Are your MFP friends motivating?

Options
mixtapemusings
mixtapemusings Posts: 36 Member
Do you feel like your MFP friends motivate you enough? Do you want them to comment on your activities and give inspiration? I find it hard to find people that post inspiring things or comment on your progress and activities. I've found a few but most people just want to go it alone.

What kind of presence do you like your MFP friends to have?

Replies

• bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I could say or do more for my MFP friends, but yet I keep typing the same old wtg/awesome/excellent/great job/keep it up on everybody's losses. I don't normally comment on exercise burns because there are just oo many on my feed, and also because I feel like I keep saying the same things over and over. If only I could be one of those cool people that comments on everything in a way that makes it personal without ever having met the person!

I have a few really good ones. Maybe I can steal a few pages from their How To Be A Good MFP Friend book!
  • mixtapemusings
    mixtapemusings Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ya, I feel like I say the same 'Awesome' or WTG in comments too. It's really hard to keep up with when you have a large feed.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of motivation form my friends, both from their feedback and from the amount of effort they put into their exercise and food routines. I feel like I'm starting to make some good internet relationships.
  • derekjnichols
    derekjnichols Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many apps before, and I think the only thing that's keeping me at MFP is the social aspect of it. I love the communication that goes on here because everyone's typically focused on one thing- health.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many apps before, and I think the only thing that's keeping me at MFP is the social aspect of it. I love the communication that goes on here because everyone's typically focused on one thing- health.

I agree. I started using the logging features on my iPad, then came to the website for convenience, then found all these great people doing great things.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I try to be encouraging/motivating to my MFP pals when they're doing really great things, or respond if they mention feeling discouraged. I don't necessarily congratulate them every time they work out or come in under calories, but if they try a new exercise, have a really impressive session, or mention setting a new PR, I'll definitely make a point to congratulate them if I see it!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I guess I motivate myself more than anything, but I find the social aspect overall very motivating.

I do have MOST of my diary things turned off and I think most of my friends do as well (you can make it so your diary completions, exercise, etc don't get posted to people) so its all just chit-chat but its with people who all have the same GENERAL goal - some increased level of fitness.
  • sjiphone
    sjiphone Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes. My MFP friends are great. It means a lot to get motivating messages, especially on the 'bad' days.
  • slowly_changing12
    slowly_changing12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    looking at my friends list i would say some are motivating and others are not....for i would say 50/50.
  • tsherrill
    tsherrill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just having people who understand what I'm going through and saw small or large words of encouragement is awesome. Just this morning two people's quick congrats helped guide me away from the cookies in the conference room.
  • melverous
    melverous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes! MFP friends are motivating. However, when you get too busy to comment on anything, like me, I wish I can say more. I can't really say much or comment a lot on someone finishing their diaries, or exercising and what-not. It's tedious! I feel bad for that. However, I do say congrats every now and then when its due :D At the end of the day, I've realized that you are your own motivation, it is about how badly you want to change and what you'll do to get there.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    A couple of people mentioned the monotony of "way to go" and "great job" etc, I know what you mean but on the other hand I feel quite touched when people comment like this to me - its not so much the words themselves but that someone has even bothered to take the time. I try to leave personalised messages because I also especially like those but it's not always practical and any message at all is appreciated in my eyes
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    its not so much the words themselves but that someone has even bothered to take the time.

This...so much.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just having others that know the struggles helps. There always seems to be someone to comment just when you need them.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options

This^^
  • emjohn69
    emjohn69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Although I have many friends on MFP, only 2 are friends in 'real life'. The messages from everyone are nice and are encouraging, but the attention and comments I get from the two I know seems especially motivating. One in particular is the type of person that will 'tell it like it is' and hold me accountable. His support has caught me a couple time here on MFP when I've fallen and otherwise would have given up totally. I don't know if I could get that from someone I've never met. Perhaps over time, those relationships will grow, but for now I feel like the people I know help the most.
  • ronboy1979
    ronboy1979 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Have loved this app and love the social aspect to it as we'll. always looking for new friends to support and motivate !