I thought I was the only one!

Options
IsabellaC45
IsabellaC45 Posts: 137 Member
Haha, I'm semi Vegan if that exists too! I'm not morally opposed to eating animal products, but just don't because I don't like the taste/don't want the calories from meat and dairy. :)

Replies

• cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't know if that's a "real thing" but hey, whatever works to fit your lifestyle!! :smile:
  • earthpagan87
    Options
    honestly, most meat grosses me out. I have always been really picky about what meat I eat. unfortunately it is the processed junk that doesn't gross me out. my basic rule is if it still looks like or reminds me that it was an animal, I have a hard time eating it. it doesn't bother me that others are hard core carnivores. Ideally everyone would eat kosher meat because of the way it is butchered but that isn't a realistic option for everyone (especially in the Midwest where kosher is hard to come by and expensive. But that is me :)
  • cole_ashleyy
    Options
    Yeah, I don't get as grossed out with cooked meat.. but raw- forget about it! Which makes cooking a bit difficult, but I manage. I just don't eat red meat.. ever. And I go days without any meat but I can't be a fill vegetarian because I'm super picky and won't eat beans and some other things so I wouldn't be getting my protein it. I can't think about the fact that it comes from an animal at all though.
  • weemocky1mags
    weemocky1mags Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is me!!!

Lol don't eat any meat because I don't like. And won't eat vege substitutes cos as I said, I don't like meat or meat tasting products. I eat chicken fillet nearly every day. And on occasion tinned tuna steak. I thought it was just me haha great to and hear from others in the same boat as they say.

If any1 wants to add me would be great cos could do with the encouragement :)
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am considering turning vegetarian - though the thought scares the bejeebers out of me because I LOVE meat. I really do love it. And I absolutely dislike most foods that vegetarians require. Rice? Most beans? Most vegetables? Yuk!

But the ethical aspects of my diet are beginning to bother me, so it's time to address. I'm starting by learning about ways to put together a vegetarian diet without lentils and those other disgusting "health foods". I'm wondering if I can use eggs and protein shakes for protein and really good vitamins combined with garden salads for the rest of the diet.

Any insight here would be helpful, and hopefully, I can learn from this group.
  • cole_ashleyy
    Options
    I am considering turning vegetarian - though the thought scares the bejeebers out of me because I LOVE meat. I really do love it. And I absolutely dislike most foods that vegetarians require. Rice? Most beans? Most vegetables? Yuk!

But the ethical aspects of my diet are beginning to bother me, so it's time to address. I'm starting by learning about ways to put together a vegetarian diet without lentils and those other disgusting "health foods". I'm wondering if I can use eggs and protein shakes for protein and really good vitamins combined with garden salads for the rest of the diet.

Any insight here would be helpful, and hopefully, I can learn from this group.

Well a semiveg diet is essentially no red meat.

Eggs have protien, soy/soy milk/edamame, protein shakes def... you can make fruit smoothies and put whey powder or something but they wouldn't be a substitute for meals, peanut butter, yogurt, I get soy pudding (although proteins still low), milk, cheese, nuts... then there's things like tofu, seitan, tempeh, portobello mushrooms have about 5grams or so, then of course beans and chickpeas. You need to watch and make sure that you're not only getting the protein but also other nutrients like vitamin B for example. Whole grains are a good way to get vitamin B and zinc. Some of the really good grains for amino acids/protein would be quinoa, buckwheat, barley, and bulgar. Those are things that you can substitute for things like rice to add protein to your daily intake. You can google them to get more detailed information.

Another thing with trying to cut out meats is to be careful with frozen and packaged foods. It's easier to pick up soy-something from the freezer section of the grocery store but then you have to really be careful of the sodium content.