Campbell's Broth Has Wheat GLUTEN

Options
FitnessPalWorks
FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
Yeah.

So yesterday I was on day 3 of being sick with the flu.... and marginally delirious with a continued 101.5 temperature.

I went to the store as I had ran out of home made broth, and Campbell's broth was on sale 10/$10 so I bought... well you guessed it, 10. I figure I'd go through them I'm that sick! I didn't think to check the can, after all, it's JUST BROTH, right?

I never thought I'd be up at 3:30am my time sick to my stomach because stupid Campbell's thought it would be a lovely idea to flat out list WHEAT GLUTEN as one of the primary ingredients of the broth! Seriously? Why is that even in there???

So I'm sick with the flu AND dealing with a bad gluten reaction at the same time...... OMG gah.... :mad:

Replies

• wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Poor thing! That is awful.

Unfortunately Campbells puts gluten in most of their soups.

If you can get some digestive enzymes (source naturals IS gluten free) they will really help your system break everything down.

Many hugs for you. x
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'll get some in the morning when the stores open.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Campbell Soup is one of the worst offenders. They do not give a darn about the celiac community. If I get broth, I get other brands.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Broth is one of those things you have to watch carefully. MOST of them have gluten in them. Pacific Naturals has some that are GF, but I'm not sure if all of theirs do, so I still read labels.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better soon. If you have access to Costco, their Kirkland Organic Chicken Stock is gluten free.
  • Garlicmash
    Options
    It will be to thicken the soups and is probably a lot cheaper than a none modified gf starch.
    it's so stupid cause if they changed that one thing in many of their soups a hell of a lot more people would buy them meaning they would make a lot more money than what they save from using wheat products in the long run.
    It is always about saving money
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Campbells is awful! I haven't found a single soup of theirs that doesn't have gluten in it. If you are looking for simple chicken broth then Swanson is GF. I use the low sodium. Progresso has started coming out with a few GF flavors, but the only one that isn't super high in carbs and sodium is the vegetable. Its pretty good though. Sorry you got so sick on top of the flu! I'm also super careful about soups at restaurants too, 9 times out of 10 they are not GF. Hope you feel better soon :)
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    :( I would guess they use it to up the protein count. (Probably cause they don't use real chicken) Thanks for the heads up, sorry you had to find out this way.
  • neverwhich
    Options
    Most bouillon cubes also contain gluten. Which is apparently the reason why, even if you avoid the flour tortillas and tortilla chips at Moe's, you're still going to get a glutening if you order anything made with the chicken - it's cooked in a gluten-containing bouillon. *sigh*
    I found one commercially available, microwavable soup bowl that was gluten free. It was Kettle Cuisine, and it was wonderful. Sadly, they couldn't get enough market share, and they were discontinued, last year.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Most bouillon cubes also contain gluten. Which is apparently the reason why, even if you avoid the flour tortillas and tortilla chips at Moe's, you're still going to get a glutening if you order anything made with the chicken - it's cooked in a gluten-containing bouillon. *sigh*
    I found one commercially available, microwavable soup bowl that was gluten free. It was Kettle Cuisine, and it was wonderful. Sadly, they couldn't get enough market share, and they were discontinued, last year.

Amy's Organic, has some decent GF soups. I don't like the coconut one tho.