has helped me to organize my eating habits and actually, it made me downsize the portions. I did not even know that I was eating about 3000 cal per day!!!!! What a shame! I hope I'll have the mental strength to keep on the program and to come back whenever I fall.
  • eyano001
    Options
    I am eating about 1300 cal. It does make a difference, but I also noticed that sometimes I get carried away and I loose it. I need to constantly remind myself that I have to go back downsizing the amount of calories.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thats the most you can ask ot yourself. Good for you that you are trying.! I know that when I stop logging my food for even a day, it is just to easy to pretend you didn't blow it. I also hope I will come back if I fall of MFP.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Hi, I joined a few days ago been on many so called diets. always lost weigh but gained it all back. Looking to find people with similiar experiences. share thoughts recipes etc. Lori
    Welcome. I've tried, over the past 30 years, starvation and vegetarian and Weight Watchers; lost about 50 pounds within a year each time but slowly gained it back. This time, I'm not going back up the scale. I'm 11-12 pounds shy of my goal weight; been at it since Feb 2012. There are lots of options for losing weight here. I found what works for me. Second choice is sensible, staid Weight Watchers. It's worked twice for me; easy to modify and understand, plus teaches good food and their recipe books are very good. It's just not enough food! However, my first choice is Eat To Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman or his more general Eat For Health plan. Love it! Eat To Live is concerned with health and nutrition, not just weight loss. It's easier than counting points, and I don't have to go hungry. That's my 2 cents!
    Good luck on your journey.
  • switchoff
    Options
    Hi and welcome,
    I too started a week ago and I have already learned a lot about food value. I'm on 1200 per day and feel okay so far. I don't think of myself as being on a diet. I think of having 1200 calories TO SPEND each day on anything I want.
  • bcraigrncen
    bcraigrncen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, I joined a while back, but started taking it seriously about 2 weeks ago. I am doing Dr Fuhrman's program Eat to Live. I saw him on Dr. Oz and decided to get to know more about his program. It isn't for everyone, but I feel better than I have in years. My appetite is under control and the cravings are almost gone. I have a fleeting craving on occasion. I try to work out at least 30 minutes a day. The first week was a little rough to be honest, but I am glad I stuck with it.
  • eyano001
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I am new here also. I'm Cindy, need to loose 100 pounds, will turn 55 in July, this is my 2nd time around loosing 100 pounds and it is much harder this time. First time I was in my teens and early 20s. I have 3 adult children and a new grand daughter. Love dogs and live in the cold hardy northern state of MN. I have been on here awhile but just started actually using it this last week because my daughter who is also loosing weight wanted me to join her here. I intend to take my goals 10 pounds at a time until I see that magic number pop up on the scale. My motto is " There is no food that taste as good as being healthy feels." Been there once and know that this is true. Friend me if you think we can encourage each other. Talk to you soon! Chin Up /Weight Down
  • pondmermaid
    pondmermaid Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great Motto, CindyRip! Hey you all- I am the 100th member :) Am glad to join in with a wonderful group of women who are actively trying to improve their health. Just doing that is huge. I am not sure how months of being overweight turned into many years but I'm not going to look back - just going to go forward!
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group today, too, but have been on MFP for a year, and losing weight for about a year and a half. Have lost a total of 172 pounds since August of 2011! Dropped sugar and processed foods, went on mostly plant based diet with lots of vegetables! Wanty to lose another 40 or 50 pounds.