Comic book suggestions

Options
sedwards9999
sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
As a kid, I read Marvel comics like crazy. My favs were; The Hulk, Fantastic 4, Spiderman and Thor.

I haven't picked up a comic in many years was thinking of diving back in. What are some good ones to check out?

Replies

• Routerninja
    Options
    If you have an iPad or Tablet, get a Marvel Unlimited subscription and read them digitally. :) I'd recommend browsing there and see what you like,

For the DC universe. pick up some of the new 52 titles. those have generally been pretty good,.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'll check it out.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You might also want to check out Marvel's Ultimate line. It started in 2000 kind of like a "What if Spider-man became Spider-man today",and they did it with the whole universe, so you can find Ultimate Fantastic 4, Ultimate Spider-Man, etc. The Avengers are called The Ultimates.

I like these because I don't have to know all the backstory on these characters because they're all being presented as new.
  • bobs_god
    bobs_god Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Love me some comics! I think if you were a fan when you were younger of marvel definitely take a look at some of the cross over arcs. I would say if you were a fan of hulk and if you haven't read them pick up the planet hulk and world war hulk series. I loved the civil war series and also the secret invasion series all good. I love ol' tin head iron man so maybe the extremis series? I liked Mark Gaiman's 1602 series which places marvel superheros in 1602 (funny that) which I though was a great read.

In terms of DC if you haven't read them the The Dark Night and Dark knight strikes again are essential reading frank miller is a genius with these.

I have so much more but feel I would look like a crazy person if I kept going...........
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    The current Hawkeye by Matt Fraction/David Aja is amazing. It's been topping every list plus it's just awesome. It's not very "superhero" though as it follows Hawkeye when he's not on duty with the Avengers. He's basically Neighborhood Crime Watch but it still rocks.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    You looking to stick with what you know or try some Indi stuff?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPad or Tablet, get a Marvel Unlimited subscription and read them digitally. :) I'd recommend browsing there and see what you like,

For the DC universe. pick up some of the new 52 titles. those have generally been pretty good,.

I seconded the subscription. It was awesome for work! Until they wised up and blocked the website )=
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Oh and the current Captain Marvel is pretty awesome too. I fell off a bit (hard to kepe up and afford all these books :laugh: ) I plan on picking up the trade when I can.
  • Ericsawicki
    Ericsawicki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would recommend almost anything in the New 52. I like the standards like superman, batman, and green lantern. Grifter isn't too bad and the new Sherlock Holmes looks like it is going to be pretty good too. If you really want to get your geek on, IDW did a Star Trek the next generation/ Dr. Who crossover that is just fantastic.
  • ChristieNJFitnessAddict
    Options
    I'm obsessed with the Walking Dead Comics. I highly recommend them if you like zombies. Dark Horse has a bunch of great selections like Star Wars and such too.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Mine arrived this morning w00t :happy:

78704_E4_E_B485_481_C_90_DF_C9_CA635_DEA85_478_0000012.jpg
  • Dawmer299
    Options
    As a kid, I read Marvel comics like crazy. My favs were; The Hulk, Fantastic 4, Spiderman and Thor.

I haven't picked up a comic in many years was thinking of diving back in. What are some good ones to check out?

I just did the same thing. With Marvel having a reboot and starting the majority of the issues over at issue 1, I wanted to get in at the ground level. I havent had time to read them all but I've picked up almost everything since the reboot.

I pick up random ones from other publishers if see something that catches my eye from the cover art but again havent read them yet.